Director of a small urology in office lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MetroPath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was asked by a urologist to look at approx on average 4 prostate biopsies per week and a few other biopsies per week in addition to FISH AND urine cytology and manage the lab as a CLIA director. Basically a small in office lab with a time commitment of 16-20 hours per month. This would be my first gig as a lab director if I were to take the position. I have a few years experience of signing out prostate and bladder biopsies.

Do you know what would be a good pay rate per hour for this type of setup? Can I charge an extra fee to be the lab director or is it included in the hourly rate?

Also, I would be the only pathologist there. Do pathologists at these in office setups usually send out cases (biopsies) for confirmation to a second pathologist (make sure grading is correct) for first time malignant diagnoses or complicated cases? I think I’ve heard of some pathologists at busy in office labs who had to send their cases to Epstein for concordance/QA?

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All of the questions you raise are up to you really.

I assume since FISH is in the mix you would be working with an outside lab for the TC and all you are doing is the PC in the office. Whatever lab you / the urologist are using for slide prep may have paths willing to do 2nd reads on new cancers cases for a fee & you would have a regular courier set up…

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't sound like much money. Doubt its worth your time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the point of an in-office lab with a volume like that? I'd pass on that "opportunity".

Reactions: 2 users
Let me give you some business advice:
A. How badly do you need the money?
B. How much time and availability do you have for this role?
C. Assuming you are competent for the role (don't assume you are), use A and B above to determine how much it will take to be worth your effort to do this job.
D. Add 25% above whatever you came up with at C and that is your offer. You may negotiate down to C.

Reactions: 1 user