General Admissions & OTCAS Developmental Psychology Prereq

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Travelling_OT_Hopeful

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, a few of the programs I am applying to require a developmental psychology course, often stating that is has to cover the entire lifespan! I am a Human Development minor so I have taken a ton of Human Development and Family Studies courses that cover development across the lifespan and at certain ages. I just realized today that this technically is not a psychology course so I am worried it won't fulfill that requreiment! Does anyone know if human development courses are often accepted in place of developmental psychology? Or does anyone know where the course equivalency lists are for these schools (UIC, Chatham, Temple, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current student at Chatham and I took a Human Development course that was technically a nursing course. I think schools mostly just want a class that covers the lifespan and covers psychological aspects of development. Chatham and Temple never questioned the course I took. The only trouble I had was with Winston Salem, and they just asked for a course syllabus to make sure it fulfilled their requirements. I did not apply to the other two schools so I cannot say if they will accept it. You could email admissions and ask them if the classes you took will fulfill the requirement. Also, it can't hurt to hold onto syllabi in case one of the schools asks for one. Good Luck!

You should email the University of Wisconsin to double check, but you should be fine for them. I took a lifespan development course psychology based, and then emailed them asking if a maternal and child health class (anthropology based) would work to cover the other 3 credits. They asked me to send them a syllabus, and they approved the course.

As Marie12 stated they are likely just looking for an entire lifespan to be covered, which is definitely covered by your major. Just check with each school, as they are there to answer our questions.

Did you take intro to human development? That covers lifespan. I graduated with a BS in HDFS and used that class for that prerequisite for every school.