Difficulty of JHU Post-Bacc program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kovalev32

Reaction score
I am currently a 4th year student at Boston University majoring in Math & CS with a 3.3 GPA, I have taken almost none of the required med-school pre-reqs.

My question is in regards to the difficulty of the JHU Pre-Med program. From what I've read, the program is designed to weed out a lot of the students in it. Is the intensity over exaggerated and are the washouts mainly from students that haven't taken rigorous science classes before?

I have a job potenially set up after graduating and quite some student loan debt and I don't really want to take the risk of losing it if there's a big chance of being washed out of the JHU Post-Bacc program. However, after some analyzing of my character, I think I would be much happier being an MD rather than anything related to SWE. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Why does it have to be JHU? Do your SMP /post-bac somewhere else where grades are going to improve your app.

Reactions: 3 users
Start taking prereqs at BU during your senior year if your schedule allows it. See how those go before doing a post bac; it will help you make your decision.

If you are worried about loans and what not, it might be easier for you to try and do a DIY post bac on the side while working. Post bac and SMPs are rarely the most cost efficient way of doing things.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Start some premed courses next semester. Then continue with a career-changer post-bacc. Try to do it at non-name-brand universities.

my bf who comes from a science major background AND has taken all of his pre-rec AND the MCAT just finished a SMP program there (which i do understand is different from post-bacc) but it still kicked his ass.
It's manageable, he graduated with a 4.0, but he did NOTHING and i mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for the whole program except to study.
NEVER hung out with a friend, or went out or did anything.
sooooo it's definitely rigorous and if you're not gonna ace your courses, it'll do you A LOT more harm than benefit.
as everyone has said, look into programs at less prestigious schools.
cause med schools care MUCH more, if not only, about your performance than the name of the school.
with a 3.3, you'll want to get a 4.0 at a post-bacc to boost up that gpa for sure.
there also are a lot of schools that offer interviews for students that attended their post-bacc so that might be to your advantage if you're set on doing a postbac!

What do top 10 med schools think about me going to JHU post bac premed program (career changers)? I am thinking to go there, but I am not sure if top 10 med schools will care about the prestige of JHU.