Did you apply to categorical programs too?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you apply to categorical programs this year?

• No - I applied only to combined programs

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Yes - I applied to combined programs and a few categorical programs that I really liked

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Yes - I applied to combined programs with a few categorical programs as backup

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hearing from many programs and from applicants themselves (who have been told by many programs) that applications are up this year across the board (no specific NRMP numbers yet to back up what everyone is saying). I've heard some applicants say they have applied to categorical programs as back-ups (which makes sense)

This poll was created to see what our SDN members are doing (and would be interesting to see how it compares to overall numbers that will be released by the NRMP after the match). Your vote will be anonymous.

Members don't see this ad.

Excuse my ignorance, but is it possible to apply to both a combo residency and a categorical residency at the same institution? And if so, do you have two seperate interview days? Also, how does that work in the official rank list. Say I really want to do EM/IM at program X, but as a backup I would still be happy with straight EM at program X. Can you put different programs at the same institution on your rank list for the match. I assume you can, but have never really heard it talked about.