Discharged from Military for Personality Disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heybrodon'tjudgeme

Reaction score
Alrighty guys this is something I've been debating with posting for a while now.

I was discharged 5 years ago from the military for personality disorder after 1 year of service and was given an honorable discharge. It's denoted in my DD-214. No, I'm not proud of it. Yes, I have received treatment and I literally have not met the criteria for said disorder for about two years now.

My question is this: because the reason for my discharge code is notated on my DD-214, are medical schools gonna look at this and immediately red flag me? I've been stressing about this for a while. I'm a 4.0 GPA student, great ECs.

Thanks so much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS only asks whether the discharge was honorable or not. You won’t have to submit the military discharge form or disclose your mental illness. If asked during an interview why you only served for one year, you can just say that you developed sudden health problems that have since resolved.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree that you won't be asked outright about it. The real question is whether or not you require accommodations for the condition? If so, then the schools could try to say that you don't meet their criteria. I can't remember the name of the document but when you enter school they make you sign something saying you are basically able to do anything and everything under the sun (lift XX lbs, use your eyes, use your hands, etc). This has long been held as essentially a "get out of jail free card" for circumventing the ADA.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Alrighty guys this is something I've been debating with posting for a while now.

I was discharged 5 years ago from the military for personality disorder after 1 year of service and was given an honorable discharge. It's denoted in my DD-214. No, I'm not proud of it. Yes, I have received treatment and I literally have not met the criteria for said disorder for about two years now.

My question is this: because the reason for my discharge code is notated on my DD-214, are medical schools gonna look at this and immediately red flag me? I've been stressing about this for a while. I'm a 4.0 GPA student, great ECs.

Thanks so much for your time.
Very sorry to hear of this and I still thank you for your service.

Is your disorder likely to be exacerbated or recur due to the stress of medical school and/or residency??

Very sorry to hear of this and I still thank you for your service.

Is your disorder likely to be exacerbated or recur due to the stress of medical school and/or residency??
Goro,

Thanks so much for your reply.

No, I was actually "undiagnosed" by my psychiatrist saying I didn't meet criteria. I haven't had an issue before or since; I merely sought counseling while I was in the military and they snagged me for it-- way more common than most people know. That's why mental health treatment is so stigmatized in the military, but I digress. I've been in some crazy stressful circumstances to date and I haven't had an adverse reaction mentally. I think that means I'm good to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Goro,

Thanks so much for your reply.

No, I was actually "undiagnosed" by my psychiatrist saying I didn't meet criteria. I haven't had an issue before or since; I merely sought counseling while I was in the military and they snagged me for it-- way more common than most people know. That's why mental health treatment is so stigmatized in the military, but I digress. I've been in some crazy stressful circumstances to date and I haven't had an adverse reaction mentally. I think that means I'm good to go.
Shoot your shot!

Reactions: 2 users