Did you Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a job next year in Greenville, NC.

:)
YAY! Congrats Xaelia! I had a wonderful rotation at PCMH, it's a huge, beautiful ED with a very diverse pt population, and the residents and faculty are awesome! I definately ranked it among my top choices, I would be happy to be there.

Members don't see this ad.

My PD swears that their ROL wasn't any different from previous years, and this is the first time since they started the residency that they didn't fill.

While I think we're solid, we're definitely not a high-power program, I don't think we have any high-brow notions that we can shorten our list to impress.

dmitrinyr-

how are you faring?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think applicants also got scared by last year. Many of us applied to 20+ programs. Even those of us that were told we'd "go anywhere we want", etc went on well over 10 interviews. I think the average ROL being much longer would decrease the likelihood of programs filling. Just speculation, we will see if it bears out in the analysis.

I was surprised at some of the ROL's. I was offered 16+ interviews, but only went to 10. Then saw your ROL's and started wondering if I made a mistake. I was lucky and matched, but was starting to sweat sunday night.

I was surprised at some of the ROL's. I was offered 16+ interviews, but only went to 10. Then saw your ROL's and started wondering if I made a mistake. I was lucky and matched, but was starting to sweat sunday night.

I think this means, however, that even the programs that filled went further down their lists than usual, so a bunch of us should get our top choices.:thumbup:

I think this means, however, that even the programs that filled went further down their lists than usual, so a bunch of us should get our top choices.:thumbup:

ooooh, I LOVE your logic!!!!!!! :love:

dmitrinyr-

I have not heard them discussed much here, but University of Toledo also has a newly accreditied EM Program. Here are the three which didn't participate in NRMP match.

1104721195University of Tennessee College of Medicine at Chattanooga ProgramJames Creel, Jr., MD, FACEPInitial Accreditation7/1/20077/1/2007

1103812198University of Toledo ProgramCatherine Marco, MD, FACEPInitial Accreditation7/1/20077/1/2007

1102513196Genesys Regional Medical CenterAlan Jansen, DOInitial Accreditation 7/1/2008

Good Luck

I have an agreement for a prelim in Medicine spot and I'll sign tomorrow morning first thing. I was really trying to get those 2 spots at Maimonides that got approved yesterday but according to maimo those spots are filled. I would rather have something than nothing like other people that I know.

I would really like to that everyone on this forum that supported me and my scrambling attempt.

I will reapply next year and hope for the best.

I have an agreement for a prelim in Medicine spot and I'll sign tomorrow morning first thing. I was really trying to get those 2 spots at Maimonides that got approved yesterday but according to maimo those spots are filled. I would rather have something than nothing like other people that I know.

I would really like to that everyone on this forum that supported me and my scrambling attempt.

Hey -
Congrats on the spot, I know a lot of us were thinking about you today. Hopefully you can get a sweet position in EM next year, and make the very best of it. :luck: Keep your head up.

dmitrinyr-

I have not heard them discussed much here, but University of Toledo also has a newly accreditied EM Program. Here are the three which didn't participate in NRMP match.

1104721195University of Tennessee College of Medicine at Chattanooga ProgramJames Creel, Jr., MD, FACEPInitial Accreditation7/1/20077/1/2007

1103812198University of Toledo ProgramCatherine Marco, MD, FACEPInitial Accreditation7/1/20077/1/2007

1102513196Genesys Regional Medical CenterAlan Jansen, DOInitial Accreditation 7/1/2008

Good Luck
Cool, Genesys got their approval for dual. Good for them. Very nice program.

Congrats!!! :thumbup: Maimo got approved for more spots again? Thats 2 years in a row they did this no?

Good news :thumbup:

Good Luck

Ironically, the dean of MSU-COM DO school, which the a major affliate of this hospital/program is strongly against letting MD's into DO residencies yet this program is going to get dual accreditation. Go figure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ironically, the dean of MSU-COM DO school, which the a major affliate of this hospital/program is strongly against letting MD's into DO residencies yet this program is going to get dual accreditation. Go figure.
Dr. Janssen is the head of the GME committee for the ACOEP I believe, and I think he's on the board as well.

I'd highly recommend their program to others.

Oh, and MSU's own EM program is dual-accredited too.

Did enjoy reading the article about that dean's discussion with Dr. Reed. Interesting stuff.

Congrats on securing a spot. I know it's not what you wanted, but like you said, it is something.

Congrats!

Dr. Janssen is the head of the GME committee for the ACOEP I believe, and I think he's on the board as well.

I'd highly recommend their program to others.

Oh, and MSU's own EM program is dual-accredited too.

Did enjoy reading the article about that dean's discussion with Dr. Reed. Interesting stuff.

That article in The DO is what I was refering to. What I really think is going to happen is that the program is going to become dual for the benefit of the DO's gaining future fellowships or help them with gaining academic positions. Although its one of the better AOA program its probably nothing special to MD grads so probably very few will apply anyway.

That article in The DO is what I was refering to. What I really think is going to happen is that the program is going to become dual for the benefit of the DO's gaining future fellowships or help them with gaining academic positions. Although its one of the better AOA program its probably nothing special to MD grads so probably very few will apply anyway.
I'd agree with that.

i'm happy for you dmitrinyr! It may not be exactly what you want now...but keep at it and don't give up. You know my story...give it another go next year my friend...

It is a little weird to me that DOs can go to allopathic residencies, but MDs can't go to many DO residencies. If the argument is that the degrees are close enough to go one way, people should be able to go the other

I found a spot, but some of my friends are still looking. I know people that were applying to everything today (psych, peds prelim, med cat, med prelim, surg prelim) and had very few responces. Yesterday I was so desperate that I applied to a transitional year in Ponce, Puerto Rico.... Not that this is a bad program by no means but my spanish is not that good and you would need a really good grasp of it. I figured I can learn spanish in 3 months until july. That spot ended up being filled today but that just shows how the scramble makes you do crazy things in desperate times out of shear fear and panic.

Congrats! Now you'll have a shot at the 2-4 programs AND 1-3 programs next year...

I found a spot, but some of my friends are still looking. I know people that were applying to everything today (psych, peds prelim, med cat, med prelim, surg prelim) and had very few responces. Yesterday I was so desperate that I applied to a transitional year in Ponce, Puerto Rico.... Not that this is a bad program by no means but my spanish is not that good and you would need a really good grasp of it. I figured I can learn spanish in 3 months until july. That spot ended up being filled today but that just shows how the scramble makes you do crazy things in desperate times out of shear fear and panic.

I noticed a few openings for 2-4 spots that came up on the SAEM website this year. You should bookmark it and keep checking - sometimes people change their minds, even about great fields like EM!!!

I noticed a few openings for 2-4 spots that came up on the SAEM website this year. You should bookmark it and keep checking - sometimes people change their minds, even about great fields like EM!!!

Thanks for the advice. So if a spot opens up sometime from now until July, how do they fill those (2-4 year) spots? Is it just like a mini scramble... many people apply and then they just let the person who gets it know. Or do they interview you?

It is a little weird to me that DOs can go to allopathic residencies, but MDs can't go to many DO residencies. If the argument is that the degrees are close enough to go one way, people should be able to go the other

The argument for letting MD's in our programs was about if we board them then you have to let them vote, for whatever reason some think that if you let MD's vote they will try to destroy what is unique about us (?) and then the AOA will get dissolved into the AMA (heaven forbid).

The argument for letting MD's in our programs was about if we board them then you have to let them vote, for whatever reason some think that if you let MD's vote they will try to destroy what is unique about us (?) and then the AOA will get dissolved into the AMA (heaven forbid).
I don't mean this to be dismissive in any way but haven't the DO's already destroyed what is unique about them by making their curriculum so similar to ours over the years? My DO friends tell me that the differences are minor.

Looking at it from the outside, I think a lot of people panic at the thought of being unemployed. Perhaps not so much in EM but for other specialties, I think a year of research is a brilliant idea over some random prelim or trans year that will not count towards residency training.

Looking at it from the outside, I think a lot of people panic at the thought of being unemployed. Perhaps not so much in EM but for other specialties, I think a year of research is a brilliant idea over some random prelim or trans year that will not count towards residency training.

We don't need any negativity in this thread. It is meant to be supportive.

Also, please don't post misinformation.

Any 2-4 program will accept this training.

I don't mean this to be dismissive in any way but haven't the DO's already destroyed what is unique about them by making their curriculum so similar to ours over the years? My DO friends tell me that the differences are minor.

2 years of musculoskeletal diagnosis and treatment courses with additional clinical rotations in these areas is a clear difference. These AOA residencies require continued competence in osteopathic diagnosis and manipulative treatment to maintain the program. This is one of the reasons for not allowing MD's into the programs.

Let's not turn this into a discussion about the osteopathic residency programs, because that match was a month ago, and the topic of this thread is the allopathic match.

Ah, you mean The Paradox of Osteopathy.

"At the end of the century, osteopathy continues its uneasy dance with allopathy, but only one partner is really paying attention. The resurgence in the numbers of osteopaths should not mask the precarious position of osteopathy. At its birth, osteopathy was a radical concept, rejecting much of what allopathic medicine claimed was new and useful. Today, osteopathic medicine has moved close to the mainstream — close enough that in general it is no longer considered alternative medicine. The long-term survival of osteopathic medicine will depend on its ability to define itself as distinct from and yet still equivalent to allopathic medicine. That argument may best be articulated not in theoretical terms, but by demonstrating treatment outcomes. The paradox is this: if osteopathy has become the functional equivalent of allopathy, what is the justification for its continued existence? And if there is value in therapy that is uniquely osteopathic — that is, based on osteopathic manipulation or other techniques — why should its use be limited to osteopaths?"

Thanks for the advice. So if a spot opens up sometime from now until July, how do they fill those (2-4 year) spots? Is it just like a mini scramble... many people apply and then they just let the person who gets it know. Or do they interview you?

I think it's a job application-type thing. As I understand it (and my information is secondhand) they post the opening, you respond (quickly!) with a letter of interest and CV - it's definitely NOT scramble pace! You'll be going through the match again, so they may want you to send your ERAS, some LORs, a firstborn child or whatever (I don't know, and don't quote me on that, I'm just an M3).

I'm going to give you the straight dope, because I went to St. George's, and was a worse candidate than you (as I got no EM interviews my first time around, and couldn't be in the match anyhow as I forgot to take my English test). I did a prelim year in IM at Elmhurst, which was NOT cush - the pathology was GREAT (saw stuff I'll never see again, and 4 patients from Tibet that year), but we had to do clinic, and I only got 1 elective. And 2 1/2 months of day float. I did my month in the Elmhurst ED (which was great) and my elective in the Mt. Sinai ED. Got good letters, was in great with the residents, but didn't get ranked because I was an FMG. Hell, I (as the intern) even tubed a code on the floor, and the critical care resident was a Sinai EM resident, and he said in front of everyone (and there were more than 15 people there) that he could work with me any time, any day of the week.

4 interviews that year, and I still didn't match. I did, though, successfully scramble into a spot. I think USCDiver was another successful scrambler on SDN that year. I did my time in hell at Duke, and am now gainfully employed as an EM doc.

Bust your butt this year on IM (if you don't find an EM spot), on all rotations, completely kick *** on your EM month, and, if there's another hospital affiliated with yours, try to do an EM elective there - you'll look much better as an intern than as a med student, because you can actually do stuff.

As far as the 2-4 programs, they have until next year to fill spots unfilled now, and there's a lot of things that can go in and out of flux. Keep your eyes open, and don't piss anyone off. And keep at your letter writers, including from your IM PD - you'll need that as one of your letters.

Any other questions, PM me. There are all sorts of quotes and aphorisms (in multiple languages) that all round out to the same thing: ad astra per aspera, vouloir, c'est pouvoir, "You may be whatever you resolve to be" (MG TJ "Stonewall" Jackson), "why is it that people who work the hardest seem to have the best luck?", and so on.

If you want it, work for it. In this case, the race isn't always to the swiftest, but to the one who keeps on running. I'm proof of that.

Usually if someone drops out first interviews are given to known candidates or by word of mouth. You will interview and then be offered the spot or not. It happens at a much more leisurely pace. The program wants a good fit just like you do. That being said, there are not that many 2-4's and there is a low attrition rate.
You interviewed at Lincoln and were thought well of so my advice would be to stay in touch. There is talk of expanding the program over the next year by two. I don't know if it will get approved but it is a shot that would allow you to stay on track. Additionally apply everywhere for next years match. Buff up your application by networking and taking step 3 (study your *ss off).
Lastly, don't give up on your dream. The only way you will fail is if you do. PM me if you have any questions. Good luck,
I.

Congrats to all who matched and good luck to all trying to work through the disappointment of not matching. It will work out in the end!