Discrimination against HCWs not providing contraceptives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hippias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: Never mind, I didn't notice the other thread that has this same subject. I don't think I can delete on this forum either.

Read this on CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/16/lawsuit.health.care/index.html
A lawyer on behalf of several states is suing to have a law repealed that protects doctors who refuse to perform abortions, provide contraceptives, etc. from discrimination.

The fed argues
"Doctors and other health care providers should not be forced to choose between good professional standing and violating their conscience," Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt said in a statement then. "This rule protects the right of medical providers to care for their patients in accord with their conscience."

Opinions? Should doctors be protected so they can exercise their own moral judgment?

IMO, this is not a matter of good professional standing vs. violation of HCW's (health care workers) system of morals, but a question of patient's sense of well being vs. HCW's sense of well being for their patient. Doctors and HCW's have a duty to provide for patient's well being regardless of their own personal beliefs, and a question a doc should ask himself before going down the med path is if he can put someone else's sense of well being over what he thinks is morally right or wrong for him or the patient.

Keep in mind that I am looking for your opinions, and I am not trying to prove my own right. I'm happy to discuss it, but I'm not interested in an online ethical argument.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: