Dilation & Currettage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Argentus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to complete an OB/Gyn residency without performing a D&C for religious or personal beliefs? If so is this looked down upon and possibly affect fellowship opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

When you say D&C do you mean abortion? I don't see how doing a D&C on a woman with post-menopausal bleeding to rule out endometrial cancer or doing one for a miscarriage in someone who is hemorrhaging (for example) could be against anyone's religious or personal beliefs.

You can be an OBGYN without doing abortions, but I don't think it would at all be possible if you didn't do D&C's at all.

minime said:
When you say D&C do you mean abortion? I don't see how doing a D&C on a woman with post-menopausal bleeding to rule out endometrial cancer or doing one for a miscarriage in someone who is hemorrhaging (for example) could be against anyone's religious or personal beliefs.

You can be an OBGYN without doing abortions, but I don't think it would at all be possible if you didn't do D&C's at all.

I am referring to non-elective abortions where the health of the mother may be at risk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, as a resident, I do not think you will have much of a choise, but as an attending, you do, but you still have to refer the patient to an ob/gyn who will be able to do the elective abortion.

I will not be surprized if one day I get a letter in the mail from "Fitzgerald, Fitzgerald & Morgan" telling me that I am being sued for making the patient feel bad about having an abortion, by refusing to do the abortion myself. :rolleyes:

Actually as a resident you do have a choice. By ACOG regulations a resident can decline the procedure for personal reasons. I participate in them but have several co-workers that do not. The rest of us gladly will jump into the case and make sure that it has resident coverage. Furthermore, you can also do your residency at a religious facility (i.e. Georgetown, Providence, Sacred Heart) and not only stay away from above cases but also prescribing birth control, Plan B, etc.

Hope this helps!

Global Disrobal said:
Actually as a resident you do have a choice. By ACOG regulations a resident can decline the procedure for personal reasons. I participate in them but have several co-workers that do not. The rest of us gladly will jump into the case and make sure that it has resident coverage. Furthermore, you can also do your residency at a religious facility (i.e. Georgetown, Providence, Sacred Heart) and not only stay away from above cases but also prescribing birth control, Plan B, etc.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your imput. :)

Argentus said:
non-elective abortions where the health of the mother may be at risk.

oh i see! because of your profound faith in god you want to refuse to do the abortion and just let the mother die? or refer her to someone else so you won't have to dirty your hands in her health care? i wouldn't worry about finding a residency program that will fit your deep religious beliefs. much of the country is quite backwards, and you'll find yourself quite at home in their residency programs.

DrBuzzLightYear said:
oh i see! because of your profound faith in god you want to refuse to do the abortion and just let the mother die? or refer her to someone else so you won't have to dirty your hands in her health care? i wouldn't worry about finding a residency program that will fit your deep religious beliefs. much of the country is quite backwards, and you'll find yourself quite at home in their residency programs.

I am puzzled by this post. I simply asked a question; no reference to my personal beliefs was made.

Argentus said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to complete an OB/Gyn residency without performing a D&C for religious or personal beliefs? If so is this looked down upon and possibly affect fellowship opportunities?

I believe this is possible. The chiefs would always ask the residents first if they did terminations (or not). Also, you could simply do residency at a Catholic institution - doubt you'll be doing any terminations there.

Argentus said:
I am referring to non-elective abortions where the health of the mother may be at risk.

Can I ask why you are against this type of termination? If the mother's health is at risk, and she then dies as a result of the pregnancy, the foetus will also die. Isn't is better to save the life you can save?

I'm not trying to start a religious debate, but rather am curious about your reasons for this stance, as I could understand your reservations for performing a termination for non-medical reasons but am a bit confused as to why you would oppose one in which the mother's health is at risk.

I wonder also, would you refer her on in this situation, and would you refuse her treatment if the situation was emergent and you were the only reg available? eg you are on emergency cover and you are faced with a woman who has had a partial miscarriage or has suffered major trauma?

I would have thought that this may be a situation you could come across in even a Catholic program - I know that here in Australia it is something you need to learn just in case you do end up in this sort of situation - you are not required to perform terminations if you are against abortion, but you do need to know how to do them so that a patient's life is not at risk because you don't know how.

I think (am hoping) that Argentus probably meant a non-elective abortion where the mother's life was NOT at risk. That would make more sense.

You may be correct. I assume people have a bit of common sense, but I tend to be wrong most of the time on that. I need reality smashed into my brain via a weighted speculum to the face.