did not pass IM, please help , Kimberly Cox or anyone else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rattlesnake

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
I am a third yr med student at a US med school. I started my 3rd yr with IM and I got a Marginal in it (I don't have to repeat the clerkship)
My question is what things I should do to repair the damage caused by this grade.
My step 1 score is 225. Should I take step II CK early to repair the damage caused by the marginal in IM clerkship?
Ironically, I am thinking about applying to IM residency.

Members don't see this ad.

As Dr. Mom notes, there are two important things you need to do to rectify the situation.

1) find out why (if you don't know already) why you got a "marginal" grade. What was their concern? Is it something you can work hard to change?

2) do a Medicine Sub-I and some electives. Do well in them.

3) be able to explain #1 and show how, with #2, you rose from the ashes.

Your Step 1 score is fine; if you know you will do better on Step 2 (most people score within a few points of their Step 1 score), then take it before apps go out. But your best bet is to do well on the Med Sub-I and electives, and get some great LORs, as well as an explanation for your performance - in your mind - and in your dean's letter or other LOR.

I got marginal because of shelf score and some other tests. I got above avg evals.
Someone told me that it would be a good idea if I take step II early to compensate for my marginal IM grade.
Thanks for your input. I guess I need to concentrate first on getting good score on IM Sub-I.