Difference in old and new Master the Boards Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaleerkalut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was wondering if there is a difference between the old MTB step 2 (the one with the blue cover) vs. the new MTB step 2 (the one with the pink cover). I purchased the Step 2 High Yield course from Kaplan so was wondering if I should get the old edition (which I believe the videos correlate with as of now). Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Was wondering if there is a difference between the old MTB step 2 (the one with the blue cover) vs. the new MTB step 2 (the one with the pink cover). I purchased the Step 2 High Yield course from Kaplan so was wondering if I should get the old edition (which I believe the videos correlate with as of now). Thanks in advance

Bump...no one?

I had a similar question. I heard that the 1st edition was good but incomplete so I just assumed the 2nd edition is now just as good but complete... I loved using FA for Step 1 and it helped me score well (>230) with very minimal supplement (basically just Goljan audio + UW). But now I am torn for step 2 ck because I am not sure if FA (which i hear is also incomplete), MTB, or something else is the way to go.

I will be using Secrets (the only book that nobody ever complains about) and right now I am more on the side of the new edition of MTB step 2 but that might change to FA.:confused::confused:

I had a similar question. I heard that the 1st edition was good but incomplete so I just assumed the 2nd edition is now just as good but complete... I loved using FA for Step 1 and it helped me score well (>230) with very minimal supplement (basically just Goljan audio + UW). But now I am torn for step 2 ck because I am not sure if FA (which i hear is also incomplete), MTB, or something else is the way to go.

I will be using Secrets (the only book that nobody ever complains about) and right now I am more on the side of the new edition of MTB step 2 but that might change to FA.:confused::confused:

You're dead right insofar as MTB is incomplete. The Obs section is scant, the Gyne section is virtually nonexistent and there is no Biostats section. FA does have some benefits including its extensive Derm section and I found it much better for Peds, Obs Gyn and Surgery.FA is, however, a much more dull experience. MTB is an easy read and the material is very memorable. I really liked the book, despite its obvious flaws.

I'm unsure about the changed in the new edition of MTB but I'd hope at least some of them involved correcting some of the errors.

I think using MTB in combination with Secrets and UW is a great combination.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're dead right insofar as MTB is incomplete. The Obs section is scant, the Gyne section is virtually nonexistent and there is no Biostats section. FA does have some benefits including its extensive Derm section and I found it much better for Peds, Obs Gyn and Surgery.FA is, however, a much more dull experience. MTB is an easy read and the material is very memorable. I really liked the book, despite its obvious flaws.

I'm unsure about the changed in the new edition of MTB but I'd hope at least some of them involved correcting some of the errors.

I think using MTB in combination with Secrets and UW is a great combination.

Hello all,
please DON'T waste your money on the new edition. I got the new edition (even though i had the first one) a day before thanks for amazon prime fast delivery. Let me tell u, it's same not even page by page but also word by word. Maybe 1% different. They actually took a table out in the new edition.

Key differences: it has Dr fischer's pic on the main cover. Also different color. In the table of contents page, it tells u what page INDEX is on. which is same in both books.

bottom line: 99.9% it's same.

pls look at one of the copies at ur local barnes and noble store before u buy it.

TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY.

I glanced quickly at B&N yesterday and really didn't see anything different. Being the stereotypical information junkie... I desperately wanted to see something better, new, cool, or different that would alleviate the anxiety that comes with feeling something important might be missed. :)

Is there an Errata for the first edition?

P.S. I also used the Onlinemeded videos for weak sections, including Surgery and Obs Gyn and found them brilliant. They're free, short and to the point. For those of you who haven't taken the exam yet, they're definitely worth a watch.

Hello all,
please DON'T waste your money on the new edition. I got the new edition (even though i had the first one) a day before thanks for amazon prime fast delivery. Let me tell u, it's same not even page by page but also word by word. Maybe 1% different. They actually took a table out in the new edition.

Key differences: it has Dr fischer's pic on the main cover. Also different color. In the table of contents page, it tells u what page INDEX is on. which is same in both books.

bottom line: 99.9% it's same.

pls look at one of the copies at ur local barnes and noble store before u buy it.

TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY.

Thank you so much for your post. The reason why is because I bought the Step 2 High Yield Course by Kaplan, but I believe the page #'s aren't the same for the new and old edition. Is this true? TIA

Thank you so much for your post. The reason why is because I bought the Step 2 High Yield Course by Kaplan, but I believe the page #'s aren't the same for the new and old edition. Is this true? TIA

I was thinking about starting my prep with Kaplan HY program. It is worth the money? Thanks!

I was thinking about starting my prep with Kaplan HY program. It is worth the money? Thanks!

You can watch.3.5 hours for free and decide for yourself. I watched some and decided that my time would probably be better spent on just old fashioned book-studying... But thats just me. I have a friend that did dit and really liked it but thats also not my style nor is step up.

sorry for the late reply. Page numbers are same. As a matter of fact, it's same word by word literally. If u get a chance go to the nearest barnes and noble store. hope it answers ur question.

good luck

when people say MTB3 do they mean Master the Boards for step3??

How is the step3 book better than the one for step2CK?

No problem. I found the Kaplan videos frustratingly long and thought these were a good (free!) alternative. Tell your friends about them as I believe they deserve to be promoted.