Difference bw 2.97 and 3.02 GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

georgiadat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would Dental schools only see a difference of .05, or the difference between over 3.0 and under 3.0? Would it really make a big difference?

Members don't see this ad.

oh yeah the 3.02 guy is getting in and the 2.97 guy is screwed...

Thanks for the sarcasm. I have been told that some schools do not even consider students under 3.0.

Members don't see this ad :)
georgiadat said:
Thanks for the sarcasm. I have been told that some schools do not even consider students under 3.0.

u answered your own question.

take an extra basketweaving class if it worries you...

georgiadat said:
Would Dental schools only see a difference of .05, or the difference between over 3.0 and under 3.0? Would it really make a big difference?
It all depends on which schools you are applying to, and when you apply.

This is not like the 100 metres running qualifying games - where you have to run fast to be in the top four to qualify for the next round, and the first guy finished in 9.85 secs (maybe that's too fast for a pred-dent :D) and you finished in 9.92 secs, which somehow placed you in the 5th position... that's a difference of 0.07 secs between 1st and 5th... technically you (#5) might have been as good as the guy who finished 1st on any other day.

My point is 2.97 and 3.02 will be looked similar, but if it was down to 2 people competing for a seat in dental school.... it's pretty obvious who would get in, given other factors were the same.

granted i've never been on an adcoms commitee..but i still think that there is a world of difference between a 2.9 and a 3.10++. I mean, if someone didn't focus hard enough to maintain at least a B average in their undergrad years it might say a lot about their ability to survive the rigors of dental school. of course this is all relative..and i'm sure there are those with sub 3's that are more dedicated than some applicants with low 3's gpas.

georgiadat said:

of course it would be a difference, but keep in mind that the 2.97 with excellent DAT scores (and a rising trend in grades) may sometimes look more attractive to adcoms than a 3.02 with mediocre DAT scores

I got in with a 2.7, but with the increase in stats even a 3.3 has no chance in he11. Just give up bud, better luck in the next life.

My option if you care, is there is no difference. It is all in your head. You best chance is with you DAT. Take the whole summer to prepare. You can never be sorry for studying to much.

This year at Temple, the applicant pool is so strong that if you dont have a 3.0+ with at least an 18AA, then you wont be invited for an interview...