Derm's scope of practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JudoKing01

MS1 in 2 1/2 mos
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now I already know people are going to think I'm an idiot for asking this, but remember, I'm just starting med school and don't know as much as you guys/gals. I heard that dermatologists can do like superficial soft tissue surgery and cosmetic procedures (e.g., lipo, abdplasty). Is this true or are these docs just the percentage of docs overstepping their boundries a bit?

Members don't see this ad.

if they are doing lipo and abdominoplasty, they are definitely overstepping their boundaries. that work is the purview of plastic surgeons.

That's what I thought. Thanks for not reaming me a new one for that Q.

Members don't see this ad :)
doc05 said:
if they are doing lipo and abdominoplasty, they are definitely overstepping their boundaries. that work is the purview of plastic surgeons.

Lipo was actually invented by a dermatologist and is not that hard, however I agree that a tummy tuck should be done by plastics and not by an average derm.

What about like skin surgeries other than mole exc. or Moh's? Do they remove cysts, scar revisions, lipomas, etc?