Derm residency for MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dermatophile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MD/PhD from a Top U.S. medical school (let's just say in the top 3). My stats are as follows for now; can anyone tell me whether I stand a good chance for a derm residency. I've become very interested in Derm purely for the breadth of fascinating research questions, and I would love to have a career as an academic dermatologist. Ideally I'd like to stay in my home program.

MS 1, 2 Grades : Mostly honors level, a few regular passes.
PhD work in Neuroscience studying how skin gets re-innervated following injury. 6 papers published - 2 first author, both in the most prestigious journal in Neuroscience.
Clinical Grades : not bad, but not spectacular either. (I've only done 2 clerkships yet).
USMLE Step 1 : 240
AOA : Not yet...

Other than doing exceptionally well in the next few clinical clerkships/electives, do I need to do more research in dermatology to be a competitive applicant? What other advice does anyone have?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MD/PhD from a Top U.S. medical school (let's just say in the top 3). My stats are as follows for now; can anyone tell me whether I stand a good chance for a derm residency. I've become very interested in Derm purely for the breadth of fascinating research questions, and I would love to have a career as an academic dermatologist. Ideally I'd like to stay in my home program.

PhD work in Neuroscience studying how skin gets re-innervated following injury. 6 papers published - 2 first author, both in the most prestigious journal in Neuroscience.
Clinical Grades : not bad, but not spectacular either. (I've only done 2 clerkships yet).

Other than doing exceptionally well in the next few clinical clerkships/electives, do I need to do more research in dermatology to be a competitive applicant? What other advice does anyone have?

I'd say you have a great chance, that PhD well make most programs wet their pants. Add a 240 step 1, and a top 3 school would be icing on the cake. Add AOA and some derm research and the question then becomes where do you want to match not if.

You are clearly a very strong candidate,but its not a guarantee.You need to do more to show your particular strong interest in Derm some research would be helpful. Getting to know faculty especially in your home program is important.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks both of you for your comments. I've spoken to the derm residency director in my home program and I've received some very positive comments back. I'm planning on starting up a clinical research project to support my basic science work. As for AOA, our school doesn't give it out until the 4th year, so I guess my residency interviews would be done before then.

Thanks again to you both.

Really? I thought having a PhD was supposed to be enough research experience for just about anything. I would've thought some derm electives would be the best use of the remaining time.

Of course, I defer to your expertise. I'm just curious.

-X

... some research would be helpful.