Disability insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yellow mellow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lately I've been getting disability insurance forms from Disability Pro, has anyone here heard of them or used them ? I've decided after reading so many post on the importance of having both disability and term life insurance, I'm now looking into both. Any thoughts on which company is best for both ?

Members don't see this ad.

I think they're the AMA disability company, and from what I hear they're not great due to a poor or no own occupation definition. For term life insurance it will depend on what medical issues you've been diagnosed with, as certain companies are better than others at giving you a better rating if you have a certain condition.

Lately I've been getting disability insurance forms from Disability Pro, has anyone here heard of them or used them ? I've decided after reading so many post on the importance of having both disability and term life insurance, I'm now looking into both. Any thoughts on which company is best for both ?
It is AMA, they are trying to Re-Brand themselves it appears, that contract has, in my opinion, 3 fatal flaws. The first is the wording of 'Total and Continuous' in the waiting period. The second is the definition of disability, they say we will protect you in 'your specialty' which they do but they don't seem to make it very clear that if you work in anything post disability then then will reduce or eliminate your benefit. The third thing is they retain the right to change your benefit, language of the policy or cancel the policy anytime they want. When you buy disability insurance from one of the individual carrier they can't do any of that if you built it correctly. I just think that trusting an insurance company to do the right thing by you for the next 30 years is kind of asking a lot. You take that risk off the table when you own your policy. The other thing that does happen is if you own an association type plan (ama, acog, acs, aafp and the such) and you have a group plan at work then technically the group plan gets to coordinate/offset their benefit. This offset is due to the 'benefit offset' provisions which are present in employer based group plans stating that the benefits from your employer plan can be reduced by any other group or association based plans you have. To be blunt one might be buying something that you can't get benefit from when you hold that type of combination.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I bought Disability insurance through Assurity. They were the cheapest A rated company for my needs. I dealt with the an Agent I bought my Term Life Insurance from and the Agent hooked me up with Assurity. Gave me 3 quotes from different companies then I did my research on each one of them.
www.bestquoteinc.com
You might want to double check your policy. If your desire was to have a true own specialty policy that would not reduce benefits regardless of your income if you were unable to do your specialty but were off doing another occupation Assurity is not one of the Big 6 that has that definition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't engage in financial products / agents who approach or market to you. The good ones, you have to go find those.

Buy your individual DI from an independent agent rather than an individual insurer. You can consider the Disability Pro/AMA product in your search and have the agent explain the pros and cons of it and then make an educated decision.

Reactions: 1 user