diagnostic facet medial branch block timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some patients with facet mediated pain seem to have the most pain during the first hour in the morning after waking, and also at the the end of the day, with less pain in between. How do you approach these patients in regards to timing of the Dx medial branch block procedure? In other words, the patients may already be past the worst of their pain by the time they come in to see you in the morning, and perhaps they only have mild pain by the time they come in to your office. Or if they are scheduled in the afternoon, perhaps their pain is still mild, and not usually severe until after 7pm for example. Or perhaps, the patient normally has significant pain throughout the day, but by chance, the day the come in for the procedure is a good day and they are not having much pain at the time of procedure, even though they had a bad day yesterday. Wouldn't a diagnostic block have less utility in those situations, as any improvement in pain would be subtle? How do you handle this situation?

Options I can think of:
1) Go ahead with procedure anyway and hope for the best.
2) Reschedule procedure to another day (but risk of same situation occurring again).
3) Tell them they are not a good candidate for the procedure.
4) Do intraarticular steroid injection instead of diagnostic medial branch block
5) Other options?

Members don't see this ad.

Some patients with facet mediated pain seem to have the most pain during the first hour in the morning after waking, and also at the the end of the day, with less pain in between. How do you approach these patients in regards to timing of the Dx medial branch block procedure? In other words, the patients may already be past the worst of their pain by the time they come in to see you in the morning, and perhaps they only have mild pain by the time they come in to your office. Or if they are scheduled in the afternoon, perhaps their pain is still mild, and not usually severe until after 7pm for example. Or perhaps, the patient normally has significant pain throughout the day, but by chance, the day the come in for the procedure is a good day and they are not having much pain at the time of procedure, even though they had a bad day yesterday. Wouldn't a diagnostic block have less utility in those situations, as any improvement in pain would be subtle? How do you handle this situation?

Options I can think of:
1) Go ahead with procedure anyway and hope for the best.
2) Reschedule procedure to another day (but risk of same situation occurring again).
3) Tell them they are not a good candidate for the procedure.
4) Do intraarticular steroid injection instead of diagnostic medial branch block
5) Other options?
If their pain is that inconsistent, then I would recommend IA facet injections.

If negative you’ve ruled out facets.

If positive, someone with only mild facet OA(because of inconsistent pain) might achieve close to the duration of relief after IA facets as they would after an RFA.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks bedrock. That sounds good to me, and what I would usually choose to do also. Helpful to know that there is enough justification to choose IA facet without being dinged for not doing the the MBB procedure which has more literature support. It also seems easier anyway to convince patient to go for a Tx injection than a strictly Dx injection, rather than the other way around, except for those that are averse to steroids.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve told plenty of patients to return when they are painful. The staff knows to bring them in when they call, quickie exam to reproduce the complaint and on the table they go. Injections are quick enough. There is no other way to do it IMO. I wouldn’t bother with IA stuff if asymptomatic because a negative result means nothing.

If positive, someone with only mild facet OA(because of inconsistent pain) might achieve close to the duration of relief after IA facets as they would after an RFA.
IA facets?
Ugh.
How about provocative maneuvers before and after MBB?

Reactions: 1 users

Which insurance plans are still allowing IA facets? Even before Medicare put the kabosh on them I was getting pushback from private insurance.

Medicare made the exception for IA facets if there is a contraindication to MBBs - would you consider dementia in that category? I have a nice patient who benefitted from facets last year but she’s got the kind of dementia where she wanders off and gets lost. Her husband is the one who knows when her pain gets bad. I really don’t see how MBBs will work with her.

Which insurance plans are still allowing IA facets? Even before Medicare put the kabosh on them I was getting pushback from private insurance.

Medicare made the exception for IA facets if there is a contraindication to MBBs - would you consider dementia in that category? I have a nice patient who benefitted from facets last year but she’s got the kind of dementia where she wanders off and gets lost. Her husband is the one who knows when her pain gets bad. I really don’t see how MBBs will work with her.
Most insurances in the Rockies do allow IA facets, you just have to call them diagnostic IA facet injections not therapeutic.

Steve, I’ve had multiple patients with early facet OA obtain 9-10 months of relief after IA facets, which is similar to RFA results.
Why put those patients through RFA until they need it?

I definitely proceed straight to RFA if a patient has medium to severe facet OA.

I almost never do IA facets for Medicare age patients as they always need RFA, and IA facets can be quite challenging at that age

Last edited:
Most insurances in the Rockies do allow IA facets, you just have to call them diagnostic IA facet injections not therapeutic.

Steve, I’ve had multiple patients with early facet OA obtain 9-10 months of relief after IA facets, which is similar to RFA results.
Why put those patients through RFA until they need it?

I definitely proceed straight to RFA if a patient has medium to severe facet OA.

I almost never do IA facets for Medicare age patients as they always need RFA, and IA facets can be quite challenging at that age
YOU have had the experience, but it is not born out in the literature.

Medicare guidelines now require contraindication to RFA to proceed with facet, but they also require successful dual diagnostic MBBs. I’m not sure where that leaves patients with dementia.
I have a few patients who have had MBBs but either didn’t want the RFA, or felt like the facet injections worked better for them than the RFA, and refuse the RF, lack of consent is the contraindication.

ia post lami works when rfa fails, pearl from Hawkeye

YOU have had the experience, but it is not born out in the literature.
Agree, but there isn't level 1 evidence for much of what we do, unfortunately.

Most of us here see depomedrol work far longer than dexamethasone. There are no good studies comparing both steroid for lumbar stenosis or recurrent lumbar radic, particularly in the setting of stenosis, only studies for acute radiculopathy for which TFESI with dex is clearly the initial interventional treatment of choice.

Nevertheless, many of us on this thread use ILESI, or caudal with depo and see many months of relief for these patients who failed dex.

Same with IA facets. I've never seen a study that had a separate cohort of IA facet injections for patients aged 50-60/65 with mild facet OA. If they did, I expect they would find it works nearly as well as RFA, but at less than a third of the price of MBB X 2 and unilateral RFA x 2.

there are no real good studies that suggest epidural injections really work for stenosis in the first place.

hard to study different drugs if the injection doesn't really help that much.

I would disagree with your assessment about dex vs. depo. the difference in my experience and some of the colleagues I talk to is a matter of 1-2 weeks.

there are some studies that do suggest long term benefit from RFA, but none that I am aware of that show long term benefit from IA facet injections.

if you have some, please post because hearsay is not clinically sufficient to guide treatment.

I understand this will be considered GIGO, but...

The level of evidence is II with moderate strength of recommendation for lumbar radiofrequency ablation with inclusion of 11 relevant randomized controlled trials (RCTs) with 2 negative studies and 4 studies with long-term improvement. • The level of evidence is II with moderate strength of recommendation for therapeutic lumbar facet joint nerve blocks with inclusion of 3 relevant randomized controlled trials, with long-term improvement. • The level of evidence is IV with weak strength of recommendation for lumbar facet joint intraarticular injections with inclusion of 9 relevant randomized controlled trials, with majority of them showing lack of effectiveness without the use of local anesthetic.

I'm with bedrock. I also do IA with steroid in younger patients, 18-40. Athletes, MVAs. MRIs show mild or no OA, but often some T2 hyperintensity. I do the first injection as an IA with steroid, with the plan of doing either an MBB/RFA or repeat IA but with PRP if it's not durable. There is a study that shows more durable improvement with IA FJI w/ PRP than steroid. Very infrequently do I have to proceed with MBB/RFA. I don't think any facet injection studies stratify this demographic. If they are grouped in with older patients, I'm sure studies will show little benefit from IA.

Again, older patients, moderate+ OA straight to MBB/RFA.

Members don't see this ad :)
another study showing what we know: intraarticular injections with steroids are not therapeutic. neither are median branch blocks.

another study showing what we know: intraarticular injections with steroids are not therapeutic. neither are median branch blocks.

Same with IA facets. I've never seen a study that had a separate cohort of IA facet injections for patients aged 50-60/65 with mild facet OA. If they did, I expect they would find it works nearly as well as RFA, but at less than a third of the price of MBB X 2 and unilateral RFA x 2.
This study didn't stratify for age so it means absolutely nothing.

When an IA facet study includes two age groups, such as 30-60 and 60-90 years and shows the IA facets don't work in the 30-60 group, then I will believe Steve and Ducttape.

Until then, the rest of us will believe our own eyes which is that IA facets work 80% as long as RFA in non medicare patients with only mild facet OA.

When an IA facet study includes two age groups, such as 30-60 and 60-90 years and shows the IA facets don't work in the 30-60 group, then I will believe Steve and Ducttape.

Until then, the rest of us will believe our own eyes which is that IA facets work 80% as long as RFA in non medicare patients with only mild facet OA.
You are delusional. Research isnt binary. It is graded on a continuum. It can have flaws and be downgraded. It can mean absolutely nothing when N is underpowered, methodology is compromised, bias is overpowering, etc.

interestingly, your eyes seem to show something that you profess is seen by others but that i and some others can definitively state is not.

and what you are uniquely seeing is so evident - prove it. study it, and publish it. study it the right way - with a double blinded randomized study, not a retrospective case review where you decide the results. .

or find research and post it that supports your point.

or acknowledge that what you are quoting is at best expert opinion and no further and should not be considered dogma, because that is the feeling i get from reading the posts.

interestingly, your eyes seem to show something that you profess is seen by others but that i and some others can definitively state is not.

and what you are uniquely seeing is so evident - prove it. study it, and publish it. study it the right way - with a double blinded randomized study, not a retrospective case review where you decide the results. .

or find research and post it that supports your point.

or acknowledge that what you are quoting is at best expert opinion and no further and should not be considered dogma, because that is the feeling i get from reading the posts.
You are delusional. Research isnt binary. It is graded on a continuum. It can have flaws and be downgraded. It can mean absolutely nothing when N is underpowered, methodology is compromised, bias is overpowering, etc.
there are no real good studies that suggest epidural injections really work for stenosis in the first place.

I would disagree with your assessment about dex vs. depo. the difference in my experience and some of the colleagues I talk to is a matter of 1-2 weeks.
I agree that there are no good studies on stenosis, because those patients are much harder to find, stratify, and include in a study. This why steve and you stating that dex is just as good as depo is wrong, because the dex vs depo studies were performed on acute radiculopathy only, and not for stenosis which has different pathophysiology.

You can disagree with my assessment all you want, but you are mistreating your patients if you do so.
Just today I had a patient come back with a fairly common difficult to treat issue, 50 something patient with L5-S1 degenerative bulge with mild-moderate lateral recess stenosis s/p L5-S1 discectomy in distant past. Previous physician did S1 TFESI with dex x 2, patient only had relief for 2 days after each epidural, I did an S1 TFESI with depo and the patient came back to me just now because he had excellent relief for 4 months!
75% of the time I see the same results in patients with the common L4-L5 grade 1 spondylolisthesis and moderate stenosis. Patients obtains a week of relief after L5-S1 TFESI with dex, and then 5 months of relief after L5-S1 ILESI with depo

I have saved literally hundreds of patients from lumbar fusion surgery by doing ESI with depo on patients who failed ESI with dex. You and Steve are doing your patients a great disservice by never offering them lumbar ESI with depo.

Duct, you might not be seeing the best results with your procedure regardless of steroid because you and your hospital colleagues treat a disproportionate amount of medicaid and medi-medi patients, and interventions hardly ever work on that population because they need a psychiatrist much more than a pain physician.

Steve, my point regarding that facet study is that it did not disprove my point regarding IA facets on patients under 60. It didn't separate out patients into age groups and so that study doesn't disprove my theory at all. It didn't prove I was wrong, or right, it just didn't influence the argument because of how it was designed.

We could do a study comparing a blood pressure pill and the study would include an equal amount of people from 20 yrs to 90yrs old. This study would evaluate how often people became dizzy or fall while taking a full dose of the medication. The young patients have more cardiac reserve and would do better than the older sicker patients and would skew the data the researchers didn't stratify the participants by age. Similar deficiency in the facet study.

I agree that there are no good studies on stenosis, because those patients are much harder to find, stratify, and include in a study. This why steve and you stating that dex is just as good as depo is wrong, because the dex vs depo studies were performed on acute radiculopathy only, and not for stenosis which has different pathophysiology.

You can disagree with my assessment all you want, but you are mistreating your patients if you do so.
Just today I had a patient come back with a fairly common difficult to treat issue, 50 something patient with L5-S1 degenerative bulge with mild-moderate lateral recess stenosis s/p L5-S1 discectomy in distant past. Previous physician did S1 TFESI with dex x 2, patient only had relief for 2 days after each epidural, I did an S1 TFESI with depo and the patient came back to me just now because he had excellent relief for 4 months!
75% of the time I see the same results in patients with the common L4-L5 grade 1 spondylolisthesis and moderate stenosis. Patients obtains a week of relief after L5-S1 TFESI with dex, and then 5 months of relief after L5-S1 ILESI with depo

I have saved literally hundreds of patients from lumbar fusion surgery by doing ESI with depo on patients who failed ESI with dex. You and Steve are doing your patients a great disservice by never offering them lumbar ESI with depo.

Duct, you might not be seeing the best results with your procedure regardless of steroid because you and your hospital colleagues treat a disproportionate amount of medicaid and medi-medi patients, and interventions hardly ever work on that population because they need a psychiatrist much more than a pain physician.

Steve, my point regarding that facet study is that it did not disprove my point regarding IA facets on patients under 60. It didn't separate out patients into age groups and so that study doesn't disprove my theory at all. It didn't prove I was wrong, or right, it just didn't influence the argument because of how it was designed.

We could do a study comparing a blood pressure pill and the study would include an equal amount of people from 20 yrs to 90yrs old. This study would evaluate how often people became dizzy or fall while taking a full dose of the medication. The young patients have more cardiac reserve and would do better than the older sicker patients and would skew the data the researchers didn't stratify the participants by age. Similar deficiency in the facet study.
You are delusional and dangerous. But the risk of your depo causing paralysis is 1:1000000.
believing your epidural lasts 4-6 mo is problematic.

I’m available in case your 1:1000000 ever occurs.

If no pain at time of injection I do Facet loading maneuvers and document pain score. Then Facet loading after MBB prior to discharge (usually 10-15 mins after injection with 2% Lido) and document improvement (or lack of

If no pain at time of injection I do Facet loading maneuvers and document pain score. Then Facet loading after MBB prior to discharge (usually 10-15 mins after injection with 2% Lido) and document improvement (or lack of
Do you ever have cases where you suspect facets but negative provocative maneuvers/activities that you can test?

for someone who did use depomedrol in TF, I did not find any difference at all when I switched to dex with regards to pain benefit or duration. I am not willing to take the increased risk for catastrophic complication if it is something as simple as changing from a particulate to a non-particulate steroid.

I only use depo for ILESI, so those comments aren't applicable.

I agree wholeheartedly with your point about my patient population.

your final point - it is up to you to provide evidence that counteracts the prevailing consensus regarding steroids for facet syndrome. you have made a hypothesis. please study it and report back and then you can recommend it wholesale to all of us on this forum and throughout the world.

for someone who did use depomedrol in TF, I did not find any difference at all when I switched to dex with regards to pain benefit or duration. I am not willing to take the increased risk for catastrophic complication if it is something as simple as changing from a particulate to a non-particulate steroid.

I only use depo for ILESI, so those comments aren't applicable.

I agree wholeheartedly with your point about my patient population.

your final point - it is up to you to provide evidence that counteracts the prevailing consensus regarding steroids for facet syndrome. you have made a hypothesis. please study it and report back and then you can recommend it wholesale to all of us on this forum and throughout the world.
fair enough

You are delusional and dangerous. But the risk of your depo causing paralysis is 1:1000000.

delusional? maybe. not dangerous.

risk is 1 in 1000000 for TFESIs with depo in general. probably significantly lower at S1

delusional? maybe. not dangerous.

risk is 1 in 1000000 for TFESIs with depo in general. probably significantly lower at S1
Knowingly doctoring a patient and risking paralysis when an alternative is accepted as standard of care defines dangerous. This public forum gets used in more ways than our cajoling each other and sharing thoughts.

Knowingly doctoring a patient and risking paralysis when an alternative is accepted as standard of care defines dangerous. This public forum gets used in more ways than our cajoling each other and sharing thoughts.

I think standard of care is TFESI with dex first. If that doesn’t work, can consider particulate steroid. That’s according to the 2015 multidisciplinary workgroup.

Having said that, I never do a TFESI with anything other than dex. I typically pick a paramedian ILESI with particulate or TFESI with dex depending on the MRI/symptoms. If one doesn’t work, I try the other. If neither works, off to surgery. I have to admit, it’s very infrequent in my experience that if the first one doesn’t work that the other one does, so my experience is consistent with the literature that dex vs particulate is the same… I have no anecdotal evidence regarding particulate via transforaminal approach, though.

This was an interesting 2019 study of recently fellowship trained pain docs.

Variations of Technique in Transforaminal
Epidural Steroid Injections and Periprocedural
Practices by Interventional Pain Medicine
Physicians in the United States

Screenshot_20210708-200955.png

And you have a god complex

lets defer on the S1 TFESI for a moment and return to the lumbar ILESI with depo. Steve, if you aren't doing this, at least as a second injection for your patients with lumbar stenosis then you are grossly untreating your patients.

However, I just remembered that a few months ago, you posted on SDN that you don't even do ESI for stenosis, only a TFESI with dex to give then a week of relief if they have a wedding or something, which means you are grossly untreating all of your patients with stenosis, because you stick your head in the sand and quote terrible meta-analyses instead of believing your colleagues on this forum, (not just me, but most of us here), who certainly see many (not all) stenosis patients obtain 4 months of good relief after ILESI with depo, instead of only 1-2 weeks after TFESI with dex.

Really sad how many of your patients have gotten second opinions and likely ended up with lumbar fusions (or chronic opioids from PCP) because you can't put down your dogma and do a few ILESI with depo............

lets defer on the S1 TFESI for a moment and return to the lumbar ILESI with depo. Steve, if you aren't doing this, at least as a second injection for your patients with lumbar stenosis then you are grossly untreating your patients.

However, I just remembered that a few months ago, you posted on SDN that you don't even do ESI for stenosis, only a TFESI with dex to give then a week of relief if they have a wedding or something, which means you are grossly untreating all of your patients with stenosis, because you stick your head in the sand and quote terrible meta-analyses instead of believing your colleagues on this forum, (not just me, but most of us here), who certainly see many (not all) stenosis patients obtain 4 months of good relief after ILESI with depo, instead of only 1-2 weeks after TFESI with dex.

Really sad how many of your patients have gotten second opinions and likely ended up with lumbar fusions (or chronic opioids from PCP) because you can't put down your dogma and do a few ILESI with depo............

Two men enter...

Not god complex, science complex.

And I will do a second shot ILESI.

Show your 4 month data on ILESI for spinal stenosis.

Meta-analysis have a role- I try not to review them, but I like my lowly role on the EAC reviewing all of the literature. It is still more veracious then the opinions on a public/private anonymous forum.

Second opinions: You have no idea what goes on in my practice. I will recommend decompression for most, fusion almost never and not for stenosis. I have referred patients to a nearby pain doc for posterior element devices for those who are not candidates.

So they are still training them wrongly?
no... this was a survey of pain physicians listed on ACGME fellowship list and from ASIPP membership database.

did not give numbers as to % from each list. but there is most likely an influence of physicians long past fellowship.

its purpose was not to discuss what was "right", but to provide evidence that a workgroup should publish guidelines...

no... this was a survey of pain physicians listed on ACGME fellowship list and from ASIPP membership database.

did not give numbers as to % from each list. but there is most likely an influence of physicians long past fellowship.

its purpose was not to discuss what was "right", but to provide evidence that a workgroup should publish guidelines...
Correct, just a poll like we are doing here. Cannot infer reasons for preferences.

ESI doesn't work for pain from stenosis, only if radicular present. I also won't offer LESI/TFESI for stenosis except as a hail mary for those who are not surgical candidates and who are insistent on "trying everything first" Still doesn't work any better than IM/PO steroids.

Agree with Steve. Who tf is still trained to use Kenalog? That's in direct contradiction to the package insert which states do not use in epidural space.

That being said, I work with (old) people who still insist that multi-level kenalog TFESI (with no live fluoro) is the best treatment for low back pain. These people also think phenol is appropriate for "SI rhizotomy". Yes, they are also ACGME fellowship trained.

Who tf is still trained to use Kenalog? That's in direct contradiction to the package insert which states do not use in epidural space.
I see Kenalog all the time in outside procedure notes. Crazy.

For the record, I do TF with dex only.