difficult airway course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

migm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone here done it? was it worth it?

thinking about signing up

Members don't see this ad.

I did the EMS version. It was at U Cincinnati and I loved interacting with the EM faculty. The course itself isn't really earth shattering, but I think it would be good for someone who is either transferring from another specialty (we had two family physicians who were starting EM residencies that summer), or an intern. It was was a nice couple days, but I wouldn't pay for it outside the two aforementioned situations.

Did an airway course at UF Jacksonville that was pretty good. I think experience with airways in residency taught way more than a 1 or 2 day course ever did/would though. I'd start with making sure you know the anatomy, youtube videos, hippoEM/EMRAP, etc. Then the airway course will either feel redundant/unnecessary or you'll have an excellent foundation for the course to fill in any gaps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spend that money on buying a King Vision VL instead.

Reactions: 1 users
I took Levitan’s coursr during residency. It was good and I’m glad I did it. It wasn’t earth shattering, as above, but it helped put into words some of the things I kind of subconsciously knew already, which was nice. It also gave me confidence as I realized I knew essentially everything they were talking about.

Just get to know how to use a bougie and should solve most of your airway issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't really sound like what I need. Was hoping for more practice with FOI difficult airway maneuvers/tips outside of bougie, ped airway stuff.

I attended last year and thought it was high yield. I'm not sure if it's worth the cost of the course itself but it's one of the best out there and people come from all over the world to attend. I met british, middle eastern and indian docs who had flown in to attend. It's a step up from your average "advanced airway" course which culminates in a cric practice lab with pig trachea. This one is much more and I thought the lectures were very useful. The guys who give the lectures are all experts in the field and routinely implement the procedures and skills they are lecturing about. The pediatric part was useful. The labs were nice and you get to play with a variety of scenarios which I found helpful. For instance, I practiced fiberoptic intubations using an aintree catheter through a normal LMA and a variety of other techniques.

Advanced and difficult airway is an interest of mine and I thought it would be low yield and for most of the first day I thought it was until about the last lecture of the day and then it was very good throughout the rest of the course. The labs and mock patient codes were excellent.

Again, I'm not sure in hindsight that it was worth all the money but it definitely wouldn't be a waste of your time if you went. You're bound to pick up some tips. I even picked up one or two from the docs who were attending when we would sit around talking about cases. It's definitely not the type of course that is filled with docs who have never intubated for 5 years and are looking for a refresher. I'm sure there are a few of those but a lot of the guys there are proficient and looking to learn additional techniques and perspectives.

It'll cover various special concerns (epiglottitis, Asthmatic vent management, etc.), VL (both standard & hyper-angulated), surgical airways, and various management techniques for obese and contaminated airways. There's only so much you can pack into 2 days.

It'll cover various special concerns (epiglottitis, Asthmatic vent management, etc.), VL (both standard & hyper-angulated), surgical airways, and various management techniques for obese and contaminated airways. There's only so much you can pack into 2 days.

understandable - the days are already pretty maximally booked (looks like 6:30 to 5?). is there any other option besides this course worth considering?

I'd be the last guy to ask. I'd hope a residency would cover this early on, but I'm not there yet so I don't know.

anyone here done it? was it worth it?

thinking about signing up

I'd recommend it. I take it every handful of years just to force feed myself the latest material given that the number of tubes in community practice is much lower than it was in residency.

I'm an attending at an academic shop and I'm getting more anxious with airways as each year goes by where i only do 1-2 airways myself. Considering doing one of the difficult airway courses but trying to decide which one. I'm a big Richard Levitan fan from EMRAP but it seems like the Ron Walls difficult airway course is more established. Anyone have recent experience with one of these courses?

Texas Cadaveric Courses | Airway Cam (Levitan's course)

Reactions: 1 user
Academic shop also. I did the Ron Walls Difficult Airway Course a few years ago and it was one of the best courses I’d ever been to. Lots of hands on, great opportunities to practice, and lectures and instructors were awesome. Couldn’t recommend it more highly. Usually in pretty nice locations as well.