This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed3877

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I am actually thinking of applying to osteopathic medical school in the next few months and wanted to know your opinion and ask for advice.

I graduated from luc with a bs in biology with a concentration in molecular biology. I graduated in 2015 with a 3.0 cumulative and science gpa. Through those years I mostly had a lot of B's. I did have to retake organic chemistry II about 3 times.

The following year, I retook all of my classes that had a c or lower in them at 3 different community colleges in a single semester.

This year I completed a biomedical science masters at kcu and will end up with a gpa of 3.3. I feel as with a gpa this low I may not have a chance at medical school any longer. I wanted your opinion as to if i should take the chance and apply or is there there something else that i can do to raise my gpa?

As for my extracurricular activites, I have been involved in multiple cultural organizations since I was in high school. They include :

• 1 nonprofit that raises money for a home for the destitutes in northern India [ i helped raised money, plan events, and performed]
  • a group that looks to spread awareness of my culture [ performer and later dance coordinator]
  • a religious Sunday school [ teacher assitant]
  • a religious camp [ initially as a camper, but now a teacher]
  • member of my temple
  • dermatology club [ this year]
  • volunteered at a hospital in various depts [ over 300 hours]
  • optician [1 year]
  • ophthalmolic technition [ few months, until i moved to missouri]
  • volunteered at retirement community [ over 100 hours]
  • shadowed 3 doctors [ over 200 hours] and still shadowing
  • aided in mission to Haiti [ie. Prepared everything the Dr. needed for her trip, gathered supplies, organized and packed all materials]
Have great letters of rec, all from kcu

As for the following gap year, at this point planning on taking an emt course and volunteering in research lab.

Mcat score is 512, planning on retaking it to see if i can get it higher.

Thank you for all your help and advice in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't retake the 512. That's not a smart move. Sure SMP >3.5 but a 3.3 plus that mcat will net you more than few DO interviews

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Don't retake the 512. That's not a smart move. Sure SMP >3.5 but a 3.3 plus that mcat will bet you more than few DO interviews
Thank you so much for your input, do you have any suggestions as to where I should apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how your SMP performance will affect your app, but your MCAT is stellar, your ECs seem unique, and if you have KCU LORs, I feel like your app is very strong.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Apply broadly to all DO schools. You'll get in. Best of luck.

I agree with the others. Apply broadly and I'm sure you'll get a few acceptances. Great job on the MCAT!

You seem to be in decent shape and not as lethal as what you make it out to be. Pretty sure your MCAT and possibly how you speak about your EC's could be what pushes towards acceptance. I agree with others that you should apply broadly. Here's the 2016 average GPA/MCAT for matriculants in DO schools that someone kindly put together on Reddit. As you can see your MCAT score would play in nicely.

Quick question though, how was your preparation for the MCAT? Did you follow any sort of schedule?

Reactions: 1 users
It is not necessarily a bad GPA for osteopathic schools. I think it shows you can pass all your classes and will probably be an average student. I think you just need to apply broadly and will get a few acceptances.