Dermatology for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srd12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am IMG and I am starting my preparation for USMLE. I have completed my graduation. I am interested in dermatology residency in USA.
I know that I should get 250+ in steps.
I have honours in many subjects and a good record in medical school.

What are chances of IMG matching?

Should I go for externship or research fellowship ? And do they take IMG ?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am IMG and I am starting my preparation for USMLE. I have completed my graduation. I am interested in dermatology residency in USA.
I know that I should get 250+ in steps.
I have honours in many subjects and a good record in medical school.

What are chances of IMG matching?

Should I go for externship or research fellowship ? And do they take IMG ?

As you are probably aware, it's an uphill battle.

I've known a few IMGs who matched into derm, the pathway usually does involve a research fellowship in order to make connections with derm faculty. My advice would be to find a program that has a history of taking IMGs for their research fellows AND ensuring that they match. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
To be more blunt —

If you “merely” get a 250 and apply all over, your chances as an IMG are essentially zero.

If you get some good connections by spending between 1-3 years doing research for those who have “power” over residency selection, AND have the credentials your chances will go from zero to “more than zero but still slim.”

A good amount of luck plays into getting a spot from your position in addition to hard work/smarts.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks
How can I get research?
How should I apply?
Where can I get research fellowship?

As you are probably aware, it's an uphill battle.

I've known a few IMGs who matched into derm, the pathway usually does involve a research fellowship in order to make connections with derm faculty. My advice would be to find a program that has a history of taking IMGs for their research fellows AND ensuring that they match. Good luck!

Is it possible for me to connect them via you?
That would really be helpful.

To be more blunt —

If you “merely” get a 250 and apply all over, your chances as an IMG are essentially zero.

If you get some good connections by spending between 1-3 years doing research for those who have “power” over residency selection, AND have the credentials your chances will go from zero to “more than zero but still slim.”

A good amount of luck plays into getting a spot from your position in addition to hard work/smarts.

Thanks
How can I get research?
How should I apply?

Thanks
How can I get research?
How should I apply?
Hi.. I'm also an IMG who wants to go into dermat.. can u tell me whether you got any research fellowship or not? If yes then please tell me how? It would be much appreciated.
Thank you.