Detecting Drowning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that this is on 3 different forums for 4 days, and nothing happens, then, all of a sudden, at around the same time (well, Homunculus was ahead of the curve), 3 different mods close all the threads, saying, "see the open one in the other forum".

Late start?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an idea for an invention but I need some help. For simplicity, let us say you are on a website full of pre-meds, MS's, and residents, all of which are monitoring a thread in several forums which you cannot see. If some simpleton started to post absurdity in several forums, which SDN member would detect the simpleton first (poor grammar, foolish-sounding inventions, juvenile PMs, etc)? Secondly, which SDN member--which would detect the simpleton, but not necessarily detect it first--would turn out to be a moderator?

Also, any links to webpages, titles of books or journal articles which would pertain to this subject would be appreciated

Thank you.

;)

Apollyon said:
It's interesting that this is on 3 different forums for 4 days, and nothing happens, then, all of a sudden, at around the same time (well, Homunculus was ahead of the curve), 3 different mods close all the threads, saying, "see the open one in the other forum".

Late start?

Well, I was busy doing some end of year things and wasn't really up to speed on what was happening with all the forums until we got a "thread report" notice (they are automatically sent to all Mods), so we all acted at the same time. If we've closed them all, that's a mistake, although I'm not sure what the topic has to do with General Residency issues.

Apollyon said:
well, Homunculus was ahead of the curve

:cool:

for the most part, i let the forum mods mod their own forums. except for the poo-flinging monkey mosh-pit called the everyone forum where if left to their own devices said monkeys would discover bones make nice clubs and bludgeon each other to death. :laugh: seriously though, the everyone forum has been better lately, and there *is* a subgroup of respectful, well intentioned and generally civil posters that are stabilizing things.

Homunculus said:
...if left to their own devices said monkeys would discover bones make nice clubs and bludgeon each other to death...

Ever since I saw "2001: A Space Odyssey" as a kid, I thought it would be great to have a big animal bone for a club (beat a baseball bat any day, forgiving the pun). However, it is exceedingly difficult to get an intact cow femur; they're not really into artistic dissection in abattoirs.

With a little experimentation and some stick-to-it-iveness, one can use almost anything to bludgeon someone. Don't limit yourself!

My contributions to the bludgeoning field of research:

Human arm.
Tree branch.
Bottles.
Motorcyle.

Further studies pending.

Ref:

1) Kinetic, Journals of Battery and Blunt Assault, 2004, 2:2-5.

kinetic said:
With a little experimentation and some stick-to-it-iveness, one can use almost anything to bludgeon someone. Don't limit yourself!

My contributions to the bludgeoning field of research:

Human arm.
Tree branch.
Bottles.
Motorcyle.

Further studies pending.

Ref:

1) Kinetic, Journals of Battery and Blunt Assault, 2004, 2:2-5.

That's twice now you've made me laugh out loud like the shmuck I am. In the words of Frank Booth, "Suave! You're one suave ******!"

Screw the JBJS - I need to subscribe to the JBBA stat!

Apollyon said:
Ever since I saw "2001: A Space Odyssey" as a kid, I thought it would be great to have a big animal bone for a club (beat a baseball bat any day, forgiving the pun). However, it is exceedingly difficult to get an intact cow femur; they're not really into artistic dissection in abattoirs.

That post made me think of the scene in 2001 too. Scary!