Derm Journals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the top dermatology journals or ones that are ideal to publish in (ex. cell biology, nature)? I was searching through the forum and did not see journal of investigative dermatology and was not sure how it compared to others.

On a more general note, how significant is publishing a basic science research paper as a third author (or fourth, maybe second) especially in comparison to case reports?

Members don't see this ad.

This question, I feel, may best be divided into 2 categories:
academia and practicality.

For a derm resident, the must read journals are:
JAAD, Archives, Derm Surg, Pedi Derm +/- Cutis, J of Drugs in Derm, Cosmetic Derm (and I may add that Derm Times and Skin&Allergy publications are nice summaries as well)

Those in Academia may feel that the following are necessary:JAAD, BJD, JID, Archives

Let it be known that the JID is a very respectable publication for basic science. However, I can never seem to get past the abstract of the 1st article I try to read in it. It does have a nice 2-page summary of important articles in the beginning that may ultimately wind up on future boards/inservices.

As for what to publish and where to submit, my first recommendation to those future applicants is to publish in respectable journals as frequently as you can. Furthermore, 3 case reports in Cutis do not equal a long basic science project that eventuates in publication in the JID (despite where your name falls on the author list) nor will a review in a throw-away journal equal a CME in the JAAD. Non-derm publications may add to your CV depending on content/place (articles in the Lancet or Nature, I assure you, will not be frowned upon come interview day).

Obviously, the examples I mention take a lot of time, which is why many must take a year or two off before applying. I will add that published articles are almost always better than not having anything published or submitted.

If you get a paper accepted in NEJM, even as the 9th author, be happy. (best journal around, methinks).
While I understand the specific questions, it's difficult to answer specifically.
Personally, I would value a secondary authorship in a high-impact journal higher than a (first author) case report in a second-tier Derm journal, but others might very likely disagree.
As pertains getting a Residency, most program directors would look for:
A) Evidence of interest in the field of Dermatology
B) Evidence of research experience.
Obviously, combining A and B is great. And case reports are a nice starting point. However, evidence of substantial contribution to a high-impact paper is basically always a strong plus, even if it's not specifically related to Derm.

Do note that Derm by tradition, and the fact that most residency spots are at academic centers, fairly biased towards a research component. However, Derm research is a very wide field, from basic sci and animal models over clinical trials to epidemiology, so there's ample opportunity to get involved in research, also as a medical student.