Didn't apply because...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't apply to any osteopathic schools because I didn't feel like I was qualified enough. I didn't feel like i knew enough about osteopathic medicine to sound intelligent on my application. Now I'm kicking my self for not at least trying. I will probably be applying again in June to medical school and I would like to add some osteopathic schools to my list to apply to, but I need to learn more about osteopathic medicine. I also noticed that most of the osteopathic schools want a letter of recomendation from an osteopathic physician. If I get cracking now I will be asking someone I've only known a few months to write me a letter. Is this O.K.? Anyone else deal with this sort of delema?

Members don't see this ad.

Megalofyia,

I am only familiar with Touro and Western, but neither require a DO LOR, though one is prefered.. Per TUCOM's website "A M.D. letter from a personal physician who has known you for years may actually be preferable to a letter from a D.O. who has known you for 15 minutes." I do not have a DO LOR, but I have been ever so lucky as to be selected to interview at both schools.

I wish I knew what adcoms were looking for when selecting interviewees, but I don't.. I imagine they are looking for applicants that are very well informed about osteopathy, but do you have to shadow an osteopath in order to become well informed? Is it possible to convey your dedication toward a profession in osteopathy in other ways?

In the end, I am doing my best to train myself in the way I would want my physican to have been trained.. but then again, I'm not in med school yet...

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Read "Osteopathic Medicine: A Reformation in Progress" by Gallagher and Humphrey. I'ts an easy and concise review of the beginnings, present, and future of Osteopathic Medicine. It'll definetly answer a lot of your questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's another good book on the history of Osteopathic medicine The Difference a DO Makes I think you can only get it online.

You can also find some good information on the AOA's website. Here's a link to some general information on DOs.

I'd recommend that you shadow a couple of DOs. It would give you some exposure & connections for LORs. It's okay to have a DO letter from a physician that you have only known for a few months. The schools that require the DO letter are usually wanting to have some confirmation that you know what Osteopathic medicine is about. My school requires a DO letter, but I had 2 DO letters & an MD letter. I did check with them in advance to make sure they were okay with getting extra letters.

link

A book I read prior to applying DO:

The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine in America by Norman Gevitz

Fantabulous book :)

Best of luck learning about osteopathic medicine. Just remember...don't look at osteopathic schools as simply a means to an end.

JP always makes a good point. Don't apply to DO schools because you're underqualified for MD schools. Osteopathic medicine has its own merits, and unless you're aware of what they are, you'll have a tough time convincing your interviewers that you're a good candidate for their program. Talk to DOs, shadow them, read about osteopathic medicine, determine if it's something you REALLY want to do.

I've done most of the above, and have a sincere interest in the biomechanics of the human body, neuromusculoskeletal medicine, and preventive medicine (I'm currently pursuing an MPH). Given these interests, osteopathic medicine is the best fit for me.

Good luck to you.

INE

Thanks for the book titles!
I have for a while had an interest in what I know about osteopathic medicine, but this is also rather limiting. I am all about the idea of treating a whole patient and getting not just the problem that the patient came to the doctor about.

Part of my not applying was because I didn't feel I knew enough about osteopathic medicine and I didn't want to seem like I was just applying as a means to an end.

My schedule has always been very busy but luckily I think that this semester I can lighten my load and get some time to do more research on osteopathic medicine. :)