Dermatology program at Wright State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

ladydoc2be

I'll be entering Wright State in the fall, and I was just wondering if anybody on here knew anything about their dermatology program. Is it any good? I didn't even know they had a program until recently. On their website it says they do not currently have any active basic science research projects going on. Is that a bad thing? I'm glad that my home school has a derm program, but I'm wondering how good is this program?

Members don't see this ad.

ladydoc2be said:
I'll be entering Wright State in the fall, and I was just wondering if anybody on here knew anything about their dermatology program. Is it any good? I didn't even know they had a program until recently. On their website it says they do not currently have any active basic science research projects going on. Is that a bad thing? I'm glad that my home school has a derm program, but I'm wondering how good is this program?
If the program is accredited, it meets the AAD requirements and should be fine-it will teach you what you need to know..Lack of basic science research does not mean much if the program is clinically oriented.Less academic programs tend not to have much basic research.If you are interested in Derm and are looking forward to a residency then consider any program you have a shot at as good.Only those with very top credentials can pick and choose between programs.

They pretty much exclusively accept WSU graduates. At least that's what has happened the last few years. I think it is very clinically oriented. Dr. Trevino, the head of the derm program, is a really nice guy and a great dermatologist. Enjoy WSU. You'll get a good education and the matchlist is improving every year. This year 7 people matched into ortho- not bad for a little community med school with a class size of 90.

Members don't see this ad :)
cjw0918 said:
They pretty much exclusively accept WSU graduates. At least that's what has happened the last few years. I think it is very clinically oriented. Dr. Trevino, the head of the derm program, is a really nice guy and a great dermatologist. Enjoy WSU. You'll get a good education and the matchlist is improving every year. This year 7 people matched into ortho- not bad for a little community med school with a class size of 90.

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering because I looked at the derm match list and it seemed like WSU only matched 1 person. Also my personal dermatologist here in OH didn't even know they had a program. She's quite knowledgeable so since she didn't know of their program I just wanted to find out if it was an actual running program. Glad to hear that Dr. Trevino is nice. I'll be sure to meet up with him once I get there.

ladydoc2be said:
Thanks for the info. I was just wondering because I looked at the derm match list and it seemed like WSU only matched 1 person. Also my personal dermatologist here in OH didn't even know they had a program. She's quite knowledgeable so since she didn't know of their program I just wanted to find out if it was an actual running program. Glad to hear that Dr. Trevino is nice. I'll be sure to meet up with him once I get there.

FYI. Wright State University's Dermatology Residency Program is currently under probation from the ACGME (Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education). I have heard that Wright State is working hard to rectify the problem. But just be aware that there accreditation status is being threatened.

http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/
- click on "Accreditation Decisions"
- select "Programs Currently With Unfavorable Decisions"

porokeratosis said:
FYI. Wright State University's Dermatology Residency Program is currently under probation from the ACGME (Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education). I have heard that Wright State is working hard to rectify the problem. But just be aware that there accreditation status is being threatened.

http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/
- click on "Accreditation Decisions"
- select "Programs Currently With Unfavorable Decisions"

Huh. Good to know. Do you have any idea what the problem is?