Desperate for help on the DAT Biology section. Which is a more efficient way of studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simbalion92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not one that studies well by just reading. I find that I learn better by just doing questions. Should I just skip reviewing for biology and use DAT Destroyer as more of a study tool and make flashcards for all DAT Destroyer biology questions and just study them everyday leading up the exam?

Would anyone recommend this?

Members don't see this ad.

Rereading sections multiple times in short periods of times is how I studied for the DAT and how I study for all my bio courses. What I did for DAT was: read chapter of cliffs, move onto a different subject (i.e. ochem, or something else), come back to feralis notes and read the corresponding chapter. Next day repeat, I did this until I instinctively skimmed lines because I already knew what they were. Then I moved on to the next chapter. I always reread previous chapters every few days. Focusing on subjects I was less familiar with.

Have you tried making questions on flashcards based on the reading? I think Destroyer is a good way to learn, although there are some more basic material in the notes that you may not learn from Destroyer. It has a lot of detailed questions and the bio sections is more breadth over depth.

Start doing destroyer and bootcamp exams. Read the explanations for all questions and if something doesn't make sense review the notes. You'll learn more this as opposed to constant reading because you learn from your mistakes. Do this assuming you have a decent background, obviously you need to do some reading before doing questions to build the knowledge base.

Idk but I can tell you what's has helped me tremendously. I first went through and wrote detailed note from Datbootcamp's biology notes. They are pretty colorful and a lot easier to read than Feralis notes in my opinion. After that, I went straight to biology destroyer. Its like 650 questions long and I only did 450 due to time but they are really helpful in covering a lot of info that might show in the DAT. My test is about 8 days away and I have already made BIG improvements. I went from averaging 15-17 on my first biology section BC exams to getting back to back 19's on my last exams. I also would write notes on top of my existing notes for every word or concept I did not understand. When you do destroyer look at the other answer choices to understand why they are wrong/ right. Google/Youtube information that you don't know and use the search tab in the DC bootcamp document to quickly find the info you are looking for. After I did that, I went through each of my completed BC and Datqvault bio exams and wrote notes from there as well. It might seem like a little overkill but the more info I come across the better I feel. My biology spiral is LOADED with tidbits that I have collected along the way. Every page is covered with stuff that I missed or previously did not know. I review my biology spiral (which now is about 50 pages long every night before I go to bed).