Disability Benefits and the Reserves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noneofyourbusiness

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read a similar post that had some great information. Was hoping to get some more clarity into my particular situation.

Considering joining the Reserves because I miss service, but as a physician.

Former AD non-physician AMEDD officer with several years of service and multiple deployments. Given total disability award of 80% for various issues including joints, mental health, etc. Since going IRR, completed medical school and residency and started practicing. Health conditions have been stable, not better or worse, and even retained the same on a VA reexam recently. Same VA rating and benefits for 7.5 years now. Would presumably qualify for worldwide deployment though (PULHES 2 or higher) as I had deployed on AD with the same.

Would it in any way effect my VA disability benefits?

Do I have to go through an entire entry medical exam or similar because it’s a different branch or coming from IRR?

Would the conditions just be waiverable?

If I’m allowed to join the Reserves, I heard you can’t receive VA and military pay simultaneously but could elect to not be paid VA for the days you are on drill status. Is that correct and how is that done?

Is there a workaround, perhaps join Reserves as former MOS and then branch transfer to avoid pitfalls?

I figure I can work with a recruiter on ascension/retention bonus, incentive pay, constructive service credit for rank, loan repayment, board pay, etc.

Am I crazy in all of this??

Talk about a midlife crisis haha

Members don't see this ad.

If I’m allowed to join the Reserves, I heard you can’t receive VA and military pay simultaneously but could elect to not be paid VA for the days you are on drill status. Is that correct and how is that done?
This is correct. So if you drill 2 days in March, you will only be paid for 28 days of disability (VA only believes in 30 day months).

Not positive on your other questions but your conditions being waiverable would be a case-by-case thing, although I've heard PTSD and some other mental health conditions are not waiverable, but can't confirm that.
I had a friend with a 3 year break in service and he had to go back to MEPS with all the new recruits.