derm research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabzzz332

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently graduated, and i am a foreign medical graduate, but an american citizen. I was wondering if anyone knows of any places in manhattan, or boston, that will offer research in dermatology. I wanted to do research for a year or two before applying for residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm...I would think the big universities in those regions would offer the best research opportunites. Not sure if they have random openings but I would start there.

That being said, I've looked at your other posts and what I would recommend is probably trying to figure out what you really want to do first before committing to a research project. There is a fairly significant difference between the fields of derm, ophtho, and anesthesiology and you may want to make sure you have a genuine interest in one of them before committing to research. (Let me amend that...interest in the field itself and not just in the lifestyle-friendliness of the field)

Apart from the sound advice posted above, I'd also like to add, that even with solid Derm research for 1-2 years, your chances of landing a Residency in Derm as a IMG is remote at best. Usually, less than a handful non-US graduates makes it into Derm, and those that do will almost invariably have considerable previous derm experience, not infrequently including a full Derm board certification in their country of training. So for this reason alone, it would probably be prudent advice to look towards other fields, unless you already have had a significant exposure to Derm.

Hi,

I just recently graduated, and i am a foreign medical graduate, but an american citizen. I was wondering if anyone knows of any places in manhattan, or boston, that will offer research in dermatology. I wanted to do research for a year or two before applying for residency.

Hi,

I just recently graduated, and i am a foreign medical graduate, but an american citizen. I was wondering if anyone knows of any places in manhattan, or boston, that will offer research in ophthalmology. I wanted to do research for a year or two before applying for residency.

Are you applying for Derm or Ophtho (considering you posted in both?)