Diagnostic Kitsor Components - your thoughts/ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bclover

UIUC-CVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In an attempt to give my husband and family ideas for Christmas for me, I have been contemplating asking for either a diagnostic kit or the individual components. (OK, yes I have just over 2.5 years more to go, but I am wanting to begin to piece together my own arsenal of key instruments.)

So, specific to veterinary medicine, does anyone have an opinion on this approach? Brand? Features I would want to have? Other thoughts or ideas are welcome.

I'm also open to thoughts on other "things" that would be useful to me, besides gift certificates to the bookstore, or specific books. BTW, I am gearing up for mixed practice.

Thanks in advance!
(Oh, and sorry about the lack of a space between "kits and "or" in the thread title)

Members don't see this ad.

Alliecat,

I mentioned that I am headed for mixed practice in the OP (emphasis on large animal) - any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoof testers? With a wide pressure area, so you never punch through a sole accidently!

Hmmm...I might wait until you get out into practice a bit or at least clinics since the practice will probably pay for a lot of that if it's useful if they don't already have one, you know? Plus you'd probably want to use and try them before you buy. Just a thought... ;)

Electrophile has some good points.

I am just trying to come up with something to tell them - things that would likely come in handy at some point - as I have absolutely no other ideas right now. Just too much of a vet focus in my life I suppose. [And, I am a (very) non-traditional student being just old enough that I don't just "need" anything else right now, really.]

If I do choose to go this route, is Welch Allyn THE brand or have any of you used others you liked better?

sunshine vet - that's another good idea, thanks!

I am not sure what you mean by diagnostic kit as where ever you start working will have equiptment for you to use.

Good coveralls--maybe insulated if you plan on working in cold places? Other professsional clothing? Lab coat with name?

An embosser to mark items as yours (textbooks etc)?

I like my littman stethescope.

Hmmm...I might wait until you get out into practice a bit or at least clinics since the practice will probably pay for a lot of that if it's useful if they don't already have one, you know? Plus you'd probably want to use and try them before you buy. Just a thought... ;)
+1 :thumbup:

I mean, at most vet clinics there is such an abundance of stethescopes even, that you dont really need your own.

But a cute coffee mug that is unique is a must :D

palpation jackets
palpation sleeves
coveralls or bibbed overalls
gloves

I know our farm vet was very happy to have a good palpation jacket.

I asked for some additional scrubs for clinical rotations, gloves, a stethascope holder, another set of clogs, stuff for my dogs (particularly bones....since it keeps them from being pests while I study), and the general toiletries and stuff (frees up my money for other uses.) I also ask for specific books and specific office supplies. I have also been given a month of meals (similar to dream dinners), a monthly plant club (I like plants), memberships to a farm cooperative (delivered to my door). Oh, I also have boards books already, and vet magazine subscriptions. Sometimes cable/utilities will allow family members to pay ahead on bills as gifts (always nice for a starving student!)

Also think of stuff that's required for labs/clinics that is not provided. Big stuff is like coveralls, GOOD BOOTS THAT DON'T SUCK, warm socks for outdoor work during the cold months of the year, FAST BEEP THERMOMETERS, cheapy watches that have a stopwatch, eleventy billion pairs of the regulation scrubs, just practical stuff.

I don't know about everyone's school, but I wouldn't get a white coat that has your name embroidered as you'd kinda look like a tool at least in my school (the doctors have this, students just wear their ID badges). Just a thought. I do like Angelo84's idea of an embosser or label maker though! :cool:

Here some students have embroidered coats and others don't. doesn't seem to matter. Husband is giving me magnetic name tags because I hate pins...and several so I don't have to worry about misplacing one.

If you use a computer a lot, stuff for it can be nice as well, such as a back up harddrive, thumbdrives, screen wipes (the single ones that are individually packaged are great for school). Ink cartridges.

Hmmm....my parents gave me a set of boards books after our white coat ceremony. They believe that if you are going to be tested, you should learn the format and info early. Husband gave me a new digital camera, since my old one was starting to have problems and I wanted a smaller camera for school.

Electric throw...less heating bills. hmmm...

Thanks for the ideas folks.

As for "diagnostic kits" I was specifically referring to otoscopes and ophthalmoscopes. Yes, I know that each clinic has those, along with stethoscopes (which I already have) - again just thinking of ideas especially for on farm calls, besides clothing type items.

Oh, I like the ideas of specific office ideas, magnetic names badges, etc. Thanks again, everyone.