Discrimination against Anesthesia CCM docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My personal experience is that there are also ccm only (no pulm consults) gigs out there that prefer IM trained for whatever reason. I have even seen some that are openly advertised that way. On the flip side, I see more and more ads specifically stating they don’t care what one’s primary specialty is as long as ccm boarded.

There are all kind of jobs for sure. I was merely pointing out, Pulm doesn't necessary prefer Pulm because "Pulm is "better"" but because it usually fits in a model better.

There are a decent number of hospitals that don't have any pulmonary associated with them. They need someone staffing their ICUs.

Members don't see this ad.

There are all kind of jobs for sure. I was merely pointing out, Pulm doesn't necessary prefer Pulm because "Pulm is "better"" but because it usually fits in a model better.

There are a decent number of hospitals that don't have any pulmonary associated with them. They need someone staffing their ICUs.
I have straight up applied for CCM only jobs run by Pulmonologists and been told that they don’t want someone with my background. They only wanted Pulmonologists. When asked if they did pulmonary consults they said no. But I wasn’t qualified. They don’t have a good answer as to why.
Granted this was from this hospital recruiter who talked to the head of the department.
So even in those situations where pulmonary isn’t built in, there is discrimination.
Also interviewed at places that are still looking a year later but didn’t want to hire me. Multiple places. Got called by a different recruiter, from the same company about a job that I had already interviewed for and been passed over.
Maybe it’s my personality. But I am pretty personable.
It’s most likely the fact that I am not a Pulmonologist.
But thank God not everyone cares about that. Gonna be working part time helping a pulmonologist soon.

Screw them if they’re ignorant. Plenty of jobs out there. I’m not pulm and haven’t had a problem finding a job. I get emails and calls everyday. I’ve worked in the Midwest, NYC and south currently. Bigger cities and larger hospitals seem to have more CCM only opportunities.

There are hospitals with pulmonary groups doing pulmonary but not staffing ICU and larger hospitals with separate totally separate service lines.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have straight up applied for CCM only jobs run by Pulmonologists and been told that they don’t want someone with my background. They only wanted Pulmonologists. When asked if they did pulmonary consults they said no. But I wasn’t qualified. They don’t have a good answer as to why.
Granted this was from this hospital recruiter who talked to the head of the department.
So even in those situations where pulmonary isn’t built in, there is discrimination.
Also interviewed at places that are still looking a year later but didn’t want to hire me. Multiple places. Got called by a different recruiter, from the same company about a job that I had already interviewed for and been passed over.
But thank God not everyone cares about that. Gonna be working part time helping a pulmonologist soon.

Well. You got me there. Still seems like there is plenty of work to go around regardless.

Yea, I’m EM/CCM and trained at places you would know and respect. I got an immediate “thanks but no thanks” from a couple hospitals because I wasn’t IM or P/CCM.

Yea, I’m EM/CCM and trained at places you would know and respect. I got an immediate “thanks but no thanks” from a couple hospitals because I wasn’t IM or P/CCM.
TBH, I would feel more comfortable for a critically ill or crashing pt with an EM trained person compared to IM. Y’all get the job done.

• Okay...
TBH, I would feel more comfortable for a critically ill or crashing pt with an EM trained person compared to IM. Y’all get the job done.

Thanks. And I’m doing fine - have an awesome job. I was just shocked that I got a couple rejections within an hour of sending my CV. And this isn’t to sound arrogant, but I have a good CV.