Difficult decision on when to apply!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which plan would you recommend?

• Plan A

• Plan B

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oceans12

Reaction score
I'm a male URM (African-American) currently about to finish a DIY post-bacc in Texas this coming Spring. I'm going to be using Texas's Academic Fresh Start (AFS) to increase my GPA before applying for all Texas MD medical schools.

I've been doing this DIY program for exactly 2 years now and will finish after my Spring 2019 semester courses. Within these two years, I've taken mainly upper level biology courses (ex: cancer biology, human physiology, immunology, and so on) along with some lower level sciences courses in biology, chemistry, and physics to freshen up on material I received low grades on. For these past 2 years I've received nothing but A's. So I'm quite confident that I have nearly perfected my studying skills and time managing skills to receive all A's one last time this coming Spring semester.

Plan A. I did not do well my first time at a university due to very personal issues, thus, my GPA suffered (cGPA of 2.50). If I invoke academic fresh start (AFS) by this Spring of 2019, even with the 2 years of post-bacc with a 4.0 GPA, I'll have cGPA of 3.43 and a sGPA of 3.48. MCAT score is 519. This would be with a solid extracurriculars including multiple research (2 at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston).

Plan B. If I wait till Fall of 2020 to invoke AFS instead and with the 2 years of post-bacc 4.0 GPA, I'll have a cGPA of 3.58 and a sGPA of 3.61 (more bad grades from my pasts will not be included in my GPA calculation, hence, the higher GPA) and same MCAT score of 519. Again this will be with a solid extracurriculars that I've been told is more than adequate.

Question: Should I go with Plan A and try my chances at applying in 2019 with the GPA stats given? I showed a tremendous upward trend and hope having a URM status would be slightly beneficial. Or should I not take that risk and wait another year and apply in 2020 instead with the much higher GPA? My gut is saying just wait, as much as I don't want to wait another year (currently 32 years old).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That's a tough call, but I think your application is pretty strong even with plan A. Of course, plan B would be better from a sheer metrics standpoint, but your AFS GPA even with plan A won't get you autoscreened anywhere and based on the strength of the rest of your application, you shouldn't have a problem getting invites.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a tough call, but I think your application is pretty strong even with plan A. Of course, plan B would be better from a sheer metrics standpoint, but your AFS GPA even with plan A won't get you autoscreened anywhere and based on the strength of the rest of your application, you shouldn't have a problem getting invites.
Thanks for the reply! Yes it's tough, I'm really leaning towards plan A. I think its worth noting that I worked and took full time course loads each semester throughout these past 2 years. My only concern comes from the fact that I'm limited to applying to Texas medical schools. I don't really mind much which one accepts me.

Based on URM status, you have above average sGPA and amazing MCAT, even with plan A. I don't think you need an extra year if you already have solid ECs.
African American matriculants average 3.51 cGPA, 3.38 sGPA, and 505 MCAT per table A-18 (https://www.aamc.org/download/321498/data/factstablea18.pdf)
Thanks! I'm a little confused by the info on that link. Do the numbers represent only matriculants or both applicants and matriculants? It also appears that the mean cGPA and sGPA shown for African Americans are 3.31 and 3.13, respectively. Either way its still good news for me. I'm really leaning towards plan A.

Thanks for the reply! Yes it's tough, I'm really leaning towards plan A. I think its worth noting that I worked and took full time course loads each semester throughout these past 2 years. My only concern comes from the fact that I'm limited to applying to Texas medical schools. I don't really mind much which one accepts me.

Well, we have so many schools and they truly are AFS friendly. I used AFS myself and landed 7 interviews and 2 prematches, and know of many other AFS students who got acceptances (including one guy who basically got a full ride).

Reactions: 1 user
Well, we have so many schools and they truly are AFS friendly. I used AFS myself and landed 7 interviews and 2 prematches, and know of many other AFS students who got acceptances (including one guy who basically got a full ride).
The fact that they are AFS friendly puts me more at ease, thanks. Congrats on getting accepted by the way. I'm sure it must have been a long process for you as well.

There are two tables in that link. First one is applicant, second one is matriculants.
Thanks! I'm a little confused by the info on that link. Do the numbers represent only matriculants or both applicants and matriculants? It also appears that the mean cGPA and sGPA shown for African Americans are 3.31 and 3.13, respectively. Either way its still good news for me. I'm really leaning towards plan A.

Wow, you deserve it! It feels good to be almost done. I'm looking forward to being in your shoes eventually.

Honestly, time flies. My biggest piece of advice is to enjoy the journey. It took me a while to realize the process is a journey and not a destination. The friends you make along the way and the experiences you take away from the process are part of the reward.

Reactions: 1 user