Disadvantaged Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted899789

Hi everyone! I have a question about how to "properly" use the disadvantaged statement portion on AMCAS.

For some background, I applied this cycle and I currently am on waitlists without any acceptances. My MCAT is 515+, GPA 3.9+, solid research experience (although no publications), tons of clinical experience, and quite a bit of volunteering experience as well. I also am, I guess "ORM", although that term is imperfect.

However, I think that what hurt me this cycle was my disadvantaged statement. I talked about growing up with an emotionally abusive parent, going to counseling, and ultimately how I overcame that experience. I was careful not to come across as bitter. However, I know that there still is intense stigma around mental health (even within medicine) and that this might make me seem like a "risky" applicant. So, what's the best way to approach writing a disadvantaged statement, and what would be considered a valid reason to do so? Do you think I would be better off if I just left that part blank on my next application? This experience is important to me and I grew a lot because of it, but if it hurts my chances, I guess it might be best not to talk about it. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I could totally be off base here, and I will surely defer to others if I am incorrect, but I'm not sure if what you experienced is necessarily disadvantaged status. I obviously don't know all the details nor am I trying to minimalize what happened to you throughout your life, but I think of disadvantaged status more as extreme poverty or similar social situations (such as a pediatric disease that kept one out of school for a very significant amount of time) that may have prevented access to solid schooling/education. Someone who is from appalachia is the epitome of what represents that status to me.

It's of course up for debate about the specific definition of what it means to be disadvantaged, but I wonder if some schools thought you were 'over calling' it.

Did you get numerous IIs and are on those waitlists or did you not even get many IIs (and just on a few WLs currently)? How many schools did you apply to and what tiers were they?

Maybe mentioning it in your PS but not claiming disadvantaged status is the way to go?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I could totally be off base here, and I will surely defer to others if I am incorrect, but I'm not sure if what you experienced is necessarily disadvantaged status. I obviously don't know all the details nor am I trying to minimalize what happened to you throughout your life, but I think of disadvantaged status more as extreme poverty or similar social situations (such as a pediatric disease that kept one out of school for a very significant amount of time) that may have prevented access to solid schooling/education. Someone who is from appalachia is the epitome of what represents that status to me.

It's of course up for debate about the specific definition of what it means to be disadvantaged, but I wonder if some schools thought you were 'over calling' it.

Did you get numerous IIs and are on those waitlists or did you not even get many IIs (and just on a few WLs currently)? How many schools did you apply to and what tiers were they?

Maybe mentioning it in your PS but not claiming disadvantaged status is the way to go?
I'll PM you the details, but what you say makes sense. The AAMC gives absolutely no guidance as to what counts as disadvantaged, so I guess I messed up

They really don't seem to provide too much guidance on what qualifies as disadvantaged (probably purposefully), so don't beat yourself up about it.
Thanks, it's hard not to though to be honest. I wish the AAMC, or at least schools themselves, would give more clarity about this

Hi everyone! I have a question about how to "properly" use the disadvantaged statement portion on AMCAS.

For some background, I applied this cycle and I currently am on waitlists without any acceptances. My MCAT is 515+, GPA 3.9+, solid research experience (although no publications), tons of clinical experience, and quite a bit of volunteering experience as well. I also am, I guess "ORM", although that term is imperfect.

However, I think that what hurt me this cycle was my disadvantaged statement. I talked about growing up with an emotionally abusive parent, going to counseling, and ultimately how I overcame that experience. I was careful not to come across as bitter. However, I know that there still is intense stigma around mental health (even within medicine) and that this might make me seem like a "risky" applicant. So, what's the best way to approach writing a disadvantaged statement, and what would be considered a valid reason to do so? Do you think I would be better off if I just left that part blank on my next application? This experience is important to me and I grew a lot because of it, but if it hurts my chances, I guess it might be best not to talk about it. What do you think?
Your stats prove that your mental health issues are not a factor. IF you don't get an accept, it's not because of your essay.

Disadvantaged is not about your mental health...it's about things that would have handicapped you going into college, like growing up poor, or attending a really rotten school system.

The issues with your parent and how it affected you were fodder for "greatest challenge" prompts.

Reactions: 3 users
Your stats prove that your mental health issues are not a factor. IF you don't get an accept, it's not because of your essay.

Disadvantaged is not about your mental health...it's about things that would have handicapped you going into college, like growing up poor, or attending a really rotten school system.

The issues with your parent and how it affected you were fodder for "greatest challenge" prompts.
Thank you, I wish someone would have told me this before this cycle. I guess I don't know where I went wrong with my application then.

Thank you, I wish someone would have told me this before this cycle. I guess I don't know where I went wrong with my application then.
Consider: School list, submission date, interview performance

Consider: School list, submission date, interview performance
I applied to a good variety of schools above and below my score ranges. Submitted late May. I did a ton of practice for the interviews... who knows, I guess

I'll PM you if that's ok
It would be much better for people with similar questions if you shared the information. That’s the purpose of a forum of people asking questions and people responding and providing help based on experiences. . By only contacting one person you get a limited view. And nobody else gets the benefit of the information. Maybe you should close this thread and go post in the Confidential Consult forum. I’m not sure how it works but it is 100% confidential. I’m thinking you are worried about confidentiality.

Reactions: 1 users
It would be much better for people with similar questions if you shared the information. That’s the purpose of a forum of people asking questions and people responding and providing help based on experiences. . By only contacting one person you get a limited view. And nobody else gets the benefit of the information. Maybe you should close this thread and go post in the Confidential Consult forum. I’m not sure how it works but it is 100% confidential. I’m thinking you are worried about confidentiality.
Sorry, I'm trying to find a sort of happy medium where I can talk about some of this stuff without getting too specific for confidentiality purposes. I'll message you details if you'd want to comment on them

Sorry, I'm trying to find a sort of happy medium where I can talk about some of this stuff without getting too specific for confidentiality purposes. I'll message you details if you'd want to comment on them
I don’t have a pressing need to see details. I really believe in the purpose of SDN and think everyone learns from others experiences. Good luck as you move along.

I don’t have a pressing need to see details. I really believe in the purpose of SDN and think everyone learns from others experiences. Good luck as you move along.
I appreciate it, thank you for the encouragement