difficulties of getting in to a good school in Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HussainGQ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just how difficult is it to get into a good school in Ireland?? Is it as competitive as getting a seat in an American medical school, or is it just like going to school in the Carribean??

Members don't see this ad.

That's a bit hard to answer because it's not exactly known how much weight they give to certain parts of an application. It also really depends on the competitiveness of the people applying to the Irish schools. In general, you should be competitive enough to get into the US. Trinity, possibly UCD doesn't require the MCAT, but if you've taken it, you have to submit your scores. This doesn't mean those schools are easy to get in, far from it - although probably easier than US schools. If you do a search in this forum, you will find posts from people who were rejected with decent statistics.

It's hard to say since I'm not sure how many people do apply. I've heard that it's becoming increasingly harder, as the applications are increasing. When I applied, they generally accepted one person for every 10 who applied. I think what they look for are well-rounded people who have led lives that are a bit unique (either by what you majored in in college, or ECs, etc.) and they like seeing research.

Is the style of teaching at the Irish med schools different than that of North America?? I have heard that European style of teaching in general is different from that in North America, is this true? If so, than how? what about the clinical training??how does that differ from North America??Oh and approx hoe much in US dollars would it cost per year to study medicine in Ireland?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. At present, Irish programs are 5-6 years, which allows courses to be a bit more drawn out (i.e. Anatomy and Neuroanatomy over 2 years vs. 1 yr. or even 3 months in the US). Essentially, less cramming. I personally think this is a very good thing, as it allows time to have a life as well, one including heavy involvement in extracurriculars or other things that interest you. Medicine here is also an undergraduate degree, so those with degrees who enter may find some classes very basic and tedious - this is usually taken into account and if you have a science degree, you usually are exempt from first year.

3 years of clinical training, beginning 4th year. You gradually become integrated into the hospital. At Trinity, first 2 years are at the college campus. In 3rd year, some are at the campus, but you also have a couple classes at the hospitals. In 4th year, you start clinical rotations and have lectures all in the hospitals. I think they're doing some refiguring to see how they can bring patient contact in even earlier (i.e. 1st and 2nd year). So to answer your question, we get more patient contact. It's a big plus.

Tuition at TCD this year was somewhere like 23,000 euro. Which translated to 24,700 something USD. It's not cheap, but cheaper than a US private med school. You are eligible for Perkins and Stafford loans when you study here.

I will be completing my degree in Biology next spring, so I would only have to go through the five year program??How does that work??I would just begin with the second year students?

Also,my GPA is only in the 3.0 range, would that be competitive enough to get in to a good school in Ireland?I just took my MCAT in August, so I am waiting for my results. For the Fall of 2005, do I need to apply now, or I still be safe if I applied in January?

In order to apply for the Irish schools for next year, you will have to do it this fall. You apply through Atlantic Bridge (www.atlanticbridge.com) and the application should be out now. Due in November. Not all the Irish schools require the MCAT (Trinity doesn't, UCD looks at it if you've taken it). You can also email atlantic bridge about specifics. GPA I'd say would be ok...it really depends on the other people who are applying...

If your school follows a 6-yr. program (I think they all still do), you will skip first year and enter directly into 2nd year. You'd be known as a "direct entrant."

of the 4 schools listed on the atlanticbrige website. which one would be the best school to attend, for somebody who intends on returning to the U.S??

There is no best one. They are all of the same standard . You'll find that UK, Irish schools don't really follow a ranking system of colleges and they're all at the same level. For the Irish, Trinity requires the most number of leaving cert points to get in. But RCSI doesn't accept many Irish. It really depends where you want to go... Dublin, Cork, Galway (Galway isn't listed on AB's site, but it's a possibility too).

RCSI has the most number of international students. Actually, most of the classes are international students. They also do things like give you a laptop and have a lot of ppt- based lectures, maybe use technology a bit more. But you pay for it...the tuition alone is about 10 grand more than the other schools, and everyone else learns the same exact thing anyway. They're nothing but a health sciences school, so if you need diversity instead of hanging around medics all the time, it might not be the place for you.

The other schools are actual universities with all different kinds of courses, sports clubs and societies. Choosing just really depends on what environment is suited for you.