Detroit Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docamfm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Matched at Wayne State. I was wondering if anyone could recommend areas to live in, or around Detroit.

Members don't see this ad.

docamfm said:
Matched at Wayne State. I was wondering if anyone could recommend areas to live in, or around Detroit.

The Canton/Livonia/Westland suburbs on the west side have some nice affordable housing and aren't more than a 20-30 minute drive from the DMC. Royal Oak or Ferndale northwest of downtown have some nicer housing options and aren't too far away.

If you want to commute, the big ones are:

Royal Oak
Ferndale
Grosse Pointe
St. Claire Shores

There is also some good places downtown:

Riverfront Towers
Merchants Row
Millendar Center
Layfayette Towers
(PM Thrice if interested in these, he had a website with photos awhile back)

Members don't see this ad :)
I grew up here and now live here again. When you choose somewhere to live, think about how far you are from the nearest freeway. It's the intown commute to hop on I-94, the Lodge, Southfield, I-96, or I-75 that'll get you. All of the freeways are clogged in the AM. I'd try to find a place with two viable routes into the city, because construction is ongoing and neverending, as are accidents.

I live in Allen Park, and can take I-75, I-94, or Southfield to the Lodge to get into the city. Each of these freeways are less than 3 minutes of city traffic from my house.

Most areas of Canton are going to kill you on the intown transit to the freeway.

If you have to take I-275 in the morning to get to another freeway, even for a short stretch, I'd think again about it (Plymouth, some parts of Canton or Livonia will require you to do this). Same goes for I-696.

Garden City, of the western suburbs, even though it is in the middle of the metro area, is furthest from the freeways. Don't count on Hines Drive (which I love), it is frequently closed to flooding (and they aren't kidding.)

As far as price range goes:

Cheap: Detroit, Taylor, Romulus, Inkster, Wayne, some parts of Dearborn Heights, Lincoln Park, Melvindale, Ecorse

Moderate: Westland, Garden City, Allen Park, Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Livonia

More expensive: Pretty much most of the suburbs north of 8 mile will cost more than the others that I listed. Specifically, cities with two names in the Detroit area tend to be pricier.

Some neighborhoods are worse than others, and located right next to a neighborhood that gets very little crime. Hopefully, you have a scout in the area that knows the neighborhoods, because looks can be deceiving. If you emailed me an address south of 8 mile and west of the city, I'm very familiar with that area and if I know anything about the location I can try to help you if you don't have a scout.

Doc Oc said:
I grew up here and now live here again. When you choose somewhere to live, think about how far you are from the nearest freeway. It's the intown commute to hop on I-94, the Lodge, Southfield, I-96, or I-75 that'll get you. All of the freeways are clogged in the AM. I'd try to find a place with two viable routes into the city, because construction is ongoing and neverending, as are accidents.

Two alternate routes?? Where you been? last year they decided to close 96, 94, Michigan Av, Warren, Ford Rd, hmmm...come to think of it, they maybe should have put up a sign at the border: Michigan: Closed for Construction, come back some other year.

This year, planning on closing M14, Telegraph, Southfield and Lodge.

I live in Ann Arbor. At surgery hours (generally 5:30AM), the commute is around 45-50 minutes. When there's traffic, 55-60 minutes. When they've broken all the roads, all at the same time, 1.5 hr. But, LA is worse. I live next to a park, it's safe, and convenient to 94, 14/96, 23/696 for my northern burb clinics.

Sometimes the commute is a pain, but with good tunes, it isn't bad. Likewise, if you're interested in this far out, let me know. I know the west/washtenaw county well.

Thanks to all those who provided feedback. Most people associated with Detroit seem to be in consensus that living in a suburb is usually the best bet. I have lived in Chicago, which is a great city, but there are parts of Chicago that you don't want to be walking around late at night unless you wish to become a statistic. That being said, I prefer to live in an area in which I don't have to take greater than normal precautions, such as programming "911" on all of my speed dials. And, I am willing to commute a reasonable distance (30-45 min) for such an extravagance.

Doc Oc said:
Some neighborhoods are worse than others, and located right next to a neighborhood that gets very little crime. Hopefully, you have a scout in the area that knows the neighborhoods, because looks can be deceiving. If you emailed me an address south of 8 mile and west of the city, I'm very familiar with that area and if I know anything about the location I can try to help you if you don't have a scout.

I just may take you up on your offer for assistance as I do not have a scout employed. I have noticed some great places/prices in Canton, but I will have to check commute time to the freeway as you highlighted.

spalatin said:
I live in Ann Arbor. At surgery hours (generally 5:30AM), the commute is around 45-50 minutes. When there's traffic, 55-60 minutes. When they've broken all the roads, all at the same time, 1.5 hr. But, LA is worse. I live next to a park, it's safe, and convenient to 94, 14/96, 23/696 for my northern burb clinics.

Sometimes the commute is a pain, but with good tunes, it isn't bad. Likewise, if you're interested in this far out, let me know. I know the west/washtenaw county well.

I'm keeping an open mind about Ann Arbor because of all the great things I hear about living there....however I would need an awful lot of tunes to get through all that driving for the next 4 years!

ddmo said:
There is also some good places downtown:

Riverfront Towers
Merchants Row
Millendar Center
Layfayette Towers

I checked out some of the websites corresponding to these downtown locations, and I am impressed with the bang for your buck. How is downtown Detroit living in terms of: things to do, safety, etc?

Mman said:
The Canton/Livonia/Westland suburbs on the west side have some nice affordable housing and aren't more than a 20-30 minute drive from the DMC. Royal Oak or Ferndale northwest of downtown have some nicer housing options and aren't too far away.

Ferndale came up as a desirable place to live from a couple of the residents I talked to during my interview. Another place that came up was Wyandotte...any info regarding this area?

I wouldn't necessarily shy away from downtown before giving it a good look. I've lived downtown (Lafayette Towers) throughout the 4 years of medical school and have been very happy with it.
Its a < 5 minute drive to the DMC and it's in a good neighborhood. It's a 5-10 minute walk to Greektown, 15-20 minutes to Comerica Park/Ford Field/Fox area. I haven't had any safety issues in the 4 years I've been down here, and my wife and I frequently walk downtown to restaraunts/bars/events, during the day and more often at night. Also the amount of things to do downtown and number of housing options is growing pretty rapidly right now.
Detroit has a fun downtown and I've enjoyed being so close to it throughout med school and you really can't beat the commute from here. When it snows, you'll be really thankful you aren't commuting in from the suburbs.
The biggest inconvenience is taking care of things like grocery shopping; you really have to drive like 10-15 minutes away for that.

spalatin said:
Two alternate routes?? Where you been? last year they decided to close 96, 94, Michigan Av, Warren, Ford Rd, hmmm...come to think of it, they maybe should have put up a sign at the border: Michigan: Closed for Construction, come back some other year.

This year, planning on closing M14, Telegraph, Southfield and Lodge.

LOL! Yeah, sometimes there's just no avoiding it, but if you do happen to live somewhere where you can get to the DMC in 20-30 from three routes from your house, let me know, and other people, you might get rich quick!

docamfm said:
Thanks to all those who provided feedback. Most people associated with Detroit seem to be in consensus that living in a suburb is usually the best bet. I have lived in Chicago, which is a great city, but there are parts of Chicago that you don't want to be walking around late at night unless you wish to become a statistic. That being said, I prefer to live in an area in which I don't have to take greater than normal precautions, such as programming "911" on all of my speed dials. And, I am willing to commute a reasonable distance (30-45 min) for such an extravagance.

I just may take you up on your offer for assistance as I do not have a scout employed. I have noticed some great places/prices in Canton, but I will have to check commute time to the freeway as you highlighted.

I'm keeping an open mind about Ann Arbor because of all the great things I hear about living there....however I would need an awful lot of tunes to get through all that driving for the next 4 years!

I checked out some of the websites corresponding to these downtown locations, and I am impressed with the bang for your buck. How is downtown Detroit living in terms of: things to do, safety, etc?

Ferndale came up as a desirable place to live from a couple of the residents I talked to during my interview. Another place that came up was Wyandotte...any info regarding this area?

Wyandotte is a nice little town on the river. My mom's boyfriend keeps his boat in a marina there. I'm not that familiar with it, except that you can take I-75 to get to the DMC from there. Southfied Fwy ends in Allen Park, so that wouldn't be an option. Hmmmm. Maybe someone on here has been there for more than a minute and can add more.

docamfm said:

well, i live in belleville. it is about 20 miles (20-30 mins) down 94 from wayne. It is a nice small town and I would recommend it if you don't mind the drive. However, I plan on moving downtown before 3rd year starts, when my wife is done at UM.

Belleville is right on the highway and there is a meijer, walmart, many places to eat 5 mins away. Westland is only 10 mins away, which has a lot of nice places to shop. also, there is belleville lake and beach close as well. i am originally from a very small town (5000 people) and i really like it here... just not the commute.

Before I came here I was scared of living down, but now that I have been here for ~8 months I have hung out downtown many times and I can tell you that it is not that bad... especially in areas like riverview apartments, lafeyette towers, etc. Living downtown close to the school is the way to go.

I looked at living in almost every place mentioned on this thread and found belleville to be the best that was close to ann arbor and wayne. there isn't a direct route from westland to detroit via highway (275 will suck in the morning). The apartments in romulus were trashy or they were not close to a grocery store. Canton was too far away. Inkster was trashy and scary.... but perhaps i did not see enoug hof the city.

I matched at Henry Ford and am looking to buy a house/condo. Would all of this info apply? Thanks so far for all of the help.

This mostly applies to people who want to move away from whatever they buy when they are done with residency.

Wow, do alot of research, and get something in the most desirable area possible. There has been alot of economic frustration here in the past few years, and it is only getting worse. Metro Detroit still has alot of auto workers, GM is offering buyouts now in efforts to try to cut over 30,000 jobs in the next few years, and people are just not buying houses. I know people in Livonia, Allen Park, Westland, Garden City, Canton, and Redford whose houses stayed on the market for over a year, and most of them took much less than they intended for it.

When I was looking for rentals, a great many of them were actually homes, nice homes, that the owners had been trying to sell for over a year and finally decided to rent them out. These people had already moved, and I bet their monthly bills were horrible until they found renters. I guess with all the new subdivisions going up, people tend to want to buy those instead of the typical 1940's brick ranch that abounds in this area.

Some of the new subdivisions are in S-H-A-D-Y areas, I can't believe someone would spend 200K on these houses considering the neighborhoods that they are next to. Talk about a big "ROB ME" sign on your house.

Members don't see this ad :)
docamfm said:

Dearborn, Livonia, St clair shores, harper woods, grosse pointe are all within 15-20 minutes.

Westland, canton, livonia, farmington hills, sterling heights, troy, and southfield are all around 30 mins or so.
G/L hunting.

Henry Ford is only 1-2 miles away from Wayne State so this all applies for HF too
0-10 min Downtown Detroit - It's a good safe place to rent. The only place I don't feel safe is between downtown and the suburbs. Very Scary! :scared:
15-20 minutes off of I-94 East St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe (lot of other residents live in these 2 areas cause of other nearby hosp.), Roseville (economical if buying a house)
15-20 min off I 94 West - Allen Park, Southfield
15-20 off I96 Livonia, Westland
15-20 off of I75 Royal Oak (fun place, lots of activity), Ferndale, Madison Heights (also good area to buy a house), some northern parts of Warren.
Most other places are more than 25 minutes away and usually more expensive but I have met plenty of residents that have a >30 min daily commute without traffic.

Doc Oc said:
I'd try to find a place with two viable routes into the city, because construction is ongoing and neverending, as are accidents.

Just a thought, the part of the Grosse Pointes that I am in has up to five different routes into WSU/DMC - and I have used them all at different times.

For p20s02u, I spent a few years working at HFH, and had a minimum of three routes that I would take depending on traffic, construction, etc.
On a side note there are lots of what look like nice little houses in my area with for sale signs up (not sure if that is a good thing or not)

There are some sweet lofts in Corktown too; fairly cheap, and since it's in a development zone, reduced property taxes. I found an add for a 6000 Sqft loft for $400K. 6000! you could jog in your home! :laugh:

FYI; don't you pay like 2.8% in city tax if you're a resident of the city? You still need to shell out like 1.something% if you're a nonresident working there but...

Hey guys,

This info is from last year when I moved down here, but it will give you an idea of some of the places I liked the best in Detroit.

Downtown Detroit Apartments

I signed a lease at merchants row after they gave me free parking, 2 free months of rent and free internet. Love it, the location is prime. less then 5 minute drive to school and you are with in 10 blocks of EVERYTHING. Its just to expensive as a student.

I'm now trying to close on buying a condo at riverfront. If anyone wants to rent the 2nd room, let me know.

Thrice said:
Hey guys,

This info is from last year when I moved down here, but it will give you an idea of some of the places I liked the best in Detroit.

Downtown Detroit Apartments

I signed a lease at merchants row after they gave me free parking, 2 free months of rent and free internet. Love it, the location is prime. less then 5 minute drive to school and you are with in 10 blocks of EVERYTHING. Its just to expensive as a student.

I'm now trying to close on buying a condo at riverfront. If anyone wants to rent the 2nd room, let me know.

That's great. I closed on one of Riverfront condos last year, and I love it. Close to everything, safe, great views. I would recommend to anyone looking for a nice place to live.

I'm going to start at Wayne in the fall and I am interested in living in Royal Oak. I wanted to see what your guys' thoughts were on that. Where are good places to live there? How much should I expect to pay for rent? How is life there in general as compared to living in downtown Detroit?

Also a general question-is it better to have a roommate or no? I realize it depends on the person but I just wanted to see what your experiences have been and if you guys had any thoughts on it.

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!! :)

I was thinking of staying in the houses provided by Henry Ford, atleast during the 1st year (2 min walk to hosp beats 20 min drive..atleast for late working PGY-1s).

I am pretty basic in my needs from a place to stay..Just that it should be a safe place, within (safe, obviously) bicycling distance to atleast 1-2 places where I can get everyday (food, drink, personal hygiene) provisions.. Any thoughts? Is there any scope of bicycling near the Henry Ford Hospital area? I prefer cycling than going to the Gym, and my being able to/ not being able to do so would seriously affect my housing decision.

uhoh! said:
I was thinking of staying in the houses provided by Henry Ford, atleast during the 1st year (2 min walk to hosp beats 20 min drive..atleast for late working PGY-1s).

I am pretty basic in my needs from a place to stay..Just that it should be a safe place, within (safe, obviously) bicycling distance to atleast 1-2 places where I can get everyday (food, drink, personal hygiene) provisions.. Any thoughts? Is there any scope of bicycling near the Henry Ford Hospital area? I prefer cycling than going to the Gym, and my being able to/ not being able to do so would seriously affect my housing decision.

all i know is the area very close to henry ford, i dont know where their houses are, i wouldnt walk around day or night too much..

uhoh! said:

HFH has houses? :confused:

That's news to me. I am aware of an apartment building that they have on the grounds, where some residents live, but not of any houses.

Don't recall what the retail picture is like around HFH (for "provisions") - didn't usually see how much time I could spend in the area after I clocked out.

Do seem to recall hearing of a group within the hospital that would bike around Detroit, but not sure how comfortable I would feel biking around there solo.
If spending time on a bike is that important to you then I have two words for you (especially in light of Detroit winters)... resistance trainer.

^bumping this thread back to the top

I matched in Diagnostic Radiology at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit (it's a categorical program, so I'll start my intern year over there at the end of June 2007.

I would greatly appreciate any advice about living in the Detroit area from residents or students who matched in the area.

I will most likely be renting (probably in a suburb?)

thanks

the Henry Ford Apts are pretty cheap and not even a 2 min walk to the hospital. I stayed in them as a visiting students. The area around the hospital is pretty bad.

I think the closest area I'd consider living is dearborn.

I'd consider doing that until the M-10? forgot the name is reopened. Its basically the main road/highway the runs next to teh hospital and it was recently closed for reconstruction. Without it, traffic is a headache.

the Henry Ford Apts are pretty cheap and not even a 2 min walk to the hospital. I stayed in them as a visiting students. The area around the hospital is pretty bad.

I think the closest area I'd consider living is dearborn.

I'd consider doing that until the M-10? forgot the name is reopened. Its basically the main road/highway the runs next to teh hospital and it was recently closed for reconstruction. Without it, traffic is a headache.
M10 is the lodge freeway which is closed until september. This makes living in southfield out of the question, unless you don't mind a long commute until sept. this thread gives a pretty good overview of available housing. If you want to live close, live downtown in one of the nice high risers. Some of them are expensive, but others are not that bad. If you don't mind the commute and want to be able to bike and live in a college-type town, consider the surrounding suburbs, esp royal oak.

I've narrowed down my search to a few apartments in Royal Oak, and would really appreciate any advice from people familiar with the area (please feel free to PM me).
The places that I'm planning to visit (with a realtor recommended by Henry Ford Hospital's GME office) are:
-Urbane Apartments (urbane fairmont and urbane on 13 seem reasonably priced in downtown royal oak)
-Village Park of Royal Oak
-Rochester House
-Baker Court
-Arlington Apts

thanks

i'm also a wayne student, matched at henry ford, I live in village green town homes in oak park/hunington woods. great location, 5-10 minute drive to downtown royal oak and ferndale, 15-20 minutes to downtown detroit or essentially any area in metro detroit, located @ 10 mile rd. and 696. Area safe enogh to walk, biking, next to supermarket. rent is affordable (780-890) for 2bed/1 bath, washer and dryer, quiet, only drawback is thin walls

The apartments at Ford are pretty basic. I don't think there is really all that much, in terms of provisioning, that is really all that close. The problem with biking is that if you take a left out of the hospital main gate, the area is undergoing gentrification, is relatiely safe during the day and is up and coming. If you take a right, you really want to be armed. HFH is pretty much the dividing line. The appartments are safe and there is protected parking. Some people take call from the appartments (but really aren't supposed to). They are an option, but you really do need a car.

Many people live in Royal Oak, Ferndale, Canton and Livonia. Troy has also become popular, but is a slightly longer drive and a touch more expensive. Oak Park is on the boarder of Ferndale and Royal Oak, is a little cheaper, with lower property taxes (if you decide to buy) and has the cheapest gas in the area. A few live at the Riverfront, but that can be pricey. A few live at some appartments near the Renaissance Center. That is quite a nice area with plenty of activities within safe walking distance, however basic provisions are still an issue.

M10 is the lodge freeway which is closed until september. This makes living in southfield out of the question, unless you don't mind a long commute until sept.

I'm not sure it is really that bad. 696 to 75 to the Davidson to the Lodge (it is open at the Davidson). Probably adds 5-10 minutes max.

I just found, made an offer, and finally got a place to live in Royal Oak. I found a great 2 bedrooom in walking distance from downtown Royal Oak for about 165. It's in a safe neighborhood and I'm already excited to move there!

Wow, I can't believe alot of people live in Canton and Livonia when they are going to be working downtown. From Canton, the only fast way into the city is 94, and even then it takes nearly half an hour. From Livonia, you're married to 96, and if there's construction, what is your option? It just seems like the Ferndale/Royal Oak/Oak Park area, or even the pointes is much better as far at the commute goes. Maybe the western suburb dwellers grew up there or have family there or something??

Ferndale is affordable, a cool little town, and easy commute.

Edit: I suppose from Canton you could take 275 to 96, but 275 is usually a parking lot at that interchange in the morning.

Wow, I can't believe alot of people live in Canton and Livonia when they are going to be working downtown. From Canton, the only fast way into the city is 94, and even then it takes nearly half an hour. From Livonia, you're married to 96, and if there's construction, what is your option? It just seems like the Ferndale/Royal Oak/Oak Park area, or even the pointes is much better as far at the commute goes. Maybe the western suburb dwellers grew up there or have family there or something??

Ferndale is affordable, a cool little town, and easy commute.

Edit: I suppose from Canton you could take 275 to 96, but 275 is usually a parking lot at that interchange in the morning.

i lived in belleville for first 2 years and driving 94 sucks. Heck, I can't imagine living in canton... 275 is not the best either. There is no way I would live that far away for years 3 and 4. 30 mins would bea perfect day, not during rush hour. You would probably average a 60 min drive at least on a normal day. the only way i was able to manage was streaming from home.

Moving to Housing Forum (for those who will complain about it...this is a return to the original policy of placing all ads, discussions about housing moving, roommates, etc. in the Classified Forums. So please support your fellow SDN users and check those forums from time to time so they don't feel that their threads are being ignored.)

Quaint bungalow for sale or lease

q Wood floors throughout
q Ceramic tile & granite bathrooms
q Custom Crown moldings – chair moldings in dining room
q Wood doors and trim throughout
q Leaded glass windows
q Large bay window in dining room with window seat
q French doors with antique leaded glass
q Gorgeous bathrooms with ceramic tile & granite
q Walk-in shower with multiple heads and 2-person, claw foot 2 person bathtub
q Basement provides laundry room, storage, extra office and workout area
q Sunroom with ceramic tile, French doors, leaded glass windows and breathtaking views of property
q Estate sized, private lot – almost 3/4 acre
q Mature trees
q Extra long new concrete driveway and oversized patio
q All appliances stay
q Renovations completed in 2007
q Freshly painted walls

This is the perfect home for a single person or to raise your family! The lot of almost ¾ acre is just one of the many reasons this house is so desirable! Enjoy the outdoors from your front porch, back patio or sunroom. Nothing has been spared on quality when renovating this home. New directional shingled roof, new copper plumbing, and energy saving windows. State-of-the art heating and cooling. All of this in an EXCELLENT school district known for both academics and excellence in sports. This home is beautiful, quaint and ready for you to move right in!

Call 586-675-7763 or email [email protected]

Perfect house for sharing with a room-mate, retired people, young couple, single parents, etc. Immediate Occupancy. Don't miss this beauty as well as opportunity. Option to buy as well as negotiable with just the right qualified tenant. Great house for someone that does not drive, easy access anywhere with public bus transportation. Great neighborhood, great landlords, great home. Entire house has (is) been updated, new appliances as well. Very clean, non- smoking home, would consider a small pet. Washer and dryer is in a very nice, clean basement, 1 ½ baths, 2 bedrooms main floor and one bedroom up. See Website for more details and monthly specials: http://rentroyaloak.webs.com/ :xf:

This first ground up housing constructed in Detroit in almost 30 years!!

Walking distance to Detroit Institute of Art, Detroit Public Library, Wayne State University, The Detroit Medical Center

Close to Downtown, the Casinos, Fox Theater, Ford Field, Comerica Park, Joe Louis Arena

Brand-New 1&2 Bedroom Luxury Apartment Homes from $870
-Six floor plan options ranging from 650 to 1008 square feet
All units include:
-granite countertops
-washer/dryer combos
-furnace/air conditioner
-wood flooring
-floor to ceiling windows
-one or two balconies
-loft look-exposed concrete ceiling and spiral induct work
-24-hour fitness room
-24-hour maintenance
-Attached WSU operated 950-space covered parking
-Direct controlled access to apartments from third floor of parking deck
-Visitor monitoring system

For more information on your new apartment home call: 313.316.0824 or email: [email protected]

www.studio1apartments.com