Des Moines University vs. Chicago COM at Midwestern University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted866049

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, both are great schools and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. If tuition wasn't a factor, I would probably go with CCOM. I'm under the impression that CCOM's rotation sites >> DMU's rotation sites. However... because $20k per year is a significant difference, and once you throw interest into the mix... I would refrain from CCOM and pick DMU (assuming you are ok living away from the SO).

Reactions: 1 users
I graduated from CCOM in 2009. They had a few labs on campus. I think those were the only research opportunities. We had somewhat reliable rotations at St. James Olympia Fields and Swedish Covenant hospital. Still had to compete a bit for rotation spots among students. More of an outsider at Stroger Cook county hospital. It's not worth $80,000 more total. I paid about $50,000 a year back then and that was too high for me. This is a bit before the new schools and bigger class sizes. Similar match outcomes at the time. If you are convinced you will do a residency at St. James Olympia Fields or Swedish Covenant hospital, then maybe choose CCOM. Dude, go to DMU.

Honestly, both are great schools and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. If tuition wasn't a factor, I would probably go with CCOM. I'm under the impression that CCOM's rotation sites >> DMU's rotation sites. However... because $20k per year is a significant difference, and once you throw interest into the mix... I would refrain from CCOM and pick DMU (assuming you are ok living away from the SO).
Honestly they arent THAT much better...just because theyre at a big city doesn't mean they're automatically better by any means. That's the common thread on SDN though. I was between the two of them too, went to DMU mostly because of cost but also I didn't feel that being 7th in line behind the MD schools in the area provided as much opportunity. There's only 2 medical schools in the state of Iowa so competition is far far less for good spots and opportunities. Plus, University of Iowa has their own stuff in IC, so that leaves the rest of the state for us.

The caveat being that outside of DSM it is pretty rural pretty quick...if you aren't from the midwest its a culture shock. Overall, wouldnt change my decision at all

Members don't see this ad :)