Did i miss the boat on applying for HPSP this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoss19

half iron, half man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious to know if, as the title of this thread asks, i am SOL when it comes to being considered for this program for this cycle?

Recently I found out about this program after meeting a dentist in my area who completed the program a while back. He wasn't sure about deadlines for applying (i dont hold it against him!). I tried researching deadline dates on line but i have not come up with much. Any help would be miuch appreciated.

I understand that at this point my application would be considered late (hopefully not TOO late) and that my chances are not that good with a mediocre stats (3.35 GPA, 20 DAT). Nonetheless I am very interested about this program! Thanks in advance for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak for the Air Force in answering your question. I have been told by my recruiter that the Air Force's first dental board meets on the 27th of October to decide on the dental corps scholarships. Last cycle all of the Air Force HPSP scholarships were taken by the second board meeting in January.

So if you are looking for an Air Force scholarship then I would try and get started as soon as possible.

Hope this helps

I am curious to know if, as the title of this thread asks, i am SOL when it comes to being considered for this program for this cycle?

Recently I found out about this program after meeting a dentist in my area who completed the program a while back. He wasn't sure about deadlines for applying (i dont hold it against him!). I tried researching deadline dates on line but i have not come up with much. Any help would be miuch appreciated.

I understand that at this point my application would be considered late (hopefully not TOO late) and that my chances are not that good with a mediocre stats (3.35 GPA, 20 DAT). Nonetheless I am very interested about this program! Thanks in advance for the help!

From your previous posts it looks like you are still in the midst of applying to dental school, correct? If that's the case you would apply next spring/summer before you start d-school. While you can fill out the paperwork and such you can't actually go before the board and be considered for a scholarship until you have an actual acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was under the impression that the military would set aside scholarships for individuals that were well qualified even without an official acceptance from a dental school.

This is what I was told from my recruiter.

I was under the impression that the military would set aside scholarships for individuals that were well qualified even without an official acceptance from a dental school.

This is what I was told from my recruiter.

Unless you see it in writting your recruiter can tell you anything they want. The sad fact of the matter is, is that there are plenty of people that would like a miltary scholarship that never get an acceptance into dental school.

Again, your application does not go before the selection board, and is not considered complete, until you have an actual acceptance in hand to submit with your package.

I personally know people that were told they would get a scholarship and when it ended up finally going before the selection board, amazingly there were none left. Until you sign on the dotted line and raise your right hand you don't have a scholarship no matter what anyone tells you.

Unless you see it in writting your recruiter can tell you anything they want. The sad fact of the matter is, is that there are plenty of people that would like a miltary scholarship that never get an acceptance into dental school.

Again, your application does not go before the selection board, and is not considered complete, until you have an actual acceptance in hand to submit with your package.

I personally know people that were told they would get a scholarship and when it ended up finally going before the selection board, amazingly there were none left. Until you sign on the dotted line and raise your right hand you don't have a scholarship no matter what anyone tells you.

Oh OK well thanks for the information. I hope that I'll be able to get a scholarship. That will push back the date that they will review my scholarship application because at the earliest I will receive an acceptance to dental school on the 1st of December.

I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Oh OK well thanks for the information. I hope that I'll be able to get a scholarship. That will push back the date that they will review my scholarship application because at the earliest I will receive an acceptance to dental school on the 1st of December.

I guess I'll have to wait and see.

It would be silly if they met to give out scholarships in October to people who wouldn't start until fall 2009, namely because NONE of us have been accepted, nor will we until Dec. 1st at the very earliest.

From everything I've gathered from financial aid people at interviews, the HPSP application process for us who are interviewing/applying to dental schools now has yet to begin. Of course, I have no idea when specifically it begins or ends..

Best of luck!

I got this information directly from an official Air Force document. The first review board meets to decide on these scholarships on October 27th.

You can be provisionally accepted to the AF's HPSP without an official dental school acceptance letter. If you do receive the provisional acceptance and do not get into a dental school then your scholarship spot drops to the next applicant on the list. Again, straight from official air force documentation and from several Army and Air Force HPSP applicants in the past.

Hope this clears the situation up.

Good luck with everything guys!

From your previous posts it looks like you are still in the midst of applying to dental school, correct? If that's the case you would apply next spring/summer before you start d-school. While you can fill out the paperwork and such you can't actually go before the board and be considered for a scholarship until you have an actual acceptance.

I can't speak for the other services, but for the Army, this is not quite true. The Army has automatic acceptance. If an applicant has a 3.5 GPA or is in the top 30% of their class, an academic average of 19 or higher on the DAT, and is otherwise fully qualified (does not need a waiver), they can be offered the scholarship without a letter of acceptance and without going through the selection board. If they do not receive an acceptance by August 1st, the scholarship is withdrawn.

Information on this can be found here: USAREC Regulation 601-605

Directly from your USAREC Reg 7-2:
Those who are qualified under the AAC are conditionally accepted for HPSP participation and will only be boarded for appointment. Acceptance is subject to space availability and meeting all eligibility, administrative, and enrollment requirements.

They are basically saying that you are elgible for a scholarship (i.e. boarded for appointment). They are not "holding" a spot for you (i.e. Acceptance is subject to space availability). If they run out of scholarships before you get accepted into d-school or accept a comission your SOL.

Realistically the Air Force has been the only branch that has been filling all of its slots in recent years. I really wouldn't be worried about not having a scholarship available unless you have your heart set on an Air Force HPSP.

Last edited:
The AF has the criteria of a 3.5 GPA and 19 on DAT to matrix you for a scholarship. If you don't get accepted to dental school, the scholarship is withdrawn.

Thanks for the info AFDDS.

So would I be safe to assume it's not too late to apply for the Navy HPSP if I'm starting school next fall? I think I'm matrix qualified (3.6 gpa and 21AA on DAT). I flopped over from Air Force because of the possibility of being stationed in a God-forsaken landlocked frozen hellhole like Minot...

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you getting this information from?

I'm pretty sure that's not true... you do NOT have to have an acceptance.
I have multiple people applying for this scholarship NOW for medical and dental to enter in the Fall of 09. Nobody has an acceptance yet, and the scholarship boards are meeting this month.

I personally HAVE the AF HPSP and I do not have an acceptance yet.

You are given an allocation, and I guess if you don't get accepted, they give it to someone else.

I have multiple people applying for this scholarship NOW for medical and dental to enter in the Fall of 09. Nobody has an acceptance yet, and the scholarship boards are meeting this month.

You are given an allocation, and I guess if you don't get accepted, they give it to someone else.

You understand correctly, AFdentalgirl.

I think they changed the whole policy for this year. Last year, your application went to review whether or not you had an acceptance, but a lot of people who got the scholarship did not get into dental school for some reason. So, my understanding is that pre-dec1 reviews are for those who are already in dental school applying for the 3 yr scholarship. Everyone else applying for the 4 year scholarship without the acceptance has to wait until they get accepted (post-dec1). I know this is kind of ridiculous, but i guess AF did not want to spent their time and money on the applicants who are not going to get into dental school. This is what my recruiter told me. My application is currently on hold until i get accepted somewhere, tho my app got completed in september.

that's interesting because i think it's the same process for medical and dental, and my boyfriend submitted his app for medical already. he's been meeting with the recruiter and just got everything done and ready last week to be reviewed by the boards in december...

i wonder what's with the lack of continuity?!!?!

I'm just going to wait until the beginning of December and see if I hear anything about acceptances at dental schools and see if I get accepted to the scholarship program with the Air Force.

Then we'll know for sure what the policy is for this year's applicants.

The AF has the criteria of a 3.5 GPA and 19 on DAT to matrix you for a scholarship. If you don't get accepted to dental school, the scholarship is withdrawn.

im sorry, but this is f'in horse dung that you have to be 'matrix' qualified to be eligible for this scholarship. if you are accepted to 20 schools, have a 3.4 but a 24 AA, then you dont qualify. that is f'in lame.

hoss19,
You're reading too much into it. The decision was made that those scores were good enough to allow you to receive a scholarship without meeting a board. Your still eligible with the criteria you listed. You just have to meet a competitive board. Like any other scholarship, there have to be some criteria as to who is eligible, etc...

Does HPSP have an automatic acceptance? I was always told it was 3.5/19 was automatic acceptance for HPSP...

You have been commissioned? If not then you don't "HAVE" anything yet. You might have a conditional acceptance and that is all, which is exactly what Eric275 said. Nothing is final until you are an official O-1 drawing benefits. I guarantee that that won't happen until you have a formal letter of acceptance from an accredited Dental school. The military is not going to commission someone and then wait to see if they actually get accepted.

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knew anything about the 3 yr AF HPSP scholarship....

I am currently in my first semester of dental school at the University of Oklahoma and have applied for the 3 yr HPSP scholarship with the AF. I was recently contacted by my recruiter who told me I was put on the wait list, but he and his superior were very confident that I would eventually receive it b/c every year there are a handful of people who decline the scholarship. Does anyone know how many of the 3 yr scholarships are out there???? They tell me that I am at the top of the wait list, but who knows...

Stats - 3.6 GPA, 3.65 Sci GPA, 18 DAT

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knew anything about the 3 yr AF HPSP scholarship....

I am currently in my first semester of dental school at the University of Oklahoma and have applied for the 3 yr HPSP scholarship with the AF. I was recently contacted by my recruiter who told me I was put on the wait list, but he and his superior were very confident that I would eventually receive it b/c every year there are a handful of people who decline the scholarship. Does anyone know how many of the 3 yr scholarships are out there???? They tell me that I am at the top of the wait list, but who knows...

Stats - 3.6 GPA, 3.65 Sci GPA, 18 DAT

Doesn't hurt to have a "fall back" plan. Army can still get you a 4 year if you applied soon. They could get you a 3 1/2 yr if you waited until next semester.

I just talked to my recruiter and there are only 17 AF 4 year scholarships left.

Those 17 remaining scholarship will be gone when the next board meets. Which I think is sometime in early January. Good luck to all.