Did I hurt my application by not wearing a suit for my ERAS photo? Should I upload a new one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDapplicant578124

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm just being neurotic but I received no advice about ERAS photos from my school so assumed that a shirt and tie in solid professional colors would be sufficient...and then for the actual interviews I have a nice suit to wear.

Now every single reddit thread I read says you must wear a suit for the ERAS photo and and I'm pretty worried I just sunk my application. Should I pay a few hundred for an expedited retake ASAP?

Members don't see this ad.

You’re being neurotic. No one will notice or care.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest, most programs don't care but there are a few ones that may see it as a negative point.

I’d argue that you should avoid the programs that hold a petty thing like that against you anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
Just put what you want to wear during residency, and any program that doesn't like that can self-select out of the privilege of having you as their resident. Spare yourself the grief of being told you need to walk home in the middle of the day to put on a tie before you can present at the multidisciplinary conference. (heard that story at my program)