Derm Summer Preceptorship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maroonie12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all!
I'm currently an MS1 and making plans for the summer. Reading through the posts, doing research in a derm related study seems to be popular. For 3 summers in my undergrad, I did research in the basic sciences, no publications though. Will this pad my resume when I apply or will more research be necessary?
My plans for the summer was to take a month and work with a dermatologist, just to get a feel of what i'm working towards. Is this the best route to take?
Also, the program i'm applying to has a questionnaire with of the q's being: "Why do you want to study derm?" I thought that was the whole idea of doing a preceptorship. How would you guys answer?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi y'all!
I'm currently an MS1 and making plans for the summer. Reading through the posts, doing research in a derm related study seems to be popular. For 3 summers in my undergrad, I did research in the basic sciences, no publications though. Will this pad my resume when I apply or will more research be necessary?
My plans for the summer was to take a month and work with a dermatologist, just to get a feel of what i'm working towards. Is this the best route to take?
Also, the program i'm applying to has a questionnaire with of the q's being: "Why do you want to study derm?" I thought that was the whole idea of doing a preceptorship. How would you guys answer?
Thanks.
1. I don't think so, A. it was in undergrad (med school research seen as better) and B. no pubs. So yes more research might be in order.

2. Maybe not, a research project might give you more bang for your buck/time. Following a derm around without much clinic experience might not yeild to much, you could probably do this one day a week for the summer and get the same out of it.

3. Answer it as truthful as you can. I'd answer it in that I'm a visual person, my family has some skin problems, and that if I had good ears I'd might go into cards, or steady hands I'd be a surgeon, but my talents/skills is visual so derm and then path is the route for me.