Derm For US IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eur

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently a US IMG in a UK school. My school isnt that bad as we had people match into really competitive residencies such as integrated plastics, radiology, surgery, etc., but obviously the fact still remains it is still off of the US shore. I have 4 years remaining of this school(out of 5), and I was wondering if it is possible for me to gain entrance into a derm residency? If I obviously do really well on the boards, do 5 or so away electives what are the possibilities? I do research at an institution in the states during my summer but I do it in other fields, but they are closely related to derm. If worse comes to worse, can I do IM first for like a year and then transfer into it?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Frankly, it will be exceedingly difficult, as there's a very large number of highly qualified US graduate applicants for each and every residency spot out there, so Program Directors really have no pressing need to look at non-US graduates.
Frankly, the few non-US graduates that I have bumped into have completed all or at least some Derm training in the country where they went to med school, often followed by significant US Derm research experience, so that might be an option.

Even though UK schools (GMC approved medical schools, that is, not schools like St. Christopher etc.) generally have good reputations in the US, you'd still be handicapped from the outset, so you'd really need something special on your cv to make you stand out - in addition to a pretty stellar Step 1 score, such as LoR's from internationally known Dermatologists and/or published Derm research.

eur said:
Hi,
. If worse comes to worse, can I do IM first for like a year and then transfer into it?
thanks
I agree with above post.A non US grad would have to have something truly exceptional to have a serious shot or somehow cultivate very influential contacts.
Doing significant reserch in the US for a year or more would help.
Not sure what you mean by transferring into it after a year of medicine, as Derm requires a prelim year (usually medicine but could be peds ,Transitional)

Just a follow-up to clarify the link between IM and Derm:
In the really old days, Derm was actually a subspecialization under IM. Even today, there's some (very few) highly specialized combined IM and Derm programs.
As pointed out by ny skindoc, Derm requires a prelim year, which is often, but need not be, IM. However, quite a few are under the impression that they can opt for a IM residency, and subsequently apply for a Derm residency. That is generally not a viable option, due to residency funding issues.