desperately need your advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was reading up on all the negatives of RCSI and that really worries me. i was planning to apply to their new four year program that starts this september, but in order to do that i have to write the April MCAT which I have not yet studied for. But my overall gpa is really low, about 68 percent (2.4 gpa), and for this new program RCSI is only asking for a 2.2. So this school would be pretty much the only one who would take me. I'm only in my third year, so I can wait until november to apply to all the ireland schools but i'm afraid no one will take me. by the time the applications are due, in november, my gpa will only be about 70% so that's a 2.7 and if i write the august mcat my score will be about 33 (based on a practice test that i did). but if i write the april mcat i'm sure it will only be in the twenty range because its during exam time and i haven't studied for it yet. so i really don't what to do. i'm so stressed out. the reason why my gpa is so poor is not because i'm stupid but because of some personal issues i had to deal with which are now all over but my gpa is completely murdered.

Should I write the April MCAT and apply to the four year RCSI for this september? Even though I have five exams before the MCAT and I haven't studied for the MCAT at all yet? I guess it would be possible if i study insanely hard for the next two months with no social life or work.

Or should I not apply for the four year, and wait until november to apply to all the ireland schools, as well as carribean? I feel like the four year would be my only chance because my gpa is so poor. it seems like they'd pretty much take anyone who applies for this upcoming september and who can pay the high feels so i don't know if i'd be missing out on my best opportunity. american or cdn schools won't take me obviously (im cdn). the application is due in march.

what should i do? i need to act fast because i'll have to register for the april MCAT and start cramming very soon, and send in my app. in march. by not doing this, would i be missing out on my best chance? at the moment, i don't care about the money...i just want to get in and get a decent education to become a doctor. any suggestions or advice would be helpful!! thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

jessie said:
i was reading up on all the negatives of RCSI and that really worries me. i was planning to apply to their new four year program that starts this september, but in order to do that i have to write the April MCAT which I have not yet studied for. But my overall gpa is really low, about 68 percent (2.4 gpa), and for this new program RCSI is only asking for a 2.2....

The entry requirements of a "2.2" to the GEP prog at RCSI isn't a GPA, it refers to european degree grading, 2nd Class Honours 2nd Division... I'm not sure how that compares to a US GPA though...

jessie said:
But my overall gpa is really low, about 68 percent (2.4 gpa), and for this new program RCSI is only asking for a 2.2. So this school would be pretty much the only one who would take me.
Tough love homeboy.

With an academic record like that are you really sure Medicine is for you? If yopu can't keep up in undergrad, you will be left FAR behind in med school. Also, will you be able to pass your USMLEs? If not, you will have paid an absolute fortune for a degree that is not worth the price of the paper it is printed on. Also, residency programs will look at your WHOLE academic record. If they see you could barely get by at a middle of the road college, they will be suspicious of any exemplary grades coming out of Ireland.

As a practising MD, my best advice for you is to fill out an application for a job at the local muffler shop or 7-11. It sounds like you and minimum wage would be a good fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
big-gun said:
As a practising MD, my best advice for you is to fill out an application for a job at the local muffler shop or 7-11. It sounds like you and minimum wage would be a good fit.

Really, a practising MD? If you are even a high graduate I'd be surprised. Grow the f*** up.

To Jessie,

I'm not sure what a 2:2 degree equates to GPA-wise but I'd guess around a B-/C+ average (2.5). RCSI isn't your only option - there are many ways to go to medical school and more importantly become a good doctor. You do need to prove to yourself and others that you can handle the academic strain of medical school. Have you considered a postbacc program (there is a forum on this site for them, and one at Georgetown) that would allow you to take medical school classes after graduation? Also consider graduate school at a University with a medical school so you could register for Med School classes. A third option would be a summer school, BU offers one in Anatomy for medical school credit to final year undergraduates.

In the meanwhile don't stress too much. Focus on doing as well as possible in undergraduate. Can you get your GPA to around the 3.0 mark by the time you graduate? This would open lots of doors for you (graduate school, post-baccs etc). Take the MCAT when you are good and ready. If this means doing it after you graduate so be it. A year or two of research or graduate school could really make the difference and help you decide if medical school is right for you.

If I was advising you I'd say get yourself in a position where you have:

Undergrad degree with a >3.0 GPA
MCAT > 30
Graduate level and Medical School Coursework (all A's)
Postgraduate experience in Research or Healthcare

You'd then be in a position to consider many places - US DO schools, Off-shore schools, Irish Schools and many other options.

Better to be in the driving seat then playing catch-up.

Hope this helps. Make the most of undergrad and make sure you get nothing but perfect grades from now on... don't let worrying about the future distract you from the present.

Waiting4Ganong said:
A third option would be a summer school, BU offers one in Anatomy for medical school credit to final year undergraduates.
A 4th option would be to learn to count to 21 without having to take off your pants!

In reality, I think you could easily compile an application the RCSI would approve of (ie. stuff the envelope with cash and make an offer to the dean of night with your little sister with all the hash and JAck Daniels he could handle.)

big-gun said:

You're out of line with remarks like that.

Jessie, don't listen to him. You really have to get the grades up to get in, but that's the hardest part in medicine - getting in. My science degree required far more aptitude than medical school has demanded so far. So don't even think that your current grades indicate you couldn't hack it in medical school.

Anyway, I see RCSI are letting people be considered with 2H2's. That answers my question as to why they feel they can charge E40K; UK grad courses require at least a 2H1. It is looking like the course for people who have no other option. :rolleyes:

I just had a quick question...if you go to medical school in Ireland and choose to practice in the U.S., do you have the "M.D." degree after your name? Or what exactly is your title after graduating medical schoool in Ireland? Thanks!

no

You have the MBBS. its a different name meaning the same think like DO.

Mike MacKinnon said:
no

You have the MBBS. its a different name meaning the same think like DO.

My father graduated from UCC and now practices in the U.S. He is an MD (has the MD title after his name). I'm not sure what tests he had to take when we moved here, but he has the MD, not DO.

The only way to be an MD from the UK is to do the medical degree MBBS then what would be a PhD here in the USA. MBBS with PhD level training are called MD's in the UK. That is the ONLY way to get the title.

chicagoml said:
My father graduated from UCC and now practices in the U.S. He is an MD (has the MD title after his name). I'm not sure what tests he had to take when we moved here, but he has the MD, not DO.

The degree award from Irish schools is M.B. B.Ch. BAO. After receiving the right to practice in NA, you may legally place the title M.D. after your name.

Jocks said:
The degree award from Irish schools is M.B. B.Ch. BAO. After receiving the right to practice in NA, you may legally place the title M.D. after your name.

This is basically right. The state medical boards have repeatedly ruled that those holding allopathic medical degrees (MD, MBBS, BMBCh) and a valid US state license may, in patient care settings, refer to themselves as MD. This prevents patient confusion as MD and MBBS degrees are two different names for the same degree (in timing as well as content now as Auss and UK now offer 4yr graduate entry syllabus). Only the most petty of pedant would argue about nomenclature if you are talking what title goes on a clinic door or a white coat. :laugh:

In academic contexts though: papers to stuffy journals (NEJM etc), membership of professional speciality organisations, presentations at academic conferences - then you should always use the original title of your degree (The reasoning being academics should be able to recognize academic titles as equivalent without help)...

Mike:

You are right that the "MD" in the UK is a research degree only open to qualified doctors. It is not the same as a PhD however. It typically takes one to two years of full time research placing it somewhere between an MSc (1yr or less of research) and a PhD (3-4yrs research).

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't really regard it as a DO equivalent. The MBBChBAO is an allopathic degree, not an osteopathic one. And osteopathy at the moment still mean two very different things in the US and the UK/Ireland/rest of world although it is starting to change.

Hey

I guess i dont see the difference. The USA DO is equivalent to the USA MD and therefore equivalent to the MBBChBAO. The terms allopathic and osteopathic while different in philosophy, are identicle in practice.

I understand that the osteopaths in the UK are not physicians, but these arent the DO's i refer to ;)

leorl said:
I wouldn't really regard it as a DO equivalent. The MBBChBAO is an allopathic degree, not an osteopathic one. And osteopathy at the moment still mean two very different things in the US and the UK/Ireland/rest of world although it is starting to change.

MD doesn't equal DO.

DOs can't get a licence in UK for example b/c not all of their four year course concerns allopathic medicine. (this is not to say DOs can't make fine doctors - just that the content of their four year course is different to the MD course).

They aren't the same degree. Which is why DOs can't be called MD for example.

MBBS/BMBCh etc. are 100% allopathic degrees. Hence my post above.

hey w4g ;)

I did know that a USA DO could only practice in the UK with limited scope. However, I have the local allopathic and osteopathic schools curric. right in front of me and they are identicle. In fact the only difference is that the DO program requires OOM so I guess you could say they do more but certianly not less.

In anycase, i understand what your saying and i think we are on the same page.

Mike MacKinnon said:
hey w4g ;)

I did know that a USA DO could only practice in the UK with limited scope. However, I have the local allopathic and osteopathic schools curric. right in front of me and they are identicle. In fact the only difference is that the DO program requires OOM so I guess you could say they do more but certianly not less.

In anycase, i understand what your saying and i think we are on the same page.
As of 9/05 a US DO can register for unlimited practice in the UK if he/she passes the PLAB exam and completes one year of supervised training in NHS.

Blade Plate said:
As of 9/05 a US DO can register for unlimited practice in the UK if he/she passes the PLAB exam and completes one year of supervised training in NHS.

Hey - that is great news for DOs! Can you post a link to source?

RCSI grad here - matched into my first choice at a great program.

I wouldnt say that im here b/c of RCSI only - I worked really hard for this but i would say that i dont regret going to RCSI at all. It was expensive, and often disorganized and often frustrating but I guess this didnt bother me that much. I got a very good education, there is still name recognition to the irish schools (deserved or otherwise), the irish network in the US and canada is very pervasive and while I dont think ive had to use it I think it def. got me some interviews. I had a really great time in Dublin and made many friends - american, irish and otherwise who Im in contact with regularly. when i applied to go to Ireland i didnt really have the luxury or choosing between top tier american schools. I'm very glad i went to ireland and not the carribean. That would not have suited me at all (my personal thoughts - im not trying to start an argument). As for the other irish schools? not sure, i think they are fine but i think RCSI worked well for me. No regrets whatsoever.