Dermatology Residency Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many derm programs did you apply to?

• 1 to 10

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • 10 to 20

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • 20 to 60

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • over 60

Votes: 43 66.2%

• Total voters

drdan766

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to start this thread for people to post their views on Derm residencies. It would be nice to hear:

1) advice of any kind that an applicant has gotten from an advisor, and then how it worked out for them

2) about experiences with derm interviews

3) about experiences with derm away rotations

4) about interview invite predictions, not dates ( ex. = you think a program has no spots to offer this year because you worked in their lab and know it is promised to someone already)

5) Program strengths and weaknesses as seen on away rotations/interviews/home rotations

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Am I the only person who applied to under 20 programs? Surely there are others.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only person who applied to under 20 programs? Surely there are others.....

Not what I'd do. I put out a few over 80, got about a 20% return rate on invites...and only about half of the invites were from places I'd expect. Region didn't play a huge part either...CA to FL to VT...I was all over the place.

It only takes one though.

Not what I'd do. I put out a few over 80, got about a 20% return rate on invites...and only about half of the invites were from places I'd expect. Region didn't play a huge part either...CA to FL to VT...I was all over the place.

It only takes one though.

I applied to 108....

I only applied to your mom's house and I matched. But they really liked me when I rotated there.

anyways. . . .

interesting to see other people applied to over 100 derm residencies like i did
I hope for even 10% return on that

won't be long now before interviews and rejections come tumbling in. . .

post your advice and experiences!

anyways. . . .

interesting to see other people applied to over 100 derm residencies like i did
I hope for even 10% return on that

won't be long now before interviews and rejections come tumbling in. . .

post your advice and experiences!
Yeah, I'd be thrilled at that:laugh:

i think anyone who expects any interviews in derm at all is kidding themselves. Derm is very competitive, but I guess I hope I am wrong.

Depends on your application and how strong your application really is (not how strong you think it is). Some people truly don't need to apply to more than 20 but you'd better be damn sure that's how you want to go...

People that are research heavy will have the luxury of needing to apply to less programs...

Depends on your application and how strong your application really is (not how strong you think it is). Some people truly don't need to apply to more than 20 but you'd better be damn sure that's how you want to go...

People that are research heavy will have the luxury of needing to apply to less programs...
well, I certainly hope that's true :scared:

I don't think research gets you in as easily as you seem to think. The average applicant has been published multiple times. I assume everyone has at least published.

I still think to expect anything in derm = rose-colored glasses

In my mind, the only sure thing in derm is the program director from your home institution telling you so. Connections go a long way.

But stats, come on. stats are a pre-requisite to being able to merely apply.

I hope I am wrong and all of us just get crazy bundles of interviews. . . . . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think research gets you in as easily as you seem to think. The average applicant has been published multiple times. I assume everyone has at least published.

In my mind, the only sure thing in derm is the program director from your home institution telling you so. Connections go a long way.

I hope I am wrong and all of us just get crazy bundles of interviews. . . . . . .

I think you're a tad on the jaded side, but what you say about connections going a long way is about as spot on as it can get.

Agreed that connections are king...no doubt about it.

Research is not research is not research. It's one thing if you have research and published a few reviews/case reports/etc. Even if your pub count is up to 10 or a little above that. It's a whole different ballgame if you have published 1st author basic science paper, have presented oral presentations at conferences (helps to make connections), and have a total publication count that is near 30-40 when you include ALL publications (original manuscripts especially 1st author, chapters, case reports, reviews, abstracts, presentations). There are not too many applicants like this but the ones that are like this typically have great connections since they have been so productive. It's this rare group that can feel pretty confident about applying to a reduced number. These applicants are not that crazy to apply to a reduced number either...people in this group get like a 30-50% interview rate...I've known a few personally but it's rare. These people are pretty much a lock to match...and yes such a thing exists in derm. That's why starting your planning early is such an advantage but there is a lot of execution involved too.

Of course there will be others that apply to a limited number for familial reasons and will take the decreased chances to match...

people with 30+ 1st author, legit publications were either in a fellowship, have a PhD or have low quality pubs. Over 5 pubs/year during med school is low quality. should have just done one really great one.

PhD and fellowship are no guarantee. You are now competing against all the fellows that apply this year, but ya, you might be able to apply to only 20 programs. Still, I would have applied to at least 40 even with PhD or fellowship. I mean, that is where you decided to limit yourself, after ALL THOSE PUBS!! you decided there were only 20 derm residencies that you could live with?

I dunno, a 30+ pub person strikes me as someone who, i dunno, is an overachiever. You think they are done trying right BEFORE they get into derm?

I guess they exist . . . .

Agreed that connections are king...no doubt about it.

Research is not research is not research. It's one thing if you have research and published a few reviews/case reports/etc. Even if your pub count is up to 10 or a little above that. It's a whole different ballgame if you have published 1st author basic science paper, have presented oral presentations at conferences (helps to make connections), and have a total publication count that is near 30-40 when you include ALL publications (original manuscripts especially 1st author, chapters, case reports, reviews, abstracts, presentations). There are not too many applicants like this but the ones that are like this typically have great connections since they have been so productive. It's this rare group that can feel pretty confident about applying to a reduced number. These applicants are not that crazy to apply to a reduced number either...people in this group get like a 30-50% interview rate...I've known a few personally but it's rare. These people are pretty much a lock to match...and yes such a thing exists in derm. That's why starting your planning early is such an advantage but there is a lot of execution involved too.

Of course there will be others that apply to a limited number for familial reasons and will take the decreased chances to match...

I was one of those applicants (about 20+ publications, 8 first author [6 peer-reviewed basic science and clinical, 2 book chapters], 3 first author abstracts, 3 presentations (oral) at national meetings, including SID, 2 first place awards for my research at regional (state derm. association) and institutional meetings) and still applied to 108 programs...Total interviews ~8, some of which I didn't expect. I mean...seriously...you're only going to apply to 20 programs after spending all this time and hard work trying to get into derm? If you don't match, you're losing ~$280,000/year (attending) - ~$50,000 (pay as a fellow/PGY) = ~ net $230,000 of "lost income" every year you aren't matched. Plus, consider that if you don't match, it's harder to match the second time around (most places that interviewed you the first time around won't consider interviewing you again). An extra $2000 to apply to all the programs is a drop in the bucket. Let me point you to this article...the two med. students from Harvard "only" matched at Mayo (in the Midwest, which is a good program but probably not where these East and West Coasters wanted to end up):

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/19/fashion/19beauty.html?pagewanted=all

Moral of the story: you never know...are you a good gambler?

Last edited:

yeah, but published what? Anyone can publish... Is it throw away case reports in online journals or substantial basic science research in derm? Hopefully the decision makers in the field know and appreciate difference.

yeah, but published what? Anyone can publish... Is it throw away case reports in online journals or substantial basic science research in derm? Hopefully the decision makers in the field know and appreciate difference.

i published in JAAD, BrJD, Archives, and a few basic science publications in decent journals (impact factor 4+)...all first author or co-first author...dunno about the others...

I was just saying that most people who think ANYTHING is a probability in the derm match is fooling themselves. I think it is standard practice to apply BROADLY because it really is that hard to get in. Publications are great. However, at the end of the day, they want a good resident and a future great colleague.

To be perfectly fair, a part of starting this thread was my own insecurity that I was the only idiot who applied to over 100 schools. I am happy/terrified that most have a similar strategy.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL. PLEASE GIVE ADVICE ONCE YOU HAVE INTERVIEWS!!

i published in JAAD, BrJD, Archives, and a few basic science publications in decent journals (impact factor 4+)...all first author or co-first author...dunno about the others...
:bow:

I was just saying that most people who think ANYTHING is a probability in the derm match is fooling themselves. I think it is standard practice to apply BROADLY because it really is that hard to get in. Publications are great. However, at the end of the day, they want a good resident and a future great colleague.

To be perfectly fair, a part of starting this thread was my own insecurity that I was the only idiot who applied to over 100 schools. I am happy/terrified that most have a similar strategy.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL. PLEASE GIVE ADVICE ONCE YOU HAVE INTERVIEWS!!

Yes you are def in the norm as far as # of derm programs applied to. The only reason I applied to so few is that A-I have a great relationship with my top tier home derm program, B-there are only a couple of people in my class applying derm and C-I have absolutely no desire to leave the city I'm in for med school. Yes I'm taking a small gamble but I feel very good about my relationship with my home program.
I must admit though I still have a bit of anxiety when I see a program that I applied to but didn't get an interview. But I just need to have a little faith that it will all work out in the end =)

aLong message and skip it if you don't care:

Guys, I'm not advocating applying to only 20 (there is no way I would have done that) but there are people that have high scores and a lot of pubs (which can be high quality). I had over 30 pubs total with multiple 1st author papers in basic science with two in journals that had a higher impact (10+ and 7+) than JID and one in the JID (all as a medical student) and I applied to approximately 60 programs and had a 50% interview rate (~30 interview offers). My highest impact publication was done by the end of 2nd year of med school. My boards were 250+, I honored everything, was AOA, and had very strong letters (told so at almost every place I interviewed). There was no way that I would have applied to only 20 but I wasn't going to apply to all 108 either. I got interviews at 17 of my 20 top preferences (with every interview from every west coast program that I applied to except one) if I had applied to 20....now that is hindsight but I just want to let you know that in the right setting it's not as ludicrous as you might think. It would never be my advice to only apply to 20, but I can see why some people will be fine doing this (although applying to only 20 would have been very unsettling for me).

I wasn't overconfident and ran my application by multiple trusted people and I made my decisions accordingly. There was very little gambling there. No one wants to go through this ridiculous process twice if you can help it...I sure as hell didn't.

As an aside, one of the advantages of a PhD is that the research pub count tends to go up. I don't think a PhD in a vacuum would ever get that many invites if they don't have a good pub record. High scores obviously help but safe to say that the PhD allows for lower scores in the screening process if the pub record is impressive.

To the OP, clearly you were not an idiot by any means to apply to over 100. It's quite common and the right thing to do in many cases as you've heard here.

Also, I knew the two that went to the Mayo from Harvard and they were pretty thrilled with the match for one...for two, I know a few people that ranked Mayo #1 WHO WERE FROM THE COASTS. I thought the Mayo was one of the strongest clinical programs in the country and was impressed during my interview there. I ranked it over many CA programs and over "top flight" east coast programs such as Harvard/Yale. One of my favorite favorite programs is Colorado and so the landlocked areas in the US have some amazing programs.

And to answer the question of whether people know the difference between quality and quantity of pubs. We all want to believe that its quality but a lot of places simply count pubs (not all though and some programs are quite thoughtful about it). Sorry if that's not what you want to hear. Also, they get enamored by big pubs even if the person is buried in the authorship ladder. I've heard faculty talk about how so and so had an authorship in Science, and when I look it's a 4th authorship. In my opinion a 1st author in JID or a good basic science study in the Archives/BJD shows way more drive than a 4th author in Science but many don't see things the same way.

Last edited:
Yes you are def in the norm as far as # of derm programs applied to. The only reason I applied to so few is that A-I have a great relationship with my top tier home derm program, B-there are only a couple of people in my class applying derm and C-I have absolutely no desire to leave the city I'm in for med school. Yes I'm taking a small gamble but I feel very good about my relationship with my home program.
I must admit though I still have a bit of anxiety when I see a program that I applied to but didn't get an interview. But I just need to have a little faith that it will all work out in the end =)
Just curious, if you have a good relationship with your home program and few/no other people applying for derm, does that mean you are in pretty good shape?

I'd like to think that but I realize it's a dangerous assumption as these people don't owe us anything?

Just curious, if you have a good relationship with your home program and few/no other people applying for derm, does that mean you are in pretty good shape?

I'd like to think that but I realize it's a dangerous assumption as these people don't owe us anything?

I honestly don't know at this point. I made the decision to not apply really broadly back in August, but now I'm having some doubts about my decision.
Specifically, a couple of programs in my hope state which I applied to-I saw where people had gotten invitations to interview there, and I didn't get an interview. I know you can't expect most places to give you an interview, but I've lived in my home state all my life (including college and medical school) so I thought I would likely get an interview at least at most of my home state programs.
I made this decision based on what I perceived my strength as an applicant was (269 step, AOA at top tier med school, 10 submissions/posters/publications/pending submissions all very minor things but derm, great evals etc.) combined with a few other factors; however as I'm looking through old forums I seem to have overestimated the % of interviews you can expect based on students with similar statistics.

Oh well though, nothing much to do about it now except hope for a good outcome. :xf:

Damn . . . .

I would really like to get an interview. . . . .

Damn.

Damn . . . .

I would really like to get an interview. . . . .

Damn.

Keep your head up. The vast majority of programs have not started sending out interview invitations yet, and many will not until mid-December even.

But I agree that this whole process is annoying and frustrating and nerve-wracking.

I applied to 20 programs exactly. I went over the list of possible institutions with my husband and there were only 20 programs in places he could live. I knew it was a gamble and my Dean told me to apply to 20-40 programs (likely meaning more on the 40 end). I was hoping for a 50% return on interviews, but it sounds like reading this board that, that might be rare.

I have stellar qualifications, but so does everyone applying in Derm. I just hope my qualifications can get me an interview because then I can convey my passion. We'll see what happens. Very qualified people don't match and seemingly unqualified people can match, so it's hard to put too much stock in individual stories. I wouldn't freak out just yet about only applying to 20. Like they said, you only really need one if its the right one. :)

Keep your head up. The vast majority of programs have not started sending out interview invitations yet, and many will not until mid-December even.

But I agree that this whole process is annoying and frustrating and nerve-wracking.

Do any of you know if most programs send out "waves" of interviews? For example, if someone listed an interview invitation on the interview thread does this mean that most interviews have been given? Or does this mean that the first of, say, 5 "waves" have been sent out? I know that most interviews are given out after thanksgiving but this process if making me neurotic. I really was hoping to be invited to programs that have already been listed as sending out invites.

Going over the interview list on the other thread, by right now, I would be sitting with zero interviews at this stage. In fact, my first interview did not come out until the week prior to Thanksgiving.

It's a waiting game and the bulk come out in the second half of Nov and all through Dec.

Going over the interview list on the other thread, by right now, I would be sitting with zero interviews at this stage. In fact, my first interview did not come out until the week prior to Thanksgiving.

It's a waiting game and the bulk come out in the second half of Nov and all through Dec.

Just curious dermathalon, do you mind sharing how many you ended up with? I am hoping for the golden number.

Do any of you know if most programs send out "waves" of interviews? For example, if someone listed an interview invitation on the interview thread does this mean that most interviews have been given? Or does this mean that the first of, say, 5 "waves" have been sent out? I know that most interviews are given out after thanksgiving but this process if making me neurotic. I really was hoping to be invited to programs that have already been listed as sending out invites.

I was under the impression that initial interview offers were the only offers, unless those invited decline the interview. then it seems that a few more spots might be available.

I was under the impression that initial interview offers were the only offers, unless those invited decline the interview. then it seems that a few more spots might be available.

I was also under this impression and judging from the lack of multiple invite dates on last year's list I would say this is correct. Unfortunate, because I also was hoping for interviews from any of a good number of the programs that have sent out already. But then again there are over 10 from my school applying to derm this year so I think I'll be lucky if I get any interviews at all.

I was also under this impression and judging from the lack of multiple invite dates on last year's list I would say this is correct. Unfortunate, because I also was hoping for interviews from any of a good number of the programs that have sent out already. But then again there are over 10 from my school applying to derm this year so I think I'll be lucky if I get any interviews at all.
:eek: holy crap! good luck! good luck everyone!

Well Scott and White/Texas A&M sent email invitations out on 11/2 which I did not receive. They sent snail mail rejections out shortly after.
Today (11/8) I received a snail mail with an interview invitation written on 11/4.
So it seems like at least some programs do send out invitations on different dates and by different modalities.

To think I almost threw the envelope away without opening it because I assumed it was a rejection!

Same, would have only had one at this point. Ended up with 20 offers in the end...most end of Nov, beginning of Dec.

Same, would have only had one at this point. Ended up with 20 offers in the end...most end of Nov, beginning of Dec.

Wow thanks Dral and dermathalon, that makes me feel a whole lot better.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many interviews should be practically accepted? Should you just accept as many as possible?

I know it is a great problem to have, and it is not a problem yet, but I am just curious if there is some sort of strategy to this. can you email a program to find out where you stand?

Does anyone know how many interviews should be practically accepted? Should you just accept as many as possible?

I know it is a great problem to have, and it is not a problem yet, but I am just curious if there is some sort of strategy to this. can you email a program to find out where you stand?

We are interviewing one applicant for a derm research fellowship. She had 14 interviews and didn't match.

yeah but having no interviews scares me even more because then you definitely won't match.

We are interviewing one applicant for a derm research fellowship. She had 14 interviews and didn't match.

The process is not perfect and this candidate is unfortunately a good example of this.

When accepting interviews, you should accept every one that you can go to. Your reasons for not going on an interview should not be that "I have enough" unless you acknowledge the risk of not matching before not accepting an interview offer. Scheduling conflicts are wholly another issue and there's not much you can do about that.

Actually, there is a strategy for programs regarding interviewing early vs late. Those that interview early (November/December) are minimizing potential scheduling conflicts so that most of those that are offered interviews will show up. However, the drawback is that these people may not be as serious about coming to the program as they may just be coming because they could make it. Later interviews (Jan) means that there will be more scheduling conflicts and more people will be drawn off the waitlist. On the other hand, the people that show up to these interviews may have had to cancel another interview and are more likely to be serious about the program. Don't worry, most programs still rank based on who they liked overall and not on what day you showed up. That said, by putting a date into Jan, they increase the chance that they will interview people that are more interested in their program. You may notice this on some of the program interviews in that they have one dec date and then one Jan date. Some programs want to get all of their interviews out of the way and get it done early but they will tend to go down farther on their rank list in a purely random environment (but we all know by know that while this process is random, its definitely not purely random since connections matter).

From an applicant perspective, put in as many interviews as you can and fit them in however you can so that you can maximize your interviews.

Last edited:

According to the NRMP Match Data 2011, here are the stats for US Seniors' number of ranks and matched/unmatched (for re-applicants or IMGs, it's obviously a different story):

1 program ranked: 13 matched, 22 unmatched
2: 11, 20
3: 14, 13
4: 21, 9
5: 26, 5
6: 15, 4
7: 25, 2
8: 24, 2
9: 22, 1
10: 30, 0
11: 22, 1
12: 14, 1
13: 13, 0
14: 11, 0
15: 15, 0
16+: 31, 0

I put this in here to dispel all these myths (for the most part) of "all these people" with tons of interviews that don't match. In doing aways, I've probably heard of 6-7 of these stories already of a friend-of-a-friend getting x interviews and not matching. The fact is that the statistics simply don't back it up. Sure, it happens (rarely), but on the whole, if you get 10 or more interviews, 136 match and 2 do not match. Unless I'm somehow reading the match data wrong. Please correct me if I am.

I'm writing this so maybe we can all rest a little easier at night. By stats, even if you only get 3 interviews, over half of those people will match. And you may even be able to increase those odds if one or more of those were away rotations where you felt you stood out.

Good luck, everyone!

According to the NRMP Match Data 2011, here are the stats for US Seniors' number of ranks and matched/unmatched (for re-applicants or IMGs, it's obviously a different story):

I put this in here to dispel all these myths (for the most part) of "all these people" with tons of interviews that don't match. In doing aways, I've probably heard of 6-7 of these stories already of a friend-of-a-friend getting x interviews and not matching. The fact is that the statistics simply don't back it up. Sure, it happens (rarely), but on the whole, if you get 10 or more interviews, 136 match and 2 do not match. Unless I'm somehow reading the match data wrong. Please correct me if I am.

I'm writing this so maybe we can all rest a little easier at night. By stats, even if you only get 3 interviews, over half of those people will match. And you may even be able to increase those odds if one or more of those were away rotations where you felt you stood out.

Good luck, everyone!

The best post ever! Now, I can go to sleep at night. :thumbup:

Good luck, everyone!

Mind digging up the link to this? thanks. :)

Good luck, everyone!

You are kind of reading this wrong. I believe that data is from the contiguous ranks table. Not just straight up number of total derm interviews (or ranks, assuming we all rank every place we interview).

So let's say someone has this rank list:
Derm program A
Derm program B
Derm program C
Radiology program A
Derm program D
Derm program E
Derm program F
Radiology program B
Derm program G
Derm program H
Derm program I
Radiology program C
Derm program J
Derm program K
Derm program L

Now let's say that the person who submitted this rank list didn't match. They only ever ranked 3 contiguous Derm programs. So on the NRMP data chart, they show up under '3' which I believe you are falsely assuming as three interview offers/three ranked programs total, when it really means three contiguous ranks.

In actuality, they obviously had 12 interviews and ranked 12 derm programs and didn't match, but they don't show up at number 12 in the official data because they weren't ranked contiguous.

Thus we see how data can be misleading. There are undoubtedly people from those data who ranked many more total derm programs.