Disciplinary Probation for Alcohol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pastafari

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently halfway through my junior year as an undergrad. At the end of the fall semester, I spent a night drinking (underage) and essentially that night ended in me being hospitalized. The residence hall authorities felt it was necessary although I did not have my stomach pumped or anything.
Prior to this incident, I already had three other incidences on my record, all of which involved an RA searching the dorm room and finding alcohol as a result of a noise complaint.

Before the hospitalization, I thought my track record was not much to worry about since I assumed medical school admissions are well aware of undergraduate drinking. My junior year I moved out of the dorms so I assumed I wouldn't have any other issues with residence life. I was obviously wrong, and my drinking the night I got hospitalized was out of hand.

As a sanction, the Office of Student Conduct gave me a semester of disciplinary probation. I already know that I need to disclose that information in my applications and I have no intention of trying to avoid the topic. It has had a huge impact on my life already. That night is the last night I ever had any alcohol and I intend to keep it that way.

That being said, my goal at this point is to move forward. I realize that my age is not on my side. If this sort of thing had happened when I was a freshman, I could chalk it up to being young and new to college and stupid. But as a junior, I should already know better.
I don't have much time to prove that I am changing my ways but I want to do everything I can with the time that I have.

With all of this in mind, assuming my academic statistics are above average, what are my chances? What can I do to improve my chances even with this blemish on my record?

Members don't see this ad.

You drank, you got sick, you were disciplined for underage drinking by your institution, you have stopped drinking entirely. Completely reasonable story, shouldn't be an issue when you apply.

Reactions: 1 users