Diff btwn Momentum and Inertia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heyeon

Heyeon
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Momentum can be thought of as the ability of a moving body to continue moving along its present path.
Inertia is thought of as the ability of a body to maintain its state of motion.
So how is Momentum different from Inertia?

Members don't see this ad.

Momentum can be thought of as the ability of a moving body to continue moving along its present path.

hi,
I am getting my answers from exam krackers audio osmosis, just so you know;

momentum is dependent upon a reference frame whereas inertia is independent of a reference frame.
quantitatively speaking, momentum is a vector quantity:
momentum = (Mass) x (Velocity)
*note that the units work out to be (kg*m)/(s)

yeaaa...dont think that answers anything specifically for you though...ill continue my studies and maybe ill get back at you with a better explanation!

In today's lingo, we use momentum to describe something that will keep moving. But it is not the same in physics.

Momentum, in physics, is simply a body's mass multiplied by it's velocity. That's it.

Right. Inertia tends to keep moving bodies in motion.

If an object has momentum, inertia will keep it moving.
If an object has no momentum, inertia will keep it still.

Example: If a car is sliding on ice (no friction), it has a certain momentum. Inertia will keep the car sliding until it hits something.

If the car has no momentum, inertia will keep it still.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another thing.

Momentum is transferrable from one object to another, inertia isn't (well, not without getting all frankenstein on the masses).

Thanks for the explanations :) I have also started seeing it as Momentum is applied to a moving body while Inertia can also be applied to still bodies

Thanks for the explanations :) I have also started seeing it as Momentum is applied to a moving body while Inertia can also be applied to still bodies
Just to clarify, inertia is ALWAYS there, regardless of motion. Mass is sort of a measure of inertia. The difference between inertia and mass is that how the mass is distributed can effect angular inertia (e.g. rolling bowling ball). I.e. If you've got a 3kg ball with its mass evenly distributed, its angular inertia will be less than a mass with its 3kg (same diameter) focused at the outside of the ball.

gravitational_mass.jpg