Derm to Surg Subspecialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2016md

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Always wanted to do surgery, but applied to derm due to family pressure and stupid reasons. Seriously regretting it. I will be at a good academic prelim IM in June. I was a competitive applicant: 260+ Step 1 and 2, AOA, research.

1) Can I switch from a prelim IM to prelim surg without a match violation? I have to stay at least 45 days in my current program before I can resign, but would any surgery prelim take someone who is already a month and a half behind?

2) Will my funding be an issue? Derm is only 4 years and I'm already wasting 1 year of my funding on a prelim med year. Is any program going to even consider me?

I'm monitoring apds and residentswap, but I'm not confident. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

you'll have a real hard time convincing a surgical program that you really want to be a surgeon. good luck.

Just eat the IM year and apply to surgery programs on time. The ACGME will let you out of the match for a change of heart. You'll get in and the fact that you're walking away from Derm will convince the programs just fine. Funding issues are overblown.

Wait, just saw this is for a sub. Think you're ok but...

Members don't see this ad :)
you'll have a real hard time convincing a surgical program that you really want to be a surgeon. good luck.

Why do you say that? Most of my research is in a surgical subspecialty.

Always wanted to do surgery, but applied to derm due to family pressure and stupid reasons. Seriously regretting it. I will be at a good academic prelim IM in June. I was a competitive applicant: 260+ Step 1 and 2, AOA, research.

1) Can I switch from a prelim IM to prelim surg without a match violation? I have to stay at least 45 days in my current program before I can resign, but would any surgery prelim take someone who is already a month and a half behind?

2) Will my funding be an issue? Derm is only 4 years and I'm already wasting 1 year of my funding on a prelim med year. Is any program going to even consider me?

You could always specialize more in MOHS procedures and other Derm procedures. If that's not enough for you, then it might be worth a discussion with the PD for your desired subspecialty at the place your IM rotation is at. That'll give you an idea of what you might be able to manage. Getting a position at that location is probably ideal as well. You will need to complete your current intern year in IM, though. Just realize that if you do switch out of Derm, that door is likely closed forever, so make sure that is what you want to do.

Don't quit after you start. If you do that, you might end up being "off cycle" even if you could find a surgical prelim spot. That means you would need to finish the prelim spot late to get the year to "count" towards your training. This sometimes happens with people who might have visa issues, but the timing can be worked out over the course of a full categorical residency. If you're talking about a 1 year prelim, it's going to be a problem.

As the others said, plan to finish this year and apply in the next cycle if you are 100% sure. Spend the time locking down the narrative about why you want to switch.

In which surgical subspecialty is your research? To which specialty do you want to apply?

You are in luck. I am an otolaryngology resident seeking a dermatology position. We should talk ASAP

Reactions: 1 users
Why did you even apply for a medicine prelim year? Seems strange that you were torn between derm and surgery, and didn't think to do a surgery prelim. That would have given you the perfect "out".

But to answer your question, there are many surgery prelim programs that have a hard time filling. So if you've got a stellar CV, as I suspect someone who matched into derm does, I think you've got a decent chance of finding a program to take you. But there's going to be logistical headaches: How do you make up the 45 days (+ moving time) of your medicine internship? Do you have to do an extra month or two of your surgery prelim? Will your future surgery residency work with you to take you 1-2 months off-cycle. I think your best bet is to talk to the surgery program at the hospital where you matched for derm.

How are people allowed to just switch residency spots? How does that even make sense? Why would a program accept a stranger that they didn't interview?