Diagnostic Lenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is the best general use BIO Lens?

• 20D

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Pan Retinal 2.2

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Digital Clear Field

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

yetbun12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on purchasing my first set of slit lamp lenses. As of right now, we are required to purchase a 20D (or other equivalent BIO lens) and a 90D/super field. I am aware of the specs of the different lenses and I'm leaning towards the digital clear field for my BIO lens and the super field for my 90D.

1. What is your preference between 90D vs super field and why? I know 90D has better small pupil capability but I like the wider field of view that the super field offers. I'm not sure which would be better for general optometry practice. I am also planning on purchasing a super66 or a 78D in the future for a more magnified view.

2. Has anyone tried the 20D and the digital clear field BIO lens? Based on the stats the pan retinal 2.2 is quite similar to the digital clear field, but the digital clear field has a slightly higher magnification and smaller lens size. Is there any down side to going for the digital clear field instead of the standard 20D?

Appreciate any comments!! thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No bad decision here.
It's just what you get used to.

My preference: 20D for BIO and a Superfield and a Superpupil at the slit lamp.

No bad decision here.
It's just what you get used to.

My preference: 20D for BIO and a Superfield and a Superpupil at the slit lamp.
Is it possible to use a super field undilated? Or would I be better to go with the 90D. I like the wider field on the superfield and in school most of my patients will be dilated, but after school a lot of patients will not be dilated.

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to use a super field undilated? Or would I be better to go with the 90D. I like the wider field on the superfield and in school most of my patients will be dilated, but after school a lot of patients will not be dilated.
Thanks for your input!
Sometimes. All depends on the patient and your steady hand.
I'll grab my Superpupil (or 90) quicker for a small pupil

I've only every used a 20D and a 90D and never really felt like I needed a different lens.

This. The lens isn't going to make or break you. 20D and 90D can do all you need. If you're a student, save getting your fancy lenses after you graduate.

This. The lens isn't going to make or break you. 20D and 90D can do all you need. If you're a student, save getting your fancy lenses after you graduate.
Is it worth buying a lens before you graduate with student pricing? I agree that the basic lenses you get will work with every patient, but I do wish I could have tried different ones and found the ones I liked best.

Is it worth buying a lens before you graduate with student pricing? I agree that the basic lenses you get will work with every patient, but I do wish I could have tried different ones and found the ones I liked best.
If you do, buy it in the calendar year you'll start practicing.
You'll be able to expense it out on your tax return.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! tbh I'm not really concerned with price, the cost difference between the various versions of the same lens is less than $100 (with my student discount). I'd rather get the best option available now rather than getting the basics trying to save $100 and then end up wanting to upgrade and have to spend another $400 before I graduate!

I'm pretty set on the digital clear field instead of the 20D for my BIO, but I'm still undecided about 90D vs super field. Everyone I talk to really likes whichever they use, so I have a feeling that It doesn't really matter in the end!