Did you find lower extremity anatomy easier than general anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxo111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my school, we have a separate course for the lower extremity anatomy. I was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding lower extremity anatomy compared to general anatomy. I will say that general anatomy wasn't bad until I got to head and neck, and upper extremity (to some extent).

Members don't see this ad.

At my school, we have a separate course for the lower extremity anatomy. I was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding lower extremity anatomy compared to general anatomy. I will say that general anatomy wasn't bad until I got to head and neck, and upper extremity (to some extent).
I found it easier to learn. Idk if the material and PPT were organized well, but I found it more straightforward. You have layers and compartments. Plus our department set clear expectations, provided nice lab and lecture manuals for studying. PPT slides were also well organized. It's the same anatomy dep and faculty, but I found Gross Antomy to be all over the place. Plus we have covered LE in gross anatomy anyways, so mostly it was review with more in depth info and more detailed questions.

Reactions: 2 users
At my school and in my opinion, LLA was much easier to learn and understand.

Here's why....
1) It's my field, my specialty and interest.
2) It's way more in depth, which means, it requires more attention to detail and you are forced to study harder
3) The course was organized super well at my school and my professors were spot on in terms of what you need to know for the APMLE Part I
4) Finally, I started to relate podiatric surgeries and clinical-related cases with my LLA and just connecting the dots.

Reactions: 1 users
My advice for LEA is to never stop studying it. At my school we take LEA the summer after 1st year. I made anki cards for everything in that class and never stopped doing those anki cards when they were due throughout all of 2nd year. Sure, maybe 5 minutes everyday went to studying LEA which wasn't immediately necessary, but now that I have boards in 2 weeks, all I have to do is a cursory review of LEA since I kept up on it every day for the past year. I don't plan on stopping those cards after boards since its so vital to our field.

Reactions: 1 users