Didn't match, scramble sucked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LOVE OB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 4th year DO student. Took both COMLEX and USMLE with mid 200's on both.
Good GPA
Ranked 5 OB/GYN programs and didn't match. Absolutely devestated!

Received a reply to my LOI from my number one choice saying I was a great candidate and they hoped to see me in July!

Scrambled into a preliminary surgery spot in my hometown because it was the first offer I got in the scramble. Although I love surgery, I think I will hate where I am. and am pretty much thinking I'll be miserable, but plan to work my butt off and get all the OR skills I can

Anyone have any idea of the chances of matching OB/GYN next year?

What can I do to improve my chances?

I am absolutely terrified of going through all this again.

I'd appreciate any advice

Members don't see this ad.

Received a reply to my LOI from my number one choice saying I was a great candidate and they hoped to see me in July!

Please other people take note of this. Program directors will lie through their teeth (just like many candidates do). Don't believe any such statements

as to the OP. The only thing you can do is work on impressing your surgery attendings and next year rank more than 5 programs (most people who I spoke to in this years match ranked more than 10)

good luck :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. Guess you can't trust anyone. I'll be smarter with my rankingnext time around

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Good GPA

Scrambled into a preliminary surgery spot in my hometown because it was the first offer I got in the scramble. Although I love surgery, I think I will hate where I am. and am pretty much thinking I'll be miserable, but plan to work my butt off and get all the OR skills I can

so how did the scramble suck? It seems like it went well for you....since there was no thing as a real obgyn scramble(due to the efficiency of the match), you did as well as you could have expected in the scramble.

Also, why only rank/interview at 5 programs? Thats an exceptionally low number

I was advised not to rank any programs that I didn't want to match in.
I know I was lucky to match in a preliminary spot, but am really nervous about not having anything guarenteed after that.

Really want to make myself a better candidate for next year.

I know I was lucky to match in a preliminary spot, but am really nervous about not having anything guarenteed after that.

I don't know how much I agree with the advice of not ranking all the programs you interviewed at.

In the last few years OB has gotten more and more competitive as evidenced by the lack of spots during the scramble. Honestly, unless the program is truly malignant in which residents are not even completing the program, I'd say just rank them all.

I interviewed at a ton of places and I can honestly say that at all of them I would have gotten good training at being a competent generalist. I only heard of one horrific program in which the residents were getting beaten down with work without any adequate supervision (some program in NY I think).

It's a tough road, but for next year, apply as broadly and as early as possible. I can't stress the early part enough.

When I was on the interview trail, program coordinators were telling me over and over how many more applications they had this year. One program in Florida (academic place) had 500 applications for 5 spots and offered interviews to 70 people but could not accommodate them all. It was first come first serve for the actual 50 or so real interview spots.

I agree, I think your only problem was not to rank enough programs (at least 10, I ranked 11 and matched high on my list).

Our deans stressed that we rank every program we interviewed at unless we would rather go unmatched than to go there for at least intern year. I think they gave you poor advice. At least you got a prelim surgery year rather than scrambling into FP or prelim IM. I'm sure you will be looked upon favorably for having been in the OR for a year and having good skills to bring with you.

Just tell them when they ask that you didn't rank enough programs. Seems like a really reasonable cause for scrambling this year, as OB was ridiculously competitive.

You absolutely did the right thing. You should ONLY rank programs you are okay with matching into. It's better to have this year to reapply then be stuck in a program that you would hate for 4 years. Good luck in the future!

You absolutely did the right thing. You should ONLY rank programs you are okay with matching into. It's better to have this year to reapply then be stuck in a program that you would hate for 4 years. Good luck in the future!

WOW, Lot's of conflicting advice, though. Hope next year I can be giving positive advice to someone in my situation.

Well, I wouldn't say it is so much conflicting advice as opposed to people expressing their personal opinions. In the end, it is really about what you want. Would you rather scramble knowing you may not get into ob/gyn (or have to reapply) or just get through with it even if it is at a program that is not your top choice (perhaps not even your top 5 but you feel is still tolerable)? Or are there some programs that are absolutely so malignant that you would rather take your chances bearing in mind what the previous match and scramble stats are for the given specialty or even go into another specialty altogether?

I had no idea how competitive I was, so I applied to a ton of places. I felt stupid doing it, but it gave more choices (and programs to rank). I also went to as many interviews as I felt I could tolerate. At the end, I thought about how badly I wanted to be in this specialty and how much I am willing to tolerate from a program, which varies widely among all of us. I wanted to be in this specialty very badly and there were very very few programs that I did not rank. They were so bad they had accreditation issues, financial issues (one went bankrupt recently and all the residents had to find new programs), or were extremely malignant that the residents themselves admitted to crying about every day intern year. Otherwise, as long as they had adequate surgical numbers, the working atmosphere seemed tolerable, residents got decent placement and did okay, and there were no major administrative or financial issues, I ranked it.

Last edited:
WOW, Lot's of conflicting advice, though. Hope next year I can be giving positive advice to someone in my situation.

I'm not sure I see where my advice is conflicting.

You're in the situation now where you've landed in a spot that you decided was good enough for you to endure for a year. At the same time you got to make a decision for yourself as to whether you wanted to accept that spot or sit it out a year and reapply. That ability to make a decision, although you may not see it at this exact moment, is a powerful one. You got to choose the next step in your life instead of the NRMP choosing for you.

If you had matched one of the other spots that you didn't like you might be on this same forum like the multiple others who have said "I really wish I hadn't ranked this program and just entered the scramble," and would now be stuck going to a place you hate and would have to explain to them after a year why you want to leave.

I personally find that your scenario is the best scenario to be in so far as not getting the top choices.

In the end you'll be improving on your medicine skill set and when you come in as an intern for a ob/gyn program next year you'll be leaps and bounds sharper than your cohorts who are green as can be.

No, your advice was the same as I originally received from people in my program. But there were a few people in the thread who said I should have ranked all the places where I interviewed.

I originally agreed with only ranking programs where I thought I would be happy, but of course I thought I wpuld match at my number one choice, since they pretty much led me to believe as much.

Just worried that the same thing could happen next year.

Sure hope the OR experience helps me.

thanks for your insight

No, your advice was the same as I originally received from people in my program. But there were a few people in the thread who said I should have ranked all the places where I interviewed.

I originally agreed with only ranking programs where I thought I would be happy, but of course I thought I wpuld match at my number one choice, since they pretty much led me to believe as much.

Just worried that the same thing could happen next year.

Sure hope the OR experience helps me.

thanks for your insight

Well, I wouldn't say it is so much conflicting advice as opposed to people expressing their personal opinions. In the end, it is really about what you want. Would you rather scramble knowing you may not get into ob/gyn (or have to reapply) or just get through with it even if it is at a program that is not your top choice (perhaps not even your top 5 but you feel is still tolerable)? Or are there some programs that are absolutely so malignant that you would rather take your chances bearing in mind what the previous match and scramble stats are for the given specialty or even go into another specialty altogether?

I had no idea how competitive I was, so I applied to a ton of places. I felt stupid doing it, but it gave more choices (and programs to rank). I also went to as many interviews as I felt I could tolerate. At the end, I thought about how badly I wanted to be in this specialty and how much I am willing to tolerate from a program, which varies widely among all of us. I wanted to be in this specialty very badly and there were very very few programs that I did not rank. They were so bad they had accreditation issues, financial issues (one went bankrupt recently and all the residents had to find new programs), or were extremely malignant that the residents themselves admitted to crying about every day intern year. Otherwise, as long as they had adequate surgical numbers, the working atmosphere seemed tolerable, residents got decent placement and did okay, and there were no major administrative or financial issues, I ranked it.

Thanks for all your advice! Just really concerned about what to do next year. I really hope if I bust my butt in surgery next year it will help me land a good spot.
I really do appreciate allthe avice I'm getting:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend checking out the clearinghouse several times this year for open PGY1 spots. They usually start in october/november when interns realize that the field was not what they thought it was. You might be able to transfer into those spots. If I were you, I may have just waited this year than scramble into a surgery prelim year. You could maybe do obgyn research at an academic institution and perhaps earn a spot on their house staff for the following year.

But you did good by not ranking places you did not want to go to. However, I would cast a wider net next year, since 5 programs really isnt that many. You can also ask yourself the question:

Would you rather have matched at one of those undesirable programs or scrambled?

Good luck!

I would recommend checking out the clearinghouse several times this year for open PGY1 spots. They usually start in october/november when interns realize that the field was not what they thought it was. You might be able to transfer into those spots. If I were you, I may have just waited this year than scramble into a surgery prelim year. You could maybe do obgyn research at an academic institution and perhaps earn a spot on their house staff for the following year.

But you did good by not ranking places you did not want to go to. However, I would cast a wider net next year, since 5 programs really isnt that many. You can also ask yourself the question:

Would you rather have matched at one of those undesirable programs or scrambled?

Good luck!

The scramble is so stressful, just 24 hours after being devistated by not matching, and you have to make a decision so quickly, scared to death that you won't get another offer. The managed scramble will be so much nicer (if scrambling can be nice)
If I don't do the prelim spot I contracted with, is that a match violation? Will that be detrimental for my chances next year?
Thanks for the advice:)

If I find a cartagorical OB spot through CREOG or Resident swap.com and I break the contract with this prelim surgery spot from hell, what are the repercussions? Would ANYONE, including the prelim program really blame me, from looking for the sure thing:confused:

Your best bet is to contact the NRMP and anonymously ask them for the specific rules and regulations. They are generally nice and helpful on the phone.

With respect to breaking the contract, I'm not quite sure if it will work against you in the future, unless you cross paths with them in your career. However, from a professionalism standpoint, I would not break an agreement, but if I had to: I would break an agreement now rather than mid-year when the program will be left short-handed. At least they can find someone else right now, before the academic year begins.

I do echo the suggestion that you might want to consider reproductive medicine related research at an academic institution in hopes of strengthening your application and possibly securing a position at the same program.

Best of luck!

I do agree with Global Disrobal ( Global BTW please PM me).

I would do some research to strengthen your application. Unfortunately I do agree with the other posts if you interviewed rank them else suffer being unmatched.

While being in a permanent spot is more advantageous than a prelim spot you WILL match next year into a program. There are a multitude of people that change their mind and decide not to do OB for various reasons.

My advice do not break your prelim contract. Work your butt of find some research to do ( if you confide in PM the vicinity you're in I'll be able to suggest some people to contact) and you'lL do great.

Life always throws little quirks making us appreciate its uncertainty

You're bright and ambitious and I'll know you'll get your goal your striving for

Good luck
Diane

Only ranking 5 programs was not smart, I don't care how strong you are. I don't agree with Diane that you will match next year. There were only 5 spots in the country that went unfilled and plenty of stronger students who did not match. You cannot take this specialty for granted anymore. You will have to work hard to get into a decent program. It sounds to me that you did not have many invitations to the programs that you would have liked, so you need to make your cv stronger to make you a better candidate. I would not break a contract. That will not look good to anyone. The Surgery program you are in now was nice enough to take you, so you should be responsible and finish out the year.

I just want to add that I don't believe any one of us suggesting to rank all (or most) of the places you interviewed at was saying you should rank a program that is blatantly distasteful to you (i.e. super malignant, racist, etc.).

Just that you can't only rank the programs that are 100% without doubt perfect for you and be surprised to find yourself scrambling. That's why you can rank so many and should rank as many as reasonably possible. Any place that will get you through to becoming an OBGYN without being much the worse for wear should be fair game for a ROL. Obviously, the ones you loved most should be higher than those that were merely tolerable.

Hope things work out for the best next time around :luck:

Thanks for all the advise. I hope I'll be int he position to givepeopleadvise next year!;)

I have been looking on CREOG clearinghouse and Resident Swap. Why would a program offer a prelimary OB slot, with no guarantee of a position next year. Do they anticipate that people will drop out of the program and want to have a backup to fill those potential spots?

There are a myriad of reasons to offer a preliminary spot including program's need at the PGY-1 level (often Obstetrics volume driven) and lack of need at PGY-2-4 (often Gynecology/REI/Oncology volume driven). The other reason is a mutual benefit effect: they obtain a helping hand with their services for a year, while helping out a resident 1) decide if OB/GYN is the route they want to pursue and/or 2) strengthen their application and/or 3) allow an applicant to start an OB/GYN training and transfer into a PGY-2 spot rather waiting a year to reapply.

Good luck!

I'll agree residencycoord has a point. In my experience (over last 10 yrs on student doctor) those who had prelim spots and decided to pursue OB did get into PGY2 spots. I do know of many who chose OB and decided after PGY1 to switch out of the position. This leaves many open PGY1 and PGY2 spots on CREOG clearinghouse.( right now there are 12 unfilled PGY2 spots).
http://www.acog.org/departments/dept_notice.cfm?recno=1&bulletin=122

While I do agree that there is fierce competition. If one strengthens their cv i.e. by doing research and is determined I believe that one of the 244 programs OB.GYN programs in the USA listed on FRIEDA would accept this applicant.

https://freida.ama-assn.org
https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/user/programSearchSubmitDispatch.do

Good GPA

just wondering, can you please explain what mid 200's mean, like around 250 of 205?

Actually,228 usmle I 238 on Usmle II and 540 on ComlexII

Last edited:
Good luck please keep us posted on your progress in this thread it is always nice to see advice and then applicants outcomes.

feel free to PM me at any time
Diane

I'm sorry to hear of your current situation, but I wanted to ask did you only apply to both osteopathic and allopathic ob/gyn residency programs? If not, why? You appear to be a pretty competitive applicant so I was curious.

No, just allopathic, I think I limited myself too much geographically, and I really wasn't inrterested in the DO program here in my state. There was no DO program in the other part of the country that I was interested in. But I have obviously learned the hard way, and won't make the same mistake again.:)

Any updates on how this all worked out in the end?

Good GPA

No one can answer you honestly because we do not have access to your application, but I can tell you that applying to only 5 programs was a big mistake. You need to sit down with a mentor and get some good advice.

No one can answer you honestly because we do not have access to your application, but I can tell you that applying to only 5 programs was a big mistake. You need to sit down with a mentor and get some good advice.
This happened 8 years ago