Dermatographism: How common?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew how common of a condition dermatographism is. I happen to have this condition, and I've been doing research on it and I was wondering how common it was- every doctor (all non-dermatologists) I see keeps telling me it s a very unusual disorder. Despite my best efforts I've been unable to find specific info on how frequent (% of the population, # of cases per 1,000 people, etc.) it actually is. Anyone have any idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Praetorian said:
I was wondering if anyone knew how common of a condition dermatographism is. I happen to have this condition, and I've been doing research on it and I was wondering how common it was- every doctor (all non-dermatologists) I see keeps telling me it s a very unusual disorder. Despite my best efforts I've been unable to find specific info on how frequent (% of the population, # of cases per 1,000 people, etc.) it actually is. Anyone have any idea?

can't be that uncommon. know 3 girls at school with it and my wife has it.

Interesting......maybe the FP and IM docs I've dealt with are just oblivious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Praetorian said:
Interesting......maybe the FP and IM docs I've dealt with are just oblivious.

In the New York area, it seems to be very common. I get people coming in saying that they get raised handprints, can write their names on their skin and it would stay for a while, etc. I'm going into FP, and it is seen alot in the outpatient setting when patients come in with other complaints.

I think it's definately related to some type of sensitivity reaction, but what exactly, i'm not sure. I even had one patient tell me that she was the only one in her family with it.

Alot of times though, they are told by the attending that there is no treatment available, and to keep the skin moisturized. I always wondered if more could be done.

Personally I've found great relief from a combination of Zyrtec (10 mg PO BID) and Singulair (10 mg PO once per day). For severe flare ups (about once a month, or whenever I forget to take my Zyrtec, but still much better than every few days), I find that 50 mg of Benadryl PO normally does the trick, although in extremely severe cases, I have to give myself a shot of epi to break the cycle because otherwise it progresses to a point where it coveres large parts of my legs, hands, feets, and occasionally my arms but never my trunk or face. It's very strange....

Praetorian said:
Personally I've found great relief from a combination of Zyrtec (10 mg PO BID) and Singulair (10 mg PO once per day). For severe flare ups (about once a month, or whenever I forget to take my Zyrtec, but still much better than every few days), I find that 50 mg of Benadryl PO normally does the trick, although in extremely severe cases, I have to give myself a shot of epi to break the cycle because otherwise it progresses to a point where it coveres large parts of my legs, hands, feets, and occasionally my arms but never my trunk or face. It's very strange....

That is really interesting. Do you think you have any triggers, like heat or emotional distress? Although this is a benign condition, I know how bothersome it can be. Thank you for sharing!

Heat, emotional distress, shea butter, and various other things will set off an attack. Sometimes they just start for no apparent reason.....really annoying. Any other questions? I've been asked by one of the attendings for the local FP residency to take pictures the next time I have an attack so that he can use them for teaching purposes. If anyone is interested in seeing them, please let me know and I will post them.

uuhhhh... i'm fine without the pictures, thanks. lol but anyone else is welcome!

Thank you so much for sharing though!

Oh....sorry....didn't mean to gross anyone out.