dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speyeder

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation. I have 2 letters from ophthalmologists, one good one from a big wig who I've been doing research for & another mediocre letter from a new attending during one of my ophtho rotations.

I had the 2nd letter sent to my school for possible use in my Dean's letter, & the dean at my school called it a "terrible letter". Nothing bad or malicious was written; it was just short & rather vague, well shy of a ringing endorsement.

I'm not sure why that attending wrote a lukewarm letter on my behalf. I hope it wasn't a reflection on my performance in the rotation. I felt I was well-prepared, well-read & I gave 110% effort. Perhaps she, being just 2 years out of residency, wasn't used to students asking her for letters? I think part of the reason had to do with the way the clinic was structured. Different attendings every day of the week & morning & afternoon shifts. So in a 1 month elective, I only worked with her for 4-6 half days. Who knows what the reason is.

My dilemma is, should I use that letter anyway or use a non-ophtho letter as my 3rd LOR? I feel that having 2 out of 3 letters come from ophthalmologists may be better, but in this case, I'm not sure how beneficial that would be when weighed against the risks of using a mediocre letter. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I totally know what you mean. I was in a similar situation last year, only difference was that an eval like that pretty much did my chances in at one of my top choices. If I were you I would toss this letter and go with 1 ophtho and 2 non- ophtho letters. I think you should be fine, especially since your ophtho letter is from a big wig. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice JR. Just out of curiosity, was your "mediocre letter" ever brought up in any of your interviews?

No problem. This wasn't actually a letter, but sh**ty eval from a Retina attending who had completely unreasonable expectations and only worked with me for like 1.5 hrs out 4 weeks I was there. No other program saw it, but it pretty much closed all the doors at that program.