Dicarboxylic acids naming paradox inside [1 question]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok lets say you have hexane dioic acid, and it is subsituted by one ethyl group and one propyl group. Each group is on the carbon alpha to a different carbonyl group. Which alkyl group would take precedence. In the kaplan book they chose ethyl but i'm am unsure to as why, because i thought it was based on size, what they did seems to have it based on alphabet.

Kaplan Answer: 2-ethyl-5-propylhexanedioic acid
My Answer (Is this Wrong, and if so why?) 5-ethyl-2-propylhexanedioic acid

acids1-10.gif

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Nice question!

With the size thing, I think you are referring to placing substituents axial/equatorial on a six membered ring. (bigger groups go equatorial, if possible due to stability).

Just my opinion, but I would say this would not come up on the MCAT. Either way looks good to me--they would only catch you on the order in the naming, which you have correct by alphabet. If all else fails, go with what Kaplan has as their answer.

-tx

The alkyl substituents have equal priority (versus, say, a hydroxy or alkene), so I believe they get numbered in alphabetic order. But it's a pretty technical rule that often gets violated and I doubt would appear on an actual MCAT.

I agree that this would most likely not end up on the MCAT. In the practice tests I've taken (EK & AAMC) and two real MCATs I never saw anything that technical.

liverotcod said:
The alkyl substituents have equal priority (versus, say, a hydroxy or alkene), so I believe they get numbered in alphabetic order. But it's a pretty technical rule that often gets violated and I doubt would appear on an actual MCAT.

Thats the correct rule ..... when both have equal priority, alphabetical order is used to determine the order.