Dermatology NPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermie333

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The status of academically trained dermatology NPs has not been touched on in a while so I wanted to see if there was any update, especially given today's NYT article. I am aware of an academic program that is in the midst of hiring NPs to train them to become dermatology NPs (not DNPs like USF tried to do a few years ago). Does anyone know how common a practice this is? Has anyone had experience with this at an academic center? I realize many private Derm's do this but academics seems like a bigger beast.

Members don't see this ad.

The status of academically trained dermatology NPs has not been touched on in a while so I wanted to see if there was any update, especially given today's NYT article. I am aware of an academic program that is in the midst of hiring NPs to train them to become dermatology NPs (not DNPs like USF tried to do a few years ago). Does anyone know how common a practice this is? Has anyone had experience with this at an academic center? I realize many private Derm's do this but academics seems like a bigger beast.

I don't think it is very common. I did my residency at a place that just started to bring aboard NPs. As far as I know, the program never got off the ground (at last count, they only have 1 remaining).

The knowledge gap is pretty big, I believe it gets magnified in an academic practice.

Reactions: 1 user