Digestive Enzymes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mir

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I memorize all the digestive enzymes and their respective sites and functions for the MCAT? Or will I be wasting my time...

Members don't see this ad.

wasting your time, just know pepsinogen and pepsin. Also know the 4 main cells of the digestive stomach, ie g cell, cheif cell, parietal cell, and mucous cell and their main functions.

it is, and kaplans doesnt state it, but covers the same material as does Princeton.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesnt hurt to know it, but I think you should be able to explain which chemical digestion is taking place in each, for example mouth ( carbohydrate digestion with salivary amylase)

Stomach----protein digestion with pepsin ( functions at a ph of 2 or acidic Ph)

Small intestine ( alkaline ph, starch digestion with pancreatic amylase, protein digestion with carboxypeptidase, trypsin, chymotrypsin e.t.c) . Fat digestion with lipase and so on and so forth.

___ Also being able to know that digestion occurs in the duodeneum and absorption in the jejunum and ileum wall

Yes I think pancreatic digestive enzymes (trypsin, chymotrypsin, pancreatic amylase, lipase) are also important in addition to knowing salivary amylase, pepsin.

Should I memorize all the digestive enzymes and their respective sites and functions for the MCAT? Or will I be wasting my time...

huge waste of time. They arent going to be asking specific questions like that. If anything know the bigger picture, where certain macronutrients are broken down and stuff like that.