Desperate need of advice -

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fancy312

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I please let me give you a background on this as I go into a rant on my behalf.
-I graduated in December of 2014 with a bachelors degree in biology, minor in psych, I did neuroscience research with my professor for 2 years, predental member/shadowed/volunteered and ultimately finished with a 3.2 GPA
-I applied to my in state schools Masters programs, TWICE but got wait listed, and ultimately didn't get in, including this year
-I have been a dental assistant for about a year and a half now, and it narrowed it down that I still do want to do this
-I took the DAT twice, with the first time being so awful that I know I had to retake, and unfortunately still did bad with a 17 AA ( did improve on all subjects based on my first attempt)
- I recently applied to Rutgers MBS Dental scholar program, and got in.

******* now I'm wondering, should I retake the DAT AFTER completing the Masters at Rutgers?
*OR*
******* Do I do iprepdental's 8 week course now, and retake it a third time now before starting the program, and hopefully do well,, and apply to pretty much every dental school in July when the course is done

I know that if I f*** up this third time that I will ultimately have to ask permission from the ADA to take it a 4th time, i just don't know what I should do, any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I thank anyone thats taking their time to read this and help me, thanks again everyone

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know that anyone can help you make this decision. If you are going to retake, I suggest making that your "job" if at all possible. I haven't heard any feedback on that course, but I highly recommend self-study using resources like DAT Bootcamp and DAT Destroyer. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know that anyone can help you make this decision. If you are going to retake, I suggest making that your "job" if at all possible. I haven't heard any feedback on that course, but I highly recommend self-study using resources like DAT Bootcamp and DAT Destroyer. Best of luck to you.
Hey Pearl

I actually did utilize Bootcamp and destroyer, but those were my scores. I read bootcamp litterally about 3 times in total, I dont know why I just ended up scoring horribly,

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do the Master’s and then retake the DAT. By taking the master’s program you will learn how to study more effectively and you will learn a lot of the material that are in the DAT. So take the master’s, study for the DAT for 2-3 months, then take the DAT to drastically improve your score. It worked for me! Also search “Ari’s DAT Study schedule” and follow that schedule to study.

Hey Pearl

I actually did utilize Bootcamp and destroyer, but those were my scores. I read bootcamp litterally about 3 times in total, I dont know why I just ended up scoring horribly,
what were you scoring on the practice tests on bootcamp?

I would do the Master’s and then retake the DAT. By taking the master’s program you will learn how to study more effectively and you will learn a lot of the material that are in the DAT. So take the master’s, study for the DAT for 2-3 months, then take the DAT to drastically improve your score. It worked for me! Also search “Ari’s DAT Study schedule” and follow that schedule to study.
Thank you for your reply,

I was leaning towards completing the Masters, and then retaking it for a (last) 3rd time, Its probably for the better since I won't have to ask permission after. Ugh, It just seems like I'm stuck because of such a crappy score you know?
I have a hard time making decisions as you can tell lol. Can you PM me on how your route was based on what you did? If you don't mind of course!

Hi Fancy,

Here's my story: My non-traditional journey (i hope this helps you)

After you read that, here's some advice:

Your MBS program is done in either 1 or 2 years. If you do the 1 year, my suggestion is to take the DAT after the masters is done. So this means you finish in June 2019, study for DAT (8 weeks), submit application on late July/early August.

Alternatively, you do your program in 2 years. Then you finish in June 2020 and you can study for your DAT earlier (March/April 2020) and get your DAT and Masters done around the same time to submit your application in June 2020.

Regarding the actual studying itself, the way I did it was to get some sort of material (DAT destroyer is a good one), go through 25 questions of a section (ex. biology). You check your answers and then you go through every option for each of the question and write a small note on why it was the wrong or right choice.

So heres an example:

In a eukaryotic cell, which organelle produces transport vesicles for exocytosis?

• A. Golgi Body - correct
  • B. Ribosome - protein synthesis
  • C. Mitochondria - ATP created here
  • D. Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum - protein synthesis
  • E. Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum - lipid synthesis

I know it sucks but bottom line is that if you are going to push hard for this, then you need to do things the hard way. And the hard way is a slow and arduous climb to the top.

I would also like to note that it is imperative that you get as close to a 4.0 as possible in your Master's. This will give you the best shot if your DAT falls short.

Hi Fancy,

Here's my story: My non-traditional journey (i hope this helps you)

After you read that, here's some advice:

Your MBS program is done in either 1 or 2 years. If you do the 1 year, my suggestion is to take the DAT after the masters is done. So this means you finish in June 2019, study for DAT (8 weeks), submit application on late July/early August.

Alternatively, you do your program in 2 years. Then you finish in June 2020 and you can study for your DAT earlier (March/April 2020) and get your DAT and Masters done around the same time to submit your application in June 2020.

Regarding the actual studying itself, the way I did it was to get some sort of material (DAT destroyer is a good one), go through 25 questions of a section (ex. biology). You check your answers and then you go through every option for each of the question and write a small note on why it was the wrong or right choice.

So heres an example:

In a eukaryotic cell, which organelle produces transport vesicles for exocytosis?

• A. Golgi Body - correct
  • B. Ribosome - protein synthesis
  • C. Mitochondria - ATP created here
  • D. Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum - protein synthesis
  • E. Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum - lipid synthesis

I know it sucks but bottom line is that if you are going to push hard for this, then you need to do things the hard way. And the hard way is a slow and arduous climb to the top.

I would also like to note that it is imperative that you get as close to a 4.0 as possible in your Master's. This will give you the best shot if your DAT falls short.

I was legit JUST reading your post on how you went into detail and, I actually ended up thinking about myself and started to cry. I'm just a saap, and lately have been hard on myself. I essentially would like to complete it in 1 year, since I would be coming in from out of state. Or should I even differ my masters to get pushed back into a spring semester to finish by the spring??? ( why are more options popping up so I can make another decision :cryi: Thank you again for taking the time to reply

My average was a 16 in GC/19 BIO/ 17 PAT/ 17 OC/ 20 RC/ didn't really study math

hating life rn

before you decide to take the DAT again, definitely make sure you're scoring atleast around a 20 on the science sections of practice tests. so if you do decide to do the iprepdental course, make sure your scores are improving and you're scoring high on the tests before you sign up to take the DAT. otherwise, just wait until after you complete your masters program to take the test.

I don't have much to offer on this topic, but I will say that when you retake the DAT I really recommend iPrep!

Do not take the DAT if you are not doing well on the practice tests. Your current study methods are not working for you. Keep experimenting until you find one that gets you results. I personally made use of Bootcamp's breakdown function, which showed me the areas I was lacking in. I kept tackling problems in those sections over and over again until I was doing well on practice tests.

Take a lot of practice tests in a simulated environment. For this something like qvault would be great (bootcamp is good too but you are probably too familiar with the questions by now). Once you start feeling comfortable with the practice tests, you are ready.

Do not rush the next attempt. When I first signed up for the DAT, I studied for a few months but I was not ready so I postponed it. I was still not ready when my six months were up. I had a choice to forfeit my fees or just take the test. I chose the former, studied for a few more months and ended up doing pretty well.

You can do it. Don't give up.

Last edited:
you should probably figure out what works best for you. following the study guide will not help if you need to establish your foundations in each section, since it is really just reviewing what you've already learned from the pre-req classes. also, using bootcamp and destroyer won't necessarily guarantee the high scores if you're not using them effectively. you should figure out why they are or are not working for you, and proceed from there.

Do not take the DAT if you are not doing well on the practice tests. Your current study methods are not working for you. Keep experimenting until you find one that gets you results. I personally made use of Bootcamp's breakdown function, which showed me the areas I was lacking in. I kept tackling problems in those sections over and over again until I was doing well on practice tests.

Take a lot of practice tests in a simulated environment. For this something like qvault would be great (bootcamp is good too but you are probably too familuar with the questions by now). Once you start feeling comfortable with the practice tests, you are ready.

Do not rush the next attempt. When I first signed up for the DAT, I studied for a few months but I was not ready so I postponed it. I was still not ready when my six months were up. I had a choice to forfeit my fees or just take the test. I chose the former, studied for a few more months and ended up doing pretty well.

You can do it. Don't give up.

Thank you for your genuine reply, it means a lot.
I ultimately decided that the Masters--- more importantly doing well** in the Masters can help me in terms of preparing me and setting me apart from others that also apply, I just didn't want to drop 40k on something that I kept thinking was risky you know. The dentist I work with pushed me to apply for it since she also did the Masters and ultimately got in after. I'm gonna try after I complete the year there, do the 8 week online course, as well as qvault/ destroyer/ and take it one last 3rd time, and won't take it until I'm scoring at least 20's across practice tests. I feel so old!

Tbh I don’t think you need the masters if you can raise your dat score to 21+. Other sections may have some exceptions, but I can safely assume that having under 18 in science sections really make the adcom question your ability to handle dental school. I would definitely work hard to improve the dat score.

If I were in your shoe I would do my best to get my dat score up and instead of going to the masters I would build my work, shadowing, and community outreach experiences

Last edited:
Tbh I don’t think you need the masters if you can raise your dat score to 21+. Other sections may have some exceptions, but I can safely assume that having under 18 in science sections really make the adcom question your ability to handle dental school. I would definitely work hard to improve the dat score.

If I were in your shoe I would do my best to get my dat score up and instead of going to the masters I would build my work, shadowing, and community outreach experiences
I honestly feel like I DID build up my work within those years, I have dental shadowing and volunteer hours, as well as being a dental assistant for a year and a half now. With that being said, I feel like if I do the Masters program, it can help me show admissions that I can handle the workload, possibly do the oral biology concentration, and ultimately do better on my DAT after I complete the program. I'm just feeling stuck because I still wish that I got into a Masters in my home state and not have to move and what not for a year. Idk man ..

I honestly feel like I DID build up my work within those years, I have dental shadowing and volunteer hours, community service at my local library, as well as being a dental assistant for a year and a half now. With that being said, I feel like if I do the Masters program, it can help me show admissions that I can handle the workload, possibly do the oral biology concentration, and ultimately do better on my DAT after I complete the program. I'm just feeling stuck because I still wish that I got into a Masters in my home state and not have to move and what not for a year. Idk man ..
I feel like the only thing I haven't done yet was go abroad and help with dental stuff like in Peru/Panama/Dom.Rep/Cambodia,

I highly recommend iPrep if you have the money. I got a 23aa/24ts doing it and I know plenty of students that got 22+. Totally worth the investment!!!

I advise taking a hard look at WHY you scored so poorly the first two times. Is it lack of time to prepare? Not knowing what to study for? Bad at memorizing? Not spending time to really review all the materials you need to? Are you unable to self-study and need hand holding? I don't know anything about iprepdental (it looks promising) but in my experience test prep classes simply review the material with you-- you still need to devote extra time to actually learn the content.

In addition, self-studying is necessary to get through dental school, so if you're struggling with DAT prep I would try to improve your studying skills.

Did you have an upward trend in undergrad? If you did, you can skip doing a Masters which would save you money. If not, a masters program would definitely help with your application and the DAT. Personally, I feel that my masters program really forced me to mature as a student and develop the skills necessary to succeed in dental school. These skills (studying style, time management etc.) helped me improve on my DAT too. So yes, it is a financial gamble but it's better than wasting an entire year without any improvement that you think you can do on your own.
My last semester ended up being a 3.5 during my undergrad, and that was with research and shadowing. With that being said in 2014, I feel like maybe I do need the masters to show schools that I can continue to do well, especially in grad classes along with other dental/med students. Ugh, I just feel like i WOULD have a better chance with the masters, and if I don't then I am pretty much risking it with applying this June and winding up with 0 interviews along with rejections. I am soooo confused on what to do